Objectivity and Fairness

First of all Jim, I responded to Hopper question about how the officials are taught to call the rules. Everything I posted is “FACTUAL” because I went through the process, have many friends who are D1 officials go through this process of learning the rules, how to apply the rules and what mechanics to use for calling the game.

My post had NOTHING TO DO with your post, only responded to Hopper because he asked me a question.

Second, I DO UNDERSTAND your biased point, I simply do not agree with your viewpoint. I have made that abundantly clear. See that is the beauty of our country or even the gospel, we do not have to all believe the same way.

My view comes from 25+ years of officiating, going through the process year after year. Meeting with other officials from across the western US who like me, officiate sports. I still get the officials magazine with the latest news about officiating. Sorry that is not good enough for you.

I second you.

Glad to have another intelligent fan confirm a bias I noticed in the refs! I am not as skeptical as you, I think we still have a shot at NCAA tournament, but NIT run would be fine if we keep playing to our potential and that would and should be to final four!
I am optimistic about our ability to overcome the odds and opposition. We are rag-tag crew of 9 ‘boys in the boat’ and we seem to be rowing together. We have a coach and coaching philosophy (dissimilar to our football team) that elicits the best from players and a unity and collective mentality. Please Mark Pope stay and Tom Pay oh Pay him. Like BYU under Edwards we can attract against all the BS NIL moneys that are ruining college sports. Winning against all odds and living by truly building principals is more power than glittery gold. Behold Miracles like Trey Stewart already while a student on the way to a designing career and believing in himself!

1 Like

BYU is greatly improved over last year. Last year Pope rebuilt with younger players and now it is paying off. I am a bit concerned about today’s game. On paper it looks like a win but WVU just got a 6’11” guy back named Edwards who is reportedly a game changer for them. BYU should win out at home but you never know. If they have another Cincinnati game they could lose another one at home. Ok St is a road game they should win but all road games in this conference are dicey.

BYU Cougars Nitty Gritty at Bracketologists says much better than just a shot.

and to get a feel for the crowd, meaning the crowd who consider themselves in the know enough to publish their thoughts regularly, The Bracket Project’s Bracket Matrix - 2024.

obviously there is a lot of bball to play…but Pope has his boys on the right track it seems.

wish it were at home…and wish the prognastictors didn’t keep narrowing the margin of victory they expect for the Cougars in the Appalachian hills. No. 22 BYU makes trek to West Virginia for first time since 1947 - BYU Athletics - Official Athletics Website - BYU Cougars

If they lose, and winning on the road at West Virginia is not something that Kansas managed to do there, then it will be the teams first quad 3 or 4 loss. And given the strength of the B12 and how badly WVU was earlier in the year, the Mountaineers may remain the worst loss of the team going into the B12 tournament…
If BYU has a must win this season…this is it…

No question it is a big game because it is a road game BYU is favored to win.

You remind me of a wise, but much younger companion’s saying, he shared from his father. “it is amazing what people can come to when they think long and hard enough about something!” In a multiple choice test, there first choice is generally the best. We do many and most things by intuition. The football coaching is lousy because they rely too much on analytics. It’s the man in the arena that counts, who is covered with blood and sweat, who errs again and again…etc as Roosevelt said. My brother used to say when we argued half the night, I was a hippy and he was right wing hawk as far as I was concerned [back then], “AT LEAST AMERICA DID SOMETHING.” I came back to the church and played my sport for BYU and took the shots in the face that broke off two teeth and the shots on goal that scored or were stopped. I tried and he said before he died he loved watching me play. It is a great memory that I cherish of him and my days in the game. I will continued to believe in my team, our coach Pope and our ability to win.

3 Likes

:flushed:??? Okay…

I get what you are saying but I would also say, sit back and enjoy this gutsy BYU team, they are soooo over performing from what we all had them at the beginning of the season.
Houston is #2 in the net. They are a #1 seed, I think only Purdue is ahead of them at this time. For us to talk about BYU in the same sentence speaks to depth of BYU this year. That we are not getting blown offf the floor in this incredibly deep conference is really quit surprising to me. I was looking at the stats last night, BYU sits #4 in the Big 12,

We go into OK undermanned without Khalifa, so no predictions. but any win on the road in this league is tough. Look at Kansas, with 3 first rounders on the team losing to UCF, W Vir and ISU on the road says it all.

