Here comes Virginia

This is just more opinions and nothing concrete. You have no idea why Van Noy wasn’t starting. Most likely either another behind the seems reason or the lack of knowledge of the defense and experience. Talent isn’t the only reason to be on the field.

As far as the guy who refused to play the 3-8, sit him or send him packing. Complete disrupter and detrimental to the team. This is college not the pros.

Sitaki knows what he’s doing. The real brains say it’s because of all the injuries we went back to the 3-8 defense. Those are top commentators of the BYU teams.

Just more conjecture and lack of understanding college football… Thanks for trying though Scott. It further proves our point about you.

• He said it is unfair of the fans to ask “Why isn’t their more pressure on the QB” when most sets on the defense is 3 down, which means it is a 3 on 5 or 6 man. He explained that even if the d-lineman got pass the first player there was always a secondary player chop blocking or smacking them down.

Agreed. I put no blame on the players for our lack of pressure on the QB. In addition, if I were a pass rushing DE, why would I sign with BYU if it means I’ll probably finish my career with 5 sacks when I could sign with Utah and get 20 sacks and way more exposure for a possible NFL career?

• Olsen was asked by his partner, could BYU move to a different set and be better, his answer was “No” we do not have the talent to do that.

Interesting because we heard for months from BYU coaches that we were deeper than ever across the board. Are we to believe that we are so shallow that losing Ellis and Pili means we have to surrender on defense? Apparently that’s what Olsen suggests.

• His final point was interesting, he said even though it drives him nuts to watch the drop 8 defense, “It works” for BYU because they are 6-2. The interesting part about his comment was BYU defense plays for the score, meaning if you put 24 on us, we will score 28. He mentioned each of the wins and the scores to illustrate this point.

Olsen may think “it works” for Sitake, but it doesn’t work for me because it’s boooooooooooooring to watch. I would consider it a sin to miss a BYU game back in the day, but now I find myself recording the games and fast forwarding through a lot of it. Just terrible to watch.

And you haven’t coached before. Players who refuse to do what you ask wreck the team solidarity. I watched a coach my first year coaching basketball get the same treatment from one player. I told him to drop him from the team but he was the best player and dad had money. The rest of the team began to follow the knucklehead. They started making fun of him. They went 2-22. The last home game o e parent cussed him out and the coach returned the gestures and words. Needless to say, he was fired. We ended up with a really good coach and I coached 10 more years with him. Never let a player do that. They can object and come discuss it with the coach. But, the player is not the coach. Sorry you don’t get it.

When are you going to figure out winning is the name of the game. Sorry you are soooo board. I’ll take the wins…

How can you pressure when 3 guys are pushing up on 5 offensive guys? Just askin for a friend.

Love, love, love Hans and his insight.

Rather then beat a dead horse anymore, I’ll just say I would love to have the BYU D of the Utah/ASU game. It was creative and effective. To prove a point:
TOP BYU 35:26- Utah 24:34
TOP in the Baylor vs. BYU, Baylor had the ball a full 11 minutes longer then BYU. Fun Fact: BYU has had TOP in only 2 games this year…Utah and Utah State.

Talk about gassing out a BYU Defense.

Talking about beating a dead horse… the coach has already said the injuries leave him with those who can’t do it. Get back some players and then they can do it. Especially in the secondary

Average teams have injuries and play average. Great teams have injuries and then continue to play great.

The question isn’t whose great. P5’s recruit deeper, period. When BYU is in the Big12 we will recruit deeper as well. So, the alternative is to change the defense as well as the offense if necessary. Although, looks like our offense is deeper than our defense.
Aside from that, the schedule we have and being
6-2 is great! Everyone in here needs a better attitude. Like our team.

I am talking about the outside backer staying home on the edges. In fact, Kalani himself in the Boise State loss mentioned that several of his “new” players did not stay home during the game and that is why BSU was able to get outside a lot.

This is the concern with the drop 8 defense. It allows for the most part the other teams offense to be on the field longer than BYU offense. You can’t score a whole lot of points if your offense is sitting on the sidelines.

Who is injured? Ellis and Pilli that is all!
So are you telling me that two of the eleven players on defense is what makes or breaks his defense?

BTW, Kalani also said “All teams have injuries and have players banged up”, so the injury excuse is just that an Excuse! Now, are you going to argue with Kalani?

I would take the word of a former all MWC and all American defensive players who played College and in the NFL (Hans Olsen) perspective over yours any day.

I would say “Average coaches have injuries and coach average, Great coaches coach with injuries and overcome!:open_mouth:

Sorry could not resist!

But I do get your point, All summer the coaches talked about how deep in talent they were. That for the first time in a long time that they had depth at every position. Just wondering not if that is true or not.

Or if your D gasses out.

You might look up all the injuries on the defense. You won’t. But, I suggest you do.

Yes, other teams have injuries. But, P5 teams have far more 4 and 5 star players than BYU and G5 teams ever do. For the infinity time, we don’t. Our lower level players aren’t quite ready for prime time. They will be next year.

grasshopper: “Our lower level players aren’t quite ready for prime time. They will be next year.”

Me: Or the year after next year, or the year after that or the year 2525, if man is still alive.

Great song! Going into the Big12 will help BYU recruit more 4 and 5 star athletes elevating this problem. So, by the year 3535, we
Will playing for a National Championship every year.

Per 247 Recruiting:
Only 4 programs (Bama, OSU, Georgia and Clemson) sign on average more than 2.6 five stars per year. The top 15 programs average about 8-12 four stars per year, and the next 15 programs average about 5 four star kids per year. The next 20 average around 2 four star signees per year.

From 2010-2020 BYU had 3 total. Joining the B12 will help BYU hopefully sign 2 or 3 four star kids per year, which would be a BIG increase. But the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of D1 programs live on 3 star recruits with a few 4 star kids each year. There is no reason BYU should get drilled if just a couple kids are hurt.

8 four star recruits. In 4 years they have 32 of them playing. 12 five star recruits in 4 year. 22 possible on both sides of the ball enough for 1st and 2nd stringers.
Also, would we not get more 4 and 5 star LDS recruits as well?