Is BYU seeing too many Transfer Player?

When we look at other Universities, is BYU really having a worse problem than other schools? I can’t find any current updates on the number of transfers. As of December 20th, there were 11 who transferred out. But, other schools have been hit a lot harder.

Tranfer List.PNG

Good information. I know a lot of people have been upset about the number of guys leaving (including me), but it is good to get some perspective knowing that other schools are seeing a lot more leave than BYU is.

I think, in some cases, a few of these big time programs are so loaded with talent that some guys leave due to lack of playing time. The thing that was upsetting about a few of the BYU players leaving is that they were guys who were starters so you wonder why they left.

It hurts when top players like the Barrington brothers and Pili leave.

BYU has had 11 transfer out. That’s not very many compared with the teams mentioned above. However, what hurts is the quality of the transfers. Many–Barrington brothers, Pili, Romney, Fano, even Holker and Conover–were at one time thought to be some important contributors to BYU’s beginning of the Big 12 era.

I was going to say the same thing. I can understand some of our transfers. Any QBs that don’t get playing time, I’d leave (btw, Conover was not getting reps because he was not that good, from an insider) , I can also understand a D player, our D was that bad. To lose the Barrington bros., that not only hurt but speaks NIL$$$ cha ching all over it.

Stan, did you see the NIL$ value besides their ratings in the On 3 article?

Thanks for the link. It’s 16 total transfers. 6 transfers in and 10 transfers out. We do need a few more especially on the lines and another QB or two for backup

Slovis should bring in a few. Knowing how good we are on key positions is a catalyst. Good talent wants $$.

I’ve heard also a few more receivers are possibly coming too. After watching Sol-Jay throw, another passing QB backup would be good. I’ve heard of a JC player looking at BYU too. Slovis should help.

I do see the NIL$ value listed, but I’m not sure how accurate the On3 algorithm is. Like anything, actual value is measured in what a party is willing to spend. For example, On3 also has a list of its top 100 NIL$ valued players. Bronny James is first at $7.5 million, Arch Manning is listed at $3.5 million, and Livvy Dunne–an LSU gymnast and Instagram star (her fan base must be old guys who watch gymnastics with their binoculars)–has an NIL value of $2.7 million. As I said, I don’t know how accurate those numbers are:

So, does only the individual player receive that money or is it given to the team or part of the team?

I believe NIL is an individual thing unless the player decides to share it. For example, you may recall that Antoine Davis, scoring machine out of Detroit Mercy, entered the transfer portal last summer. His coach who is also his father said that Antoine wanted to get as much NIL money as he could. He had a lot of suitors (his top five wereIKansas State, BYU, Maryland, Georgetown or going back to Detroit). BYU thought he was going to sign with the Cougars. But on the morning of his announcement he said he was returning to Detroit Mercy. The reason: He had just signed an NIL deal with a Chinese company that makes glow in the dark basketballs and hoodies with his name and number on them. The deal was worded so that his teammates would also receive NIL money.

On the flip side, a few weeks later Detroit Mercy’s Noah Waterman signed with BYU. So perhaps the shared amount isn’t very much…or NIL money means very little to Noah.

I’ve never heard of On3 before, so there you have it

I also don’t think Waterman could of gotten any NIL money. His game is only 3 point shooting and there are millions of kids that can make a 3.

I would have to question your inside source, I think ARod has no clue in how to coach a pocket passer like Conover.

The real test if Conover is any good is what he does at ASU. If he becomes the starter and has a good season, then I think I know who I can put the “He is not any good” banner (FYI, ARod).

People say our offense is going to be our strength next year, why?
Hall is gone (replaced by Slovis, but we really don’t know what we are going to get)
4 of the 5 offensive linemen are gone.
Our two best receivers are gone
And we have a Question mark at Running back. Yes, the guy from UNLV ran 1000 yards last year, but can he do that against the BIG12 teams?

I am most optimistic about our defense than our offense. Just based on who the new Defensive coaches are.

