More perspective for the Gavel-Man

So I have a new story for you to analyze… it will probably be a deleted topic in the next sixty minutes as I don’t understand how that works anyway.

Two years ago my son was playing varsity basketball as a junior (there were 2 other juniors and a sophomore on the varsity) and he worked his rear off, was playing a good game and was anticipating his senior year (last year). The team had some relative success but he did not enjoy the season. His coach had issues with playing favorites, making rash in explicable decisions regarding playing time, when certain players were on the court, etc. and he alienated many of the players on the team. It got so bad that my son refused to play as a senior. There were other underclassmen coming up who were very talented players on the freshman and JV teams who likewise refused to play on the varsity team last season.

I had been told by several others that this would happen but I chose not to believe it and encouraged my son to play. He would not do it so I eventually accepted it and hoped they would find a new coach for the sake of the program and the other boys who my son had played with over the years.

Fast forward to this season… and the varsity team has one win so far. The season has about 8 games left… they might finish with two wins. The program is in ruins…

Am I being negative? Is my perspective wrong or off base? Sometimes we just need to face reality Scott and admit there is a problem… you need an intervention or something.

No you pretty much describe what High School sports is all about…

Coaches plays favorites no matter if you are in Utah or California… it is a fact of life… I have a friend who son went through a similar issue, a lesser player was a starter because his parents gave more $$ to the program.

The difference between High School and College is that the donors to said programs are much more than in High School…

So if a coach plays favorites and the teams looses, then the booster of said college teams gets up in arms and puts pressure on the AD…

$$$ talks in college sports…

I don’t think anybody is paying the guy money so he will play their kid, I think it is just a case of the guy not knowing what he is doing and making inappropriate decisions and unexpected ones. I had several kids tell me he is a poser… that he is all about show and what others think. Well… I wonder what everyone thinks now. He will take one kid out of a game for not being in a particular place but let another kid throw the ball away numerous times with no consequence. One kid can take numerous shots and not make any while another kid makes a shot and gets pulled. He will berate one kid for nothing and allow another kid to do everything wrong with no comments. It is a pattern… well known and established.

This is where it leads to… and for SG’s sake, his old team beat this team last night 80-37. Since I can remember it has always been the other way around, until recently…