I have a question for the experts

Anyone can answer but I am guessing that only the Hopper will know the answer and perhaps Floyd because he is an official. They seem to know the answer to everything.

When a team scores a basket and after the ball has passed through the net, how much time does the team that was scored on have to inbound the ball?

I know when the official hands the ball to a player, after a dead ball play, the player has five seconds to inbound the ball. That is a bit different than after a scored basket because although the ball is dead, a team can be given a timeout right after a made basket. So when is the ball live? The clock is still running so it isn’t dead? It’s a bit confusing.

Also I am wondering if anyone else noticed that after BYU scored a basket, especially in the last 5 minutes of the game, Kansas State would not grab the ball and inbound it. They would let it bounce around for awhile and thern casually walk over and take their time grabbing the ball before inbounding it. A couple of times they would grab it and toss it to the ref as well instead of inbounding it. If they grab it and toss it to the offical isn’t that a violation? I know they were doing it on purpose because it happened after every scored basket by BYU and it helped KSU in two ways. 1. It allowed them to waste several seconds in an effort to manage the clock and 2. it kept them from having to inbound the ball and try to break BYU’s press, which they did not handle very well.

Anyone can answer if they understand what I am asking. If you don’t understand please don’t create a different question or try to claim that I am criticizing officials. I honestly want to know.

They have 5 seconds once they secure the ball. If they throw the ball to the official the time is supposed to be ticking. I’m not sure if there is any delay of game. Floyd probably can find that out.

For your information, I thought the refs did a poor job today both ways. But BYU’s 3 point shooting was atrocious. All around shooting was poor.

I don’t know everything; I simply know how to google a question:

Your answer is:
The inbound passer, a player from the offense, must stay behind the designated line (sideline or baseline) while making a pass to a teammate within five seconds (Rule 6.6).

BTW, the clock is only stopped within the last minute of a half or end of the game. Otherwise, the clock keeps ticking.

Live Ball: On a throw-in, the ball is at the disposal of the thrower-in. (6.2.b, 6.4)

This is because the 30 second shot clock does not start until the offensive player that the ball was inbounded to touches the ball. (2.b.3)

Hope that helps from a know-it-all like myself.

Yes that helps. I don’t really like the rule or rules on this one. Every time BYU scored, up until the last minute, KSU would take extra time before grabbing the ball and inbounding it. The clock kept ticking and I guess it’s okay. They also would tip the ball or toss it to the official after a made basket. With a 10-12 point lead and more than a minute left it seems like this is a strategy that stays within the rules boundary but is kind of weak overall. I think they knew exactly what they were doing as it probably wasted an extra 20-30 seconds over the course of the final 6-7 minutes.

In addition to that, and it kind of goes with the Hoppers comments, they don’t seem to call 3 seconds in the key at all or travelling very often, if at all.

I won’t comment on the specific officiating in this game, the Hopper said it was bad both ways so it doesn’t really matter then.

This is one reason I don’t watch much basketball anymore.

They don’t call anymore:

1. Traveling (changing pivot foot or taking more than 3 steps to slam the ball)
  2. Palming the ball
  3. 3 seconds violation
  4. offensive charges (although I am hearing that this rule might start getting enforced in the next few years).
  5. Push off (you know like what Jordan did to Russell in the Championship game Bulls vs Jazz :open_mouth: )

there are other rules that are violated, but these are some of the most basic ones that are never called.

I would say this is true in the NBA. But, the games in college that I’ve watched these are all called. The one that isn’t called every time is the push off. But, most of the time it is if the rule is known and what the officials are looking for. If the arm is extended then it’s almost always called.

No push-off by Jordan, broken ankles Russell. :wink:

Man, some fans just can’t let go and accept a loss. Pretty sad. That was like 30 years ago? I can see the judgment seat of God with Jazz fans when asked if they will bow their knees and confess Jesus is the Christ. The Jazz fans will go, “But, but, but Jordan! Whaaaaaaaaa!!!
:rofl:

The push off is always the first thing I hear from a Jazz fan when I mention I was a Jordon era Bulls fan.
Jazz were second best team twice. Absent Jordan, who knows?

The thing is with the NBA, refs hardly ever call a foul at the very end of a game. They let the players decide close games as much as possible. As a defender you have to expect things like push offs and be stronger. Jordan was great. But I still think Wilt is the GOAT.

And even if Jordan helped himself a bit with a push-off, it is likely he still would have had a clear shot over Russell. Why is that never acknowledged by Jazz fans. They insist it was all about the push-off.
I think Jordan was GOAT, but was also a big Wilt fan (watch the old clips of him in college and early pros - a gazelle). I think he was the most DOMINATE NBA player, but Jordan GOAT. And yes, those too statements are consistent.

That is why I put a :open_mouth: at the end.
If you watch the video, there is no clear evidence that Jordan did or did not push off Russell. The angle of the video does not really show it. So what most fans do is defend their team.

If you are Jazz fan - MJ pushed
If you are Bull fan - MJ did not push.
The only thing I know for certain is the two Jazz/Bulls championship games were some of the highest viewed games EVER in the NBA (up until that time) for a Championship series.

What I do know, is the officials called the rules differently when MJ was involved.
Talk about “Star treatment”.

Not in the NBA, if you are star player like MJ or Kobe Bryant the games were called differently than the normal player in the NBA.

I did catch your smiley face so my repy was not directed at you. Just a fun reply. Agree on video and your other comments. Man, I miss watching Jordan play. I watch maybe 40 minutes a year of NBA basketball - if on the TV at someone else’s house.

Perhaps. I might even acknowledge that. But Jordan being elevated, elevated all others. They all made more $$ because of Jordan. Kinda like Tiger did in golf

I was saying at the end of games referees in the NBA would not call fouls. The last seconds.

I think that series was the funniest I have ever been around. I worked the Delta Center during the games, and it was a lot of fun. My friends who worked closer to the Bulls bench said the players were great with the staff. None of this “I am a super star” stuff towards the staff.