Just trying to figure out what changed

Back then basketball players still did two handed chest shots :smile:
I came along in the Arnold time when players did jump shots :smile:
I don’t think Rose is doing that much wrong other than taking too long to get a lineup. And getting more players in the game with meaningful minutes. Chatman, Aytes and others early on. Seljass tends to foul too much and takes himself out of ball games.

Bruce, I believe Rose will have 7 four star players on the team next year. Granted, they will be young, but I’m not sure that the recruiting has gone down. I guess we will have to wait and see if they are better able to come together as a team than this year’s version has.

4 star recruits:
emery
haws
mika
dastrup
childs
baxter
I can’t figure out who the other you’re referring to is.
Even then if it pans out would rival the 80s teams for potential pros on the floor

Connor Harding out of Idaho, listed as a 4 star commit by ESPN.

I spaced him. I thought he was going on a mission first. My impression is the Idaho players stars tend to be a bit deflated so he could easily be better than his star rating.

I knew Andy Toolson when I was a student. He was a big HS star from Idaho who turned out ok for BYU :+1:

I was a student at BYU during the Toolson and Haws (Marty) years with Chatman, Call, Usevitch, etc.

Those were good times…

and I don’t ever recall Utah wanting to cancel a game with BYU… :weary:

I was pretty good friends at BYU with a forward named Steve Schreiner and he was Andy’s roommate, so I got to know Andy. Little did I know that my wife was friends with his wife Holly in a class they had together, but Tracy (my wife) didn’t know Holly’s last name! When Andy was with the Jazz I was a ticket holder for the Blazers (boy those were good days with Clyde the Glyde and Mercy, Mercy, Jeee-rome Kersey). Andy got the security guys to let me come down to the court and talk before warmups started a few times. He left to play in Italy and I lost touch with him over the years but he was not only a fantastic player but also a great guy. I always thought he could lead the country in scoring if he hadn’t been on such a great team AND be so unselfish with the rock. He was a great athlete and could score in every way.

I know… he had a sweet baseline jumper that rarely missed. He could score the ball from a lot of spots on the court but was also good at sharing the rock and not forcing things. Apparently the BYU coach at that time was more concerned about team basketball and didn’t order him to keep shooting. It’s really amazing the level of chemistry that can be achieved and how good a player can get when he thinks team first. It also really helps a player develop a complete game. That is one reason guys like Toolson made it to the next level.

I’ll bet Collinsworth and Fischer could play some at the next level if they were willing to do the same. :blush:

Blahblahblah…:slight_smile:

excellent post! One of your best ever! :smiley:

I believe Saljaas is also a 4 star player

Harold: Stan Watts lived and coached in a different era than Coach Rose. You said it was easier to get into the NCAA in the 60’s and 70’s. How is that? There were plenty of Division I teams in those days. It is just a fact that mainly conference champions pretty much got into the sixteen team NCAA Big Dance. When did Dave Rose get into the NCAA Final Four? That is except for his being a player for the U of Houston on the Psi Slamma’ Jama team. To my knowledge BYU never has gotten into the NCAA Final Four, but BYU has won two NIT’s, in 1951 and 1966 when only eight teams got into the tournament. 16 plus 8 = 24 teams. Today what is it, 68 in the NCAA and just about every other team gets into the NIT if they have a decent winning record. So what is harder, getting into a field of 68 NCAA teams today or into 16 in the 1960’s and 1970’s? Is it harder to get into the 8 team NIT or the dozens and dozens of winning teams today in the NIT? Then there is the Commissioner’s Tournament, I gues that is the basketball equivalent of a 5 and 7 football team going to a bowl game.

I can’t find a list or count of division one teams over the years. My response was based on the fact that I’ve seen the number of division 1 teams balloon since I started paying attention to NCAA ball back in the mid 70s… It is now at 345, while the number of tickets to the dance stopped growing much quite awhile ago. If you can point me to the actual stats I’d be happy to be get the number right.

The 51 NIT Championship was arguably a national championship, that was the first year the NCAA didn’t allow teams to play in both tournaments. by 66 the ncaa was clearly the more prestigious tournament even though it’s popularity, fed by the Wooden UCLA teams, was just burgeoning.
The NIT is essentially a meaningless tournament today. The winner gets to declare that they are the 69th best team in the land. Yes they’re probably closer to 40th or something but essentially no prestige.