Fish seems to have a lot of great insider information on BYU sports. And, everyone outside the inner-know of BYU football were saying how strong of an arm Sol-Jay has and we know now that isn’t true. At least right now. So, I wouldn’t lay this on A-Rod. He knows how to coach QB’s. Both Wilson and Hall were mostly pocket passers that had mobility.
I agree that we simply don’t know what next year will be like. But, the transfer ins are as good as those who have left and there are more to come on both sides. The big question is the one you have. Are the Offense coaches going to be good enough. I believe they will be. Good enough to go 7-5 or 8-4 next year. Oh, Happy New Years!

Neither are pocket passers; they always have been a “dual threat” QB’s

As far as ARod is concerned, the reason that Wilson and Hall became so good is not because of working with Roderick, but because of their work with John Beck.

They ran very little. Because they have good mobility people sometimes looked at them as duel threats. Hall in particular. As we see in the pros, Wilson gets sacked a lot and doesn’t run much. A-Rod developed Hall into a pocket passer. Beck helped with their throwing motion is all. Players get help fromBeck but if they are going to play they will follow the OC first. That’s pretty basic.
You seem to be picking fights this year. I’m not. I’m just pointing out agreements with you and areas that I see differently like Fish does. Relax. It’s 2023 :blush:

I have watched both of these guys play in High School; both were Dual threats.

Beck group works on “All” aspects of being a QB on a higher level. Foot movement, throwing mechanics, reading defenses, etc.

Read a little deeper into my words and we aren’t that far apart. “Good” mobility means when the opening is good, they can run make good yardage. That’s not the same as the Heisman Trophy winner Williams.

You may be right about Beck and what he works on with players. But, do you have his agendas with players to confirm he goes over everything you stated? And where can we get a hold of this?

People say that because our D was soooo bad. Slovis is really good. with 4 years of P5 experience, the game has “Slowed” down. He has NFL talent.

I am not so high on the Transfer RB, his highlights show he is strong line Brooks but i do think Ropati is an every play back. His agility on that screen pass blew me away. He is also known for moving the pile and never losing yardage. Upgrade from “touch me and I fall” Katoa, absolutely. Brooks was hurt a lot.

I would not sleep on Sol-Jay. He could hook up with John Beck and get his passing right. No doubt, he has D1 elite legs. He is humble could grow, Steve Young was not a great passer to start at BYU and he was buried 6th on the QB chart.

True. Will Sol-Jay work with Beck? It is no secret that BYU, like every college program, is looking for a Dual Treat QB. Speed kills!

Lets not kid about the transfers. Slovis is a Ferrari. The rest, so far a patches for replace what we lost, BYU did not get the upgrade we thought with Big 12 admittance. I still hope that with the addition of our Ferrari, we can get transfers, like LJ Martin from Stanford to come.

1 Like
  • If it’s any consolation or a way of dispelling some concern: Kedon Slovis has been working with John Beck for about a year or so. Zach Wilson, John Beck, and Jaren Hall each played a part in Slovis’s decision to come to BYU.

• The reason I wrote that the offense will be the strength of the team next year is that I’d be surprised if it’s either the defense or special teams. That doesn’t mean that I expense any of the three to be top five in the nationl, but I do expect better play from all three than they were able to deliver this year.

• The biggest concern that we should have is not necessarily the skill positions, but the offensive and defensive lines. I spoke with a BYU assistant in late winter of 1984–a couple of months after the 1983 season had ended and eligibility had ended for Steve Young, Gordon Hudson, Casey Tiamalu, and Waymon Hamilton. When I said I was worried about 1984, he said the team would be a lot better. I was dismayed, but he explained that both the offensive and defensive lines would have most of the same players returning and they would be stronger and better. Can we say that about the trenches in 2023 compared to 2022. We definitely can’t on offense and I’m not sure we can on defense.

Stan, probably the best explanation of Linesmen importance I’ve seen written. Your history retention is stellar.

Hill and Sitake are combing the portal for D stoppers, feeling like they have the edge rushers from signees. #1 priority.