Nuimatalolo out of the running

JimHawks,
Are you independently wealthy? Are you retired? If not, what kind of work do you do?

If you make $52,000 per year, and someone offered you $120,000. to join a different company,doing exactly the same kind of work, are you saying that money would have nothing to do with your decision?

Would you stay at the company for the love of the company or would you take the higher paying job at a different company doing exactly the same work, because you love your wife and children and want to provide a better life for them?

OK…thanks for correcting me. I should have know he was paid by non-appropriated funds.

He’s hasn’t lived in his own house since he came back to the academy after his time at UNLV. They didn’t appreciate it exactly when he didn’t move into the big house they own for the OC when he was promoted and became the youngest division 1 OC when Weatherby took over. But they lived with it. When he came back the timing and the contract just made sense to accept the house which the entire team could meet in.
My impression is that the vehicles provided are some type of tax/advertising write-off for one of the luxury car dealerships in town. Anyway when they were buying their own vehicles they were very different than the ones provided his family as either OC or head coach. They live close enough to the academy that some of the fitness geeks in the neighborhood ride their bikes into town, right past the academy gate, instead of using gas.

Seems like he’s at least interested in hearing what BYU has to say. I wouldn’t count him out just yet.

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865643492/Report-Navys-Niumatalolo-set-to-meet-with-BYU-officials-Monday.html

I was going to posted that too, but you beat me to it Scott. :blush:

I don’t have any issue with people getting paid what they can get it. We should all be so blessed to be paid millions of dollars for work that is entertainment. Then we should use that pay to do good and provide well for our families in a way that can be positive for generations of our posterity. The fact that the public is willing to pay athletes, entertainers, coaches, producers, directors etc., millions of dollars, says more about the public than the ones who are getting paid. It indicates the public will pay big to entertain themselves and that speaks to our skewed values as a society. Why is Bronco Mendenhall worth more than a good plumber? He is worth more because the public will pay more to be entertained, however, if raw sewage is backed up into your home and you are knee deep in crap then I would say a plumber is worth more than a football coach in the grand scheme of things. If Bronco makes a bad coaching decision and his team loses it has very little effect on a person other than psychologically because of their own issues with falsely identifying their own sense of worth with the success, or failure, of a team they root for. If their toilet backs up and spills all over their house it can potentially have a very ill effect on a person’s health and that of his family. Maybe a plumber should be paid 2.5 million a year and a football coach 80-100K a year. In a perfect world maybe that’s how it would be.

I think the Church has issues with paying market value for services when it questions whether those services have eternal value equal to what the market will pay due to the skewed values of the general public.

The other telling news from yesterday is that Lance Anderson was offered the DC position at Michigan, but has put his answer on hold. He is waiting to hear about the BYU Head Coach position. I think that a lot of people want BYU to at least interview Nuimatalolo, but it will be difficult for BYU to match the total compensation package that Navy is giving him.

I believe that changing jobs is one of the time when it is acceptable for a person to be selfish. The new job has to make financial sense just as much as it makes personal and career sense. It’s much easier to get a company to pay you more money at first, than it is to beg for a raise after you start.

Perfect… the fact that you and Ron (and sorry Russ, I have to add you as well) replied negatively to my post and thoughts goes a long way to lending credibility to what I wrote. Likewise, the fact that Reed (aro) was able to understand past the end of his own nose also lends credibility to my post.

Do I bother responding further? Part of me wants to, but the other part of me KNOWS that regardless what I say, you won’t get it or you will refuse to try because you aren’t capable. I will say that there are a lot of reasons why our own society, particularly within the church, is nowhere close to the city of Enoch and I alluded to some of the reasons for it. Seriously, what is it that we, as members of the church, are striving for?

I don’t need to say anything more.

Really? Why do I get added?

Ben,
That is a bit misleading… The compensation package which you claim the coach is under is for those who have “ENLISTED” in the Military (in this case the Navy)… It does not apply to the civilian workers. The reason why the 20 years is because of the person being in “harms way” and the fact that they relocate you at anytime to any place. The Police officers in your own town have the same 20 yr retirement practice.

People like Coach Ken are considered “Civilian Employees” and are entitled to the same Federal Retirement requirements (30 yrs. of service, not 20 yrs.) as federal workers. Now that won’t placate Jim’s anti-Government worker stance, but at least for the rest of the people it will be more clear.

Speaking as one who was “raised” poor Jim (my father was a bar tender in SLC, did not make much money)… Your comment about the poor is just a tad off base…

There is a thing called the “cycle of Poverty” which basically state that people who were raised in a “poor” financial environment tend follow what they were taught about being poor (usually it based on not having luck, the rich is getting us down, the government owes us, etc.). It is not until they change their thought processes that the poor can actually break the cycle… This is a PROVEN FACT…

Now in California, I will admit that YOUR STATE WORKERS are over compensated for their service, but I believe most state workers in other states tend to get paid way less than their counter parts in the private sector which is regain some what by the retirement package and do it because they feel they are helping the very poor that you are whining about.

I laugh at you sometimes Jim, because you are bemoaning the fate of the “poor” when you have no real idea what being “poor” means…

Being POOR is a state of mind, not a position in life… Most poor people could get out of poverty if they simply changed the way they think and the decisions that they make… That is also a proven fact.

As for Coach Ken… do you know what he does with the money he makes at Navy? You should take the time to find out before disparaging his integrity…

This topic began as “Nuimatololo out of the running.” So much for that, huh? This is an example of why we have to be patient when we “hear stuff from sources.”

I probably misunderstood what you meant by Scott “beating you to it” and apologize for adding you to the SG group.

That must have been stressful, if only for a moment. :wink:

All your A-S-S-U-M-PTIONS do is… welll… you know.

Your reply post to me had nothing to do with my opinions of “the poor” and everything to do with your opinions about government workers compared to the private sector. How are you any different than the cycle of poverty people… with your take on the cycle of government worker people?

Come on Floyd…

I am an observer of what I see around me and I comment on it. I also had an acquaintance tell me something the other day when I told him about a work client who was being forced to pay a $4000 fine for turning in a report late. He didn’t violate any clean water laws, runs a good business and follows the rules and regulations imposed on him by numerous government agencies. So why the fine?

Anyhow, the acquaintance, who lives in Utah, told me “as California goes, so goes the nation”. So as you continue to receive your “cost of living” increases every year and your cushy health insurance coverage and retirement benefits that include guaranteed pensions, early retirement and double dipping, don’t forget to look around you and see how all of those private sector millionaires (your concept is inaccurate but perpetuated by your contemporaries) are doing. It is then and only then that you will realize your ideas or what you thought to be true, probably wasn’t.

No personal offense here, I still like you… but maybe you could tell all of those college graduates out there how they are going to be able to pay off their 6 figure college loan debts working as a barista at starbucks. That is where the cycle of poverty begins in today’s U.S.A…

Ken Niumatalolo is not a federal employee. Period. He is an employee of a private entity. The entity is named the Naval Academy Athletic Association.

He is not a civilian employee of the Navy, of the DoD or any other federal entity.

Let’s agree to disagree on this one. I once had this discussion with my colleagues when I was in the Air Force in regards to Fisher DeBerry. (You guys probably remember him.) This was our conclusion. The only difference between Coach Ken and any military officer is the pool of money his paycheck comes from. He represents the Navy just as much as any Naval Seaman, Petty Officer, Warrant Officer or Commissioned Officer.

Coach Ken’s money comes from Ticket Sales, TV Games, Donations from Alumni, Sales from Exchanges, etc. But it is still DoD money under the same public trust of taxpayer money.

LOL…

COLA’s??? Last one was three years ago…
Raises? Last one was 7 years ago…
Benefits? Health and Retirement benefits have been reduced several times over the past 5 years…

So your friend says “as California Goes, so goes the nation”, He is full of CRAP… California is the poster child for HOW NOT to run a state. Why do you think Liberal minded people in Ohio, Wisconsin, and other states are now electing GOP governors and legislature? Look at what Walker and Kasich did in their respective IN DEBT states… So your friend is NOT CORRECT Jim…

But why let facts get in your way, Right Jim?

As for your friend being fined… that is a direct correlation to the fact that Liberals run your state… has NOTHING to do with State workers and their benefits… If you want a better business environment Jim move to Utah, Arizona, Idaho or some States where they have “right to work” laws… A lot less requirements, a lot more freedom.

As for all those college Students… hmm… could that be a lack of understanding DEBT? Again… Why would anyone in their right mind A) choose a Degree with out researching the job availability and B) go into to debt to go to college?

I would offer them one piece of advice… Check out Dave Ramsey… He can get them out of debt in no time at all…

I assumed he was a civilian employee because he worked for the department of the Navy… thanks for the clarification.

I should mention Jim… as well…

In Democratic control states they tend to OVER compensate their employees.

In GOP controlled state they vastly UNDER compensate their employees…

Utah Legislature has defunded or modified just about every benefit the State workers get… We have not received a salary increase for seven years, Cola’s 3 and the cost of our health care is more for us and with less benefits… My son now has better insurance working for his company than I do.

I’ve worked at both USAFA and USNA. Air Force Academy Athletics and Naval Academy Athletics have been handled very differently in the past.

The Naval Academy Athletic Association, founded in 1891 by Robert Means Thompson, is a 501C3 non-profit organization whose objective is to “promote, influence, and assist in financing the athletic contests of the midshipmen of the United States Naval Academy” in accordance with the policy of the Superintendent of the Academy.

The Naval Academy Athletic Association is not a government agency or instrumentality and is not part of the United States Naval Academy or the United States government.
http://www.navysports.com/ot/what-is-naaa.html

And looking up athletics at USAFA, it appears that in 2014 the Air Academy Athletic Association too became a 501C3 and are having some interesting issues to deal with in their transformation.