Kobe the greatest ever!

Playing for next year, Grasshopper? No, the Lakers and the NBA were playing for THIS YEAR - but only to make as much $$ as possible on the Kobe Tour.

So? What business isn’t into making money except the Government?

The problem here is that “grasshopper” can’t make the connection between what was going on and why it was going on. The fact that the Lakers and NBA were trying to maximize their profits through the “Kobe Tour” is a given because Scott admitted as much below.

The problem results in the fact that he isn’t willing to acknowledge how they go about doing that and how they finished off the farewell tour in the final game. He honestly believes that it was just a random, fantastic game by Kobe and that there was nothing done to facilitate it. In other words, the neurons in grasshopper’s brain are misfiring. He’s a smart guy but there is a disconnect somewhere up there that doesn’t allow his mind to make the connection. I know this because it happens with a lot of the conversations we all have here. The humor ensues when he, in back to back posts, says one thing but then says something totally contradictory immediately after it. He knows and admits the nba, lakers, etc. are into making money but he doesn’t understand how they go about doing it. For all of the classes he took at BYU, I think he missed out on marketing and some others. :unamused:

Grasshopper - You are missing my point. I am saying that the NBA and every other revenue-producing sport is ALL about making money. The NBA is sports entertainment with the 100% goal of making as much money as possible. The Lakers, with the NBA’s directive/blessing, limited Kobe’s minutes all year so they could prolong the Kobe Tour and maximize profits. Or do you think those $27k Staples Center courtside seats and $1k nosebleeds on Wednesday would have sold if Kobe wasn’t playing?

You probably also think there is zero chance of Kobe coming back and playing next year. I’d put that at 10% myself. Imagine the excitement, ticket sales, merchandizing, etc.

Oh please don’t bring back Kobe for another farewell season (2016/17 or longer). :wink:

I’m waiting for your conspiracy specifics. What was facilitated besides his teammates willing to pass the ball to him every time down the court? The only other issue with the game was the fact less fouls were called than other games. But that also included times when Kobe was fouled and not called. So, how did the refs facilitate anything as the number and types of fouls were the same for both teams? Geneous, what else?

See, it’s because of yours and Jim’s brain cells wired for conspiracies that assumes the league was involved with Kobe playing 30 minutes in the 66 games leading up to the final. Or, for some reason, it’s wrong for the league to support a final tour for someone that can put fans in the stands?

As for the final game, if you are correct, there is no way he would have played a back to back prior to the final game in fear of getting hurt. And, that’s a huge hole in your argument. And, for all intent and purpose, no other city cared about the last game except LA. It was big for LA fans. Also, what was “rigged?” I’m still trying to get Jim to answer that but he’s as slipper as Hillary when asked questions :joy:

On the button Craig. I could care less about the gang banger league.
Jeff

Nobody is saying it is wrong. Everyone keeps saying it is a BUSINESS and the goal of a business is to make money. That is the bottom line. They can’t pay Kobe 20 million dollars a year unless they do everything they can to market him, hype him, etc. The league and everyone associated with it (that inlcudes the officials, whom you seem to think are a separate entity with no interest in helping the “Kobe final game tour” be a success) did everything possible to make the final game what it was.

It is a SHOW. I don’t need to say anymore and I won’t go through the whole conspiracy thing that you like to yap about all the time.

I already said the referees were going to let them play. You must have missed that or reading comprehension problems again.

As far as the Lakers paying Kobe that, yes they can and they do regardless of the rest of the league. The Lakers take in big bucks.

I liked the flow of the game when they don’t call every tick tack call. They should do more of this every game.

So good, you are acknowledging what everyone has said without coming right out and saying it. That’s fine, at least you know what we are talking about.

Good for Kobe… I don’t care.

I said everything there is to say. You want it to be something diabolical which it isn’t. The game wasn’t rigged. Everything was out in the open. Utah had as much of a chance to win as did the Lakers. And, they let Kobe be Kobe in the end to take over the game and win. Nothing new about that over the last 20 years. Why does everything have to be diabolical?

diabolical - belonging to or so evil as to recall the Devil.

Seriously? boy, you let your imagination run wild. Nobody is claiming it was “diabolical”.

Exactly, that is what everyone in the building wanted to see and that is what everyone who had the ability to allow it to happen did. I used the word “facilitate” to describe what happened. The officials were “facilitators”, the Jazz players were “facilitators”, Kobe’s teammates were “facilitators”… it is what it is. Facilitating is a form of rigging… you do what you need to do to allow something to happen. That is what everyone did and the fans enjoyed the expensive show they paid to see.

Is that better?

Disagree completely about the Jazz players. And, the refs called the game at the end like they did throughout the game. This is what I mean about diabolical. That 3 Kobe hit was with a man in his face. The others he had to make them with tough defense. The layup he threw up with the man moving could have been a foul on the Jazz. They let it go. There was no set up, rigged and so on diabolical fake plan. :sunglasses:

Why does anybody have to take a class in sports psychology when you claim to know everything GH. All we have to do is look at your posts on this rec league Board. I still vote for Jordan as the best all time. Kobe is a gangster,
like about 85% of the NBA players. I prefer college and high school basketball over the NBA. The NBA with a few exceptions these days is not a team sport. The three team sport NBA teams are the Spurs, the Warriors and OKC. All the rest are single guys shooting around the clock, Kobe included.

"Why does anybody have to take a class in sports psychology when you claim to know everything GH. "

How do you think I know so much? You should try taking classes in this subject too.
Jordan was great in his era. Chamberlain in his era. The fact that Kobe was able to take the mantle from Jordan puts him in the same category. And, he did something the others haven’t except for Bird, play their entire career with one team. That’s loyalty too. Something he learned along the way.

I too like College sports. But, to say it isn’t a business is a blind comment. It’s big time money too. And, there are only a few teams that year in year out that are at the top with 5 star one and done athletes.

GH: I didn’t mention anything about college sports as a business. I look at sports as the toy department either college or pro. Kobe is loyal to the dollar and fame like many pro athletes, i.e. whether it be Kobe, Bryce Harper, Jordan, or any of many of them. Let’s just agree to disagree GH.

I don’t think you have a test that can measure the heart of a man. There are other things to consider than money and fame that drives someone to practice before and after others come and go. To shoot free throws after blowing an Achilles’ tendon to help his team make the playoffs. To do many other things for their teams and fans other than personal glory and money.

I’m taking a break from my sports psychology class with this response to GH:

“zzzzzzzzz”

I’m sure you are receiving anothe “F” :stuck_out_tongue: