No comments on the Pacific game?

Hawks, I will say this in all seriousness: I don’t think I have EVER–and I mean EVER–see a D1 player throw up such bricks in the paint as EVERY ONE of Worthington’s shots tonight. Unbelievable. Meanwhile, Baxter comes in late and makes a couple nice turnarounds at the rim. Why, because he ELEVATES. So what if he is raw. This is a lost season but Rose just has to play his favorites and screw the other guys. No wonder so many good players have left in recent years.

Like I said, very sluggish after the first 10-15 minutes on both offense and defense. But, this is how they have played their road games this year. I thought maybe they were over this after the Pacific game. I thought maybe Luke was now playing within his game.

Come on, you play to win every year. The league has just started and until tonight, Baxter looked like Luke did tonight. Even worse. After tonight, hopefully Baxter will play under control like that and get more playing time.
As far as Luke, the last 2 games he played under control and made those shots. I just think tonight we looked slow and confused on offense. Defense, I have no idea what we were doing. Teams are simply opening up the floor and driving because they can make all their layups. And, they shot their 3’s well for a streak that opened up the lead.

aw-yup

I could of scripted this one out on paper before anyone rolled into SMC.

Not only 7 total assists and 10 steals for SMC but…Lets count the STARTERS with 0 POINTS.
Cannon…Worthlington……Hardnett……Seljaas (past)

The beatdowns only get worse from here. San Fran is not going to lose to BYU either. I talked about this in some other thread. Rose fooling around with rotations going into the meat of the season is death. Rose does not develop inside talent (check), recruits slow Mr. Basketballs types who can’t or refuse to stay in front of their guy (check), Or worse, Mr Basketballs don’t defend the 3 (check). SMC shots 43% from 3land.

Rose will not make any post season and Cougarnation will be calling for not only his but the AD’s head as well and he will have to retire (check)

Worthington had a stretch of 3 games where he played under control, taking easy shots that came to him. Last night he was trying to be a star. Child played out of control the first half, but turned it around the 2nd half. BYU probably isn’t going anywhere and Luke is gone after this year. Time to bring in Baxter and get him geared for next year, which will be Haws and Emery’s last year. Harding has the potential to be solid, but after that it looks bleak. Somebody better be hitting the foreign recruits and the JC market or it’s really going to be ugly in a couple of years. If Rose is too tired to recruit outside the area it’s time to bring in Pope

Luke played 20 minutes last night ZERO points “0-4 shooting”, 2 offense reb, 2 assist and 2 fouls. Productive game??? I am glad this is his last year at the Y. Agreed Baxter need to play more but I am not Dave Rose and next two years not so promising.

Hardnett didn’t start again. Why Cannon for Hardnett?

I guess that’s my point: Baxter is long, lean, and JUMPS. He can throw down in traffic. He can swat with his elbow on the rim. Worthington is a big, slow, earthbound guy who tries hard and is a very nice kid. He is 6’10" and can’t even dunk if he’s being defended. He is what he is and no D1 teams win with big, slow guys who can’t score and who play below the rim. Worthington lacks he POTENTIAL to be anything other than what he is, whereas Baxter has the POTENTIAL to be a menace in the paint. I say play the guy with potential, but that’s not the Dave Rose Way. I still can’t believe he wouldn’t play PD over Worthington, and now Baxter. Dastrup could handle the ball, was a better three point shooter than Haws, and played above the rim. I wasn’t even necessarily a big fan of his, but his POTENTIAL was OBVIOUS, and it’s OBVIOUS that our bigs have gone into the toilet since Pope left and Rose regained control over that part of the team.

My take: Hardnett said something to Rose complaining about how bad the team stinks, maybe even pointing out some of the selfish offense and putrid defense we are all watching, and Rose took it out on him in public instead of dealing with it in private. We all know that Coaching Psychology 101 is to deal with frustrations in positive ways that motivate kids to perform better on the field or court–on the flip side, embarrass them in public and they will turn on you. My motto is “praise loudly in public, and criticize quietly in private.” I don’t care whether it’s 8th grade football or college hoops: embarrass your guys in public and they will turn on you. Well done, Coach Rose. And that’s me being sarcastic and cynical.

1 Like

Do you know for sure??? Or is it just your gut thinking?

He has one average game where he doesn’t contribute all that much. He didn’t play stupid for a change was the only difference… and you think he was “now playing within his game”?

These are the types of statements that destroy any credibility you can muster.

