Interesting thought over the New Year

We live in a time where contention and strife is all around us. From Politics to Social justice. Pandemic has aided in the divisiveness in our society. There seems to be a lack of common courtesy and understanding for those of opposing opinions.

As you find in the scriptures “These are truly dark times”.

I was able to watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy over the weekend, I know a waste of time, but I am old, and enjoy watching movies.

There was an interaction between Frodo and Gandalf that I thought applied to our current culture and how people handles things.

Frodo and Gandalf are talking about the darkness that is coming and what might happened in the future, as you know Frodo was given the charge to destroy the ring.

Here is the comment:
Frodo: “I wish it need not have happened in my time,”

Gandalf: “So do I, and so do all who live to see such times.

But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

It got me to thinking, the only thing I can really do and control in our current situation, is how I choose to react to it. I cannot change what others do or say and even act. I can only determine what I choose to do with the time I have been given.

• I can choose to be kind and to help others.
  • I can choose to look for the good in the world instead of focusing on the evil or bad.
  • I can choose to be an example of what peace the Gospel of Christ can bring to one inner soul during dark days.
  • I can choose not be offended by others.
  • I can choose to stand in “holy places”, while not be offensive or demeaning.

Strange how a movie quotes can get you to think of things, you might not normally do. I will be honest here, Christmas and New Years are two of the worst holidays for me. I won’t go into detail, but just know that the greatest day of the year for me is January 2nd when the “holidays” are over.

I hope this new year brings you all more joy and happiness.

1 Like

Some of the best quotes are in the movies. I was watching the new Wonder Woman WW84 movies with my wife. A thought came to me towards the end that answered a question a lot of people have about why does God let bad things happen. You know, why doesn’t answer all prayers with a yes, Ill do that for you. I won’t tell you how they answered it. I’ll wait until you watch the movie.

“He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool.” Brigham Young they say. But I cannot find the source. Though I repeat it all too often to remind myself.

I was going to mention that one to Floyd but opted not to. New year and everything. Out with the old and in with the new :sunglasses: