My man, Erickson

While all the talk in the off season falls on Te’ Jon Lucas recruitment and the need to fill a true point guard and leave Barcellos to play his nomal position at shooting guard…BYU’s Hunter Erickson is having a HAY DAY at the very competitive Powder league. Think summer league filled with NBA/College athletes keeping their bball skills tuned. While NBA stars are playing in the Olympics, this is the place to be seen and play.

BYU basketball: Why Hunter Erickson is digging Utah’s Powder League - Deseret News

Erickson is getting play time and lighting it up with numbers like 27 points, 10 rebs and 6 assists in a recent game.
Sports Dada on Instagram: “Go check out our new @powderleague Leaderboard to see the season’s stat leaders! Link in bio! Our Week 4 Day 1 Player of the Night:…”

BYU was well represented by Brandon Averette last year (just signed a Euro pro contract) but it is well documented that I thought he was undersized and tall teams would take advantage of him. Both Ericson and Lucas stand 6’3" and both are prolific scorers. Erickson is far and away a better outside shooter from 3 and I think that alone will get him minutes over Lucas when we really need a basket.

Do I think BYU is improved over last year…Yes and no. Haarms was a 7’3 defensive nightmare and we also lost Kolby Lee to Dixie. Will Baxter, George, and Caleb Lohner fill in? I say, “Easy Peasy”. Remember Lohner was just lost the first 20 games or so but raw talent and rebounding kept him in the rotation. Lohner will be a star this year, much like Childs transition from year one to year two.

We also have no idea how the new talent fits in, Traore and Atiki are some big dudes and a upgrade over our past big men not named Haarms.

Our guard play will be much better. Our forwards will be elite and Centers, sight drop off spells a better BYU team this season over the #6 seated last year’s team.

Haarms would have helped this year with the upgrades at the forward and guards. But, the new bigs may just be a surprise.

Seneca Knight signed with BYU basketball program? Is it official?

Yes
Seneca Knight Explains Why He Is Transferring To BYU Basketball (kslsports.com)
Since he has transferred twice, he needs a waiver to play this year. Seneca is a good defender/rebounder who’s only weakness is his 3 point shooting. Very athletic dude.

All of this recent activity points to Popes’ ability to attract talent anywhere. Winning seems to trump the honor code.
Seneca Knight Explains Why He Is Transferring To BYU Basketball (kslsports.com)

He will come in as a Jr. with 2 years to play. In no way is he some elite, one and done. The only other teams that offered were smaller D1 schools and he did not get off the bench at LSU but he is an amazing athlete with tons of upside having only played bball for 6 years. He certainly could come in and spell guards some minutes.

Not this big man I was looking for but still a intriguing addition to pope’s team

29% three-pointers? Hopefully he does better than that next two years.