You are the Luke Worthington of this board. Every once in a while you make a comment that is somewhat logical or "worth"while but for the most part you flail around, commit dumb fouls, throw up wild shots and can’t play defense or stop anyone from doing whatever they want,

Yes, grasshopper is officially the Luke Worthington of this board.

Rose’s disdain for PD last season was obvious. No coach could be that blatantly dumb about benching a player that productive for no apparent reason. Nobody can explain why Rose continues to go with Worthington, who isn’t really helping this team at all. When Luke tries to post up and Haws/others are looking for him, then we know something isn’t right.

We have been talking about these same issues for a few seasons now. Why don’t you get it yet? You continue making comments about opponents shooting the lights out, BYU missing layups and free throws, etc. and you never really understand the big picture problems. It is a mental block you have or something.

Why was Hardnett on the bench most of the game while BYU was getting destroyed by a very average St. Mary’s team?

I started on this board 4 years ago and I have been growing in my frustration of BYU bb over the last 6 years. When the season is lost, as this one is, the coach has to let the role players develop for the next year … for the health of the program and those players. Rose NEVER does this. It is a sign that he isn’t a very smart coach. Not that we need anymore signs that he doesn’t know what he is doing. There is no reasoning that he can use that justifies his behavior as head coach. I know he is a pretty nice guy but I also know that he is head strong and doesn’t like being told what to do. Folks, we have a huge problem … we can spend all day talking about the issues that each player exhibites on the floor and the almost brainless decisions that are made on this team, but everything comes back to a lack of recruiting, lack of proper player development, lack of proper talent evaluation, lack of organization within the program, lack of institutional control, lack of defensive coaching, lack of performance as a coach without a strong assistant (Rice, Heath, and Pope) to do his work for him … I could go on but everyone except for Hopper gets what I am saying.

We can waste our breath on trying to explain how things should work, why certain players are even on the team, why others don’t get to play more etc … but ROSE is the whole problem. He can’t do the job any longer. This bb program should be way way better than it is. I am going to stop my automatic donations to the athletic dept and tell them I won’t be donating again until We have a new men’s bb coach.

#Rosemustgo!

1 Like

Here is how Rose works. He plays in the moment and always with veteran players first. So he has reverted back to Worthington.

If you look at the first of the season, Rose had benched Worthington and with our best success, Worthington only came in as a sub and for only 6 minutes.

Rose will not go back to baxter until we have lost so many games that he knows the season is lost and we have to look to next year, and even then when its obvious, Rose will still manage to play Worthington. Ugg.

I can’t help that you are clueless about many things pertaining to coaching. But, Luke had two consecutive well-played games. He’s not there to score more than 10-12 points a game with a 60% or higher shooting percentage. He’s there to clog up the lane and score when open. Against SMU he forced shots up.
If Baxter will play like he did Saturday then I’d start him in front of Luke. By the way, when you resort to name calling, it makes you look week and less knowledgeable:-)

It is not Dave Rose way and same it is not Hopper Way too.

Totally agreed since Coach Pope left the program. And now no defense now that Heath Schroyer no longer around.

It was no obvious reason to you. But, for a trained eye like me it was obvious. First year back he did nothing to get back into shape. Second year, he was a goofball on the bench. He too looked much like Baxter does today. I hope Dastrup has grown up because he does have talent. But, OS coach won’t play him either if he hasn’t changed.
I agree about Hardnett. I don’t know why Cannon is starting. At least start Emery in front of Cannon. Someone who can make layups and free throws.
Your big picture is really a small tiny 6” screen :hugs:

I’m not seeing Few or Bennett starting role players. Why should Rose?

It would be irresponsible to say I know “for sure,” because I didn’t actually witness it myself. But I’ll just say I’m confident about what sparked it. If Jashire did something pretty reprehensible, I’d have sat him the entire game and told the media he violated team rules. But to me, just an average viewer, it looked like a petulant move by the coach to bench a key player mid game like that. It seems players on this team don’t sit for what they do ON the court, so it was weird to see that happen.

Ummmmm, Hopper, here’s why: Few and Bennett are coaching teams that will finish in the top 2 or 3 teams in the WCC regular season. Maybe 1 and 2!! Gonzaga does play role players with surprising regularity. Bennett is a good enough coach to rebuild his program … almost completely … from last year and still demolish a Rose team with experience. The role players of yesterday at GU and StM are the starters of today. Both coaches can detect talent and keep transfers from leaving their programs if the player is good enough to start at some point in their career. They have plans and execute them and the players buy into those plans.