Men's Soccer at BYU

Today, most BYU fans don’t even know the university in 1978 started a Division I men’s soccer team. Many think that Title IX was the determining factor in dropping the program. I wish that was true. There is a much larger reason! Is BYU missing the opportunity? Absolutely! For years the Alumni players have tried to bring back the Men’s Soccer Program to a Division One level.
Its been very frustrating to see how this has fallen on the deaf ears of the Athletic Department and the Church Leadership.
We’ve all been told that the Athletics at BYU are an extension of our beliefs and a way to promote the Church. Are we not a World Wide Church? The World Cup has shown us all that no other sport comes close to reaching the entire world.
Please understand. I’m a huge fan of all BYU sports. And if not for Football and Basketball, there would be no Athletics at most Universities.

There is no doubt in my mind that within 3 years, we would be competing for a National Title. Many of our players have passed up scholarships at other schools because they love BYU. We’ve beat UVU a Division one team the past two years in matches.
Even more important, these kids are amazing examples of the gospel. They deserve more!

I’d love to get more feedback from others here.

This topic was automatically closed after 61 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.