In game comments against Washington

Let me try one more time. Washington’s holding penalties came in the second half once the game was over. Ours were in the first quarter as we were going in for scores. The game would have been 14-14 at half time. Not 21-0. Understand now?

I think your dense-understand now?

The Cougars could play Washington 100 times and lose 98 times. Their team was more athletic and speedier than our guys and their coaches outcoached our coaches. Understand now?

Roy, I’m glad somebody finally mentioned our coaching. Coach Pete and his staff made our guys look like rank amateurs. Pete was laughing his a$$ off over there as we not only rushed only 3-4 guys, but did so in a safe lane rush–we were actually trying NOT to create pressure. Meanwhile we essentially played prevent the entire game. Tuiaki did that last year vs Wisconsin and made their below average QB look like Steve Young. Is our defensive talent really SOOOOO bad that we cannot even try to make offenses uncomfortable? Bronco did it regularly, with the same talent we have now. Our new DC seems content to play prevent the entire game. Yes, UW is far superior; but it was terrible that when the game started to get away, our staff didn’t have the courage to at least TRY to make impact plays. Stake et al just sat back thinking, “Gosh, if we can only keep it respectable.” I was disgusted watching us play so passively. Ditto our dink and dunk offense. UW just loaded the box with 8 and sometimes 9 guys. They know we have a QB who A) cannot run and B) cannot throw downfield. I’d rather lose with a guy who is fun to watch. Our offense is terrible and, worse, it is incredibly boring to watch. The kids were out there trying their hardest, but our coaches got outclassed, and big time.

That can’t be right, Tom. We’re playing “smashmouth” football, and are being very methodical in wearing teams out and in tricking them with our jet sweeps. We just can’t have games where we can’t run the ball and can’t throw the ball, either. Grimes won’t let that happen. He demands accountability, and that means that we’re not going to have offensively futile games.

I don’t hate to say “I told you so.” We have to be able to throw the ball downfield. While we can win some games sometimes with <200 yards passing, this won’t work for many other games, and it makes it very easy to game plan for and stop us. If teams play assignment-sound football (like preparing for the triple option) and load the box and force us to throw downfield, we are in a world of hurt. We’re not going to have many Wisconsin surprises where we’re overlooked, and teams are going to have ample film on how to neuter our offense. Unless we can keep them honest by being able to complete passes downfield.

Once again, you and others should watch the first quarter over again. We moved right down the field twice and would have scored except for the refs who would throw a flag as we were towards the end of big plays. Pretty obvious the pac-12 officials weren’t going to allow BYU to beat another highly ranked team.
Listening to some of the players On SN they say they weren’t trusting each other and the game strategy the coaches planned out. That’s what I saw too in the game. Players were hesitant in reacting. Not this they are too talented. Wisconsin was talented too, right!

Was that English?

Add me to your growing no response list-i know BYU never holds but I doubt you know what holding looks like. I know critical fumbles were unexplained forces of the universe. Poor defense was merely the result of lack of enough sleep. There are cosmic forces that caused a missed field goal or we would have probably won. The officials sure blew that one. The running game was pathetic because the officials didn’t like the shoes the backs wore. All in all the officials sure blotched that one. You should probably lodge a protest with the NCAA-I’m sure they will take you seriously-ugh

This is going to be hard to do but I am going to defend grasshopper here a bit and add to his frustration about pac-12 officiating or whomever officiated the game because I have seen it so many times it makes my head spin.

The biased calls when it matters to the game always go against BYU and then the makeup calls come in later, when the game is already decided, against their opponents. I have seen it over and over and over. Was it the difference in the outcome of the game? No, probably not but it is hard to say when the officiating isn’t objective from beginning to end.

If anybody who reads this hasn’t seen what I am talking about before then 1. You haven’t been watching very much football or 2. You have little to no idea what you are watching.

It happens in other sports as well… basketball is a big one too.

I agree and have seen it especially in the PAC12. Imo the best officiated conference is the SEC. However, in this case, BYU was holding and The hands were outside the shoulders and hanging on. Every BYU fan would live to cry discrimination, but in this instance the 2nd holding penalty was blatant, the first not as blatant, but could easily have been called

Agree, but it goes both ways… or at least it should. It doesn’t typically go both ways and that is what I complain about and see regularly. It is called a double standard and BYU is usually held to the higher standard because we have an honor code, etc.

It doesn’t make sense but it is real.

Yes in some cases I believe it does