Not ready to play

Actually Hopper, we have had this happen to us many times when we had plenty of days to review video. Sitake is a really good guy. Wonderful recruiter. He is also way better at running the defense than his buddy. But Sitake called the defense yesterday and frankly he has never been known as a football brain kind of guy. We simply don’t have the hardware up top in our organization to run a great defense. Bronco is a great DC! Broncos issues were recruiting, talent evaluation and offensive decisions. We could use Bronco as the DC, Grimes as the OC and Sitake as the head coach - recruiter. We can’t have Bronco so we have to find a legit DC or we can’t progress as a program.

Whoever “they” are? Usually I agree with you on things. TH has done a marvelous job as AD with all sports. That includes football this year. Especially this year.

As far as the DC, you would have to ask coach if your assessment matches his. I believe Sitaki was just as involved in the decision on the field as his cousin. Why we didn’t change schemes I don’t know either.

The “they” is as clear as the nose on your face, assuming you have a nose. If Sitake was also calling the defensive plays then we need to overhaul the entire defense and get new DC and HC. If Sitake was really involved in the D play calling? Then we got problems deeper than the DC.

Oh, okay. It’s why we beat Boise down on their own smurf turf and 9 other games this year. We are all looking for why we aren’t 10-0. But 9-1 isn’t going to get anyone fired. Up until this game BYU was one of the best teams on defense in all of college football. Especially against the run. Perhaps it’s better to think of why we played the kind of defense we did. Why we didn’t plug the holes and why we didn’t change to 5 man line like we did on that goal line stance.

Very well stated Hawk.

Yeah, Thawk was on the money.

BYU was not a top 10 defense before we played CC. You kidding?? They can’t play a terrible schedule with only a couple of mediocre teams and you correctly proclaim that BYU was one of the best in the country. They weren’t and the better the team we play the worse the BYU defense will look!

We beat Boise and our defense did well. Boise was ranked in the top 20. Houston and others had good offense. We did well on defense. Better than during the glory years of Lavell Edwards. No?
I maintain that with an entire week to prepare, we win with 17 points. This is what Coach Sitaki looks at as well. For this “one” game, our heads and hearts are getting scratched because the defense scheme didn’t change to stop the run game of CCU.

I maintain that with 8 days to prepare BYU would have won by 18 points. And on and on and on and on and . . . If they woulda then . . . or if they coulda then . . and surely they shoulda done this or that or something else.

Just get over it, the Cougars lost that one game. They also lost a lot of respect from a lot of people who control college football.

Not sure why anyone else is even posting or sharing an opinion… with a resume like that we should be paying to visit this site and read what you post. I completely agree with what you are saying but none of that changes my observation of not being very impressed with CC. I was impressed with their game plan and their coaching staff that implemented it. I’m guessing that their coaches were shaking their heads with a smile (after the game) trying to figure out why BYU’s staff never changed anything and made it so easy for them.

You are very knowledgeable and your resume proves it. I hope you will be more patient with the rest of us football idiots who have no idea what we are talking about most of the time.

Like I said, I am not really sold on CC and how good they are. A 10-0 record is nice, but BYU was 9-0 and obviously not as good as many people thought. Maybe CC will look better in their next two games and bowl game. For me they didn’t pass the eye test, so the jury is still out. I know thawk will scoff at my opinion here, but I’m not going to lie about what I saw. I will say that perhaps my perspective was more jaded after watching the crap with Wilson just before halftime, but once I got over it I still wasn’t impressed.

Lastly, what we saw in this game and what we have come to expect over many, many seasons of watching and rooting for BYU football is exactly what makes me share OPINIONS that don’t sit well with some people… as in BYU will NEVER get an invite to the CFP. I know why Notre Dame joined the ACC… it is their “opportunity ticket” to the CFP this season.

I am 100% on board with what you said. Detmer is my guy, I’ve hunted with him. We named our champion pure breed Lab after him, funny story at that. I am just not inside the goings on at BYU to know why they hold on to Tuiaki. Tom Larimer might have some info on that. He does have connections.

I would also say that $$ speaks volumes and BYU can’t be paying the going rate for top coaches. It’s tithing money. Just can’t wrap my head around our lack of creativity or guts to change things on D. It’s like boiling frogs. One more yard and BYU would be the heroes even with a piss poor D plan.

I find myself agreeing with everyone’s assessment of the game with exception to Arthropoda and his eternal rambling about the offense. Someone explain Time of Possession CC-37:51 vs. BYU-22:09. We did not use Rex for Squat this game. This was one that clearly got away. I give major props to CC and their coaching staff for the win. Fire Tuiaki

CC would beat BSU by 20 points.

The last statement isn’t true. AP has them at #14 and have given BYU props for taking the game. Playing a top 20 team traveling 2200 miles too. If we had 3 weeks to prepare against that CC offense like we did with Navy we would win.

We should remember that we are 9-1. If we win next we will be 10-1. That’s only happen like five times to BYU.

This game end reminds me of the 1979 game with Indiana. In the words of Maxwell Smart, “Missed it by that much!”

I agree. Trevor Matich’s take was really good on why Wilson didn’t check down and ding Algiers wide open. Our OL wasn’t giving Wilson as much time in the pocket as usual and his clock in his head was rushed and off. He had good protection on that last play but didn’t check Algiers. Just a thought.

He also agrees that 22 points should have been enough for BYU to win.

I had reservations about this game at the beginning. I stated a few.

1. Short time period to prepare
  2. Weather and how the humidity could be a factor
  3. Travel or Jet lag affect.

I never mentioned one because I thought I may be wrong, but I have never ever had faith in our Defensive coaches especially the DC ( Tuiaki).
I thought the defense had turned the page from being inept, but apparently I was wrong.

Someone (I think Thawk or Fish) mentioned the Kalani was making the calls, so I am not sure who to blame for the bad defensive effort.

Having said that, I know Lavell mentioned more than once that when you play an option team, you have too be assignment sound in order to beat it. BYU did not do that Saturday.

Tom,
While I agree with your comments especially the “Blind spot” Kalani has for his childhood friend Tuiaki.

I will say that Lavell in the past said everyone needs to be assignment sound in order to beat a good option team. The problem with BYU was that neither were they assignment sound, but the defensive scheme sucked and that led to the lost.

Kalani has to put his big boy pants on and clean house on defenses coaching staff.

I though the offense was good, maybe not great, but they had a chance to win it in the end, so you really can not blame the offense on this loss.

Oh, we were assignment sound. We did exactly what the coach asked for. What we didn’t do is adjust.

And this idea that now you come out with reasons for losing after myself and others brought up those issues. What a guy :slight_smile:

Giving up nearly 300 yards rushing explains time of possession and it’s the cousin thing more than anything. BYU plays a really conservative defense and this hurt them against CC. I have to believe it will stay the same as people have been ranting for 3 years about Tuiaki and he is still there. Grimes brought intuitive offense, now we need an intuitive DC, but probably won’t happen

1 Like

Time of possession is overrated. We had 11 possessions just as did CC. What did we do with those possessions? Nothing. 3 points in the second half. That offense of Grimes stunk in this game. We moved the ball. But got very little when it counted. Bad play calls.

Normally giving up 22 points is a good thing when we averaged 45 points a game. Not for the haters of nepotism. Not the reason we lost.

There are a number of reasons why BYU lost. Unfortunately you always focus in on one thing, usually commenting about something obvious like “CC outscored BYU” as the reason they lost. We are all supposed to be impressed with this analysis… that BYU was outscored as the reason.

None of us need your in depth analysis, we have thawk for that. Anything else posted is just an uneducated comment by fans who know nothing about football.