I think that is the entire point. BYU has no drivers not that Dawson Baker is out for the year. Watch out when BYU has a middle with a healthy Foos and Khalifa. I sure would not want to play BYU in this league. We are favored in 6 of the next 8 Big 12 games. 2 get 5 or even 4 puts BYU in the top half of the Big 12, a league that has 10 teams going to the dance.

If you look at Baylor’s stats, they had 6 players hitting over 40% from 3land and yet they only took 23 for the game. Why? They know the Cinncy recipe for beating BYU. Bully ball.

Loved the story,
To get back up after a knockdown is the American way. It’s a Toby Keith song. Sad to see Keith pass away, he did so much for our nation and especially our troops. Remembering Toby Keith: 3 ways the country music star influenced Texas (statesman.com)

I raise my red solo cup to a true american.

I think they have done better than I thought they would after the first couple of games mostly because the officiating has gotten better. It’s all about objectivity and fairness. If BYU is playing well and they get those two things they can and likely will win several more games. That is why the officiating is so important. It gives both teams an opportunity to win a game without having to overcome something more than the team they are playing. BYU is in the bottom half of the league right now but they have some good wins at home and on the road. With decent officiating vs. Cincinatti and Baylor those would have been wins as well. Until I see it differently I am sticking with my assertion about the importance of fair and objective officiating.

I don’t think you quite understand our point. Fair and objective doesn’t mean there will be equal number of fouls. Yet, that’s what you always point to as proof. Of late, we have been driving to the basket more and shooting less 3 point shots. So, we get more fouls on the other team. The brand of offense and players creates games where we simply don’t put defenses in the position of fouling.

You NEVER understand what I write. So who is the one that doesn’t get it? I have NEVER said that fair and objective means an equal number of fouls called. I will point out times during the game when the disparity is significant, as it has been in the past when BYU starts out a half with 7 or 8 fouls called against them and 1 or 2 against their opponent. I do this when that disparity, based on what is happening in the game, should not be that great, when the opponent is fouling just as frequently as BYU is. That is the part you don’t understand. It is beyond your ability to comprehend.

Also, we are still going through the same routine where I agree with you when you make a good point, yet you never agree with ANYTHING I post. That is the crux of the issue at its core.

But that’s where we disagree with you. Again, you are counting the number of fouls and not why there’s a disparity. The disparity happens when more finesse is being played by one team than the other. We float away from contact while other teams drive into their defender. And, we reach and hack more than other teams. The last couple of games was different for most of the games. The last two teams played were more finesse teams as well. I don’t know how you expect fouls to be called on us when it’s mostly Fouss making defenders contact him and no one else. Our players try to avoid contact while dribbling and shooting.

I posted the 3-point Shots per game that BYU vs the opponents takes.

Do you think that if BYU is shooting more from the outside, that there would be less fouls called on the opponents?

Fish also pointed out that Pope has changed the way that his plays are and going inside more. Which is now causing more parity in the fouls being called.

I don’t know two people who misunderstand more than you guys do.

I am done trying to explain to you guys. It is apparent that you can only relate to what you already think you know and just aren’t open to trying to understand anything different.

Time to end this discussion.

You proved your own point. I defended you and Floyd backed off. But you were unable to comprehend this. Happens as we get older. Well, at least you anyway.

You posted this…

and then this? How does that even make sense?

You’re conflating two separate topics. One in the basketball thread and the other in the football thread. Use the K.I.S.S. Principle and it will help :thinking:

Then you might want to include Fish, because he said the same thing as me. That BYU at the beginning of the season liked to shoot from downtown, which usually does not create fouls.

Pope changed his strategy and moved inside/out, and BYU is getting more calls.

I can see other views as long as it is based on logic and facts, not perceived injustice.