Officials are getting excited!

This is because you guys are content with mediocrity. It is one of the main reasons BYU never gets to the next level… too many fans and others associated with the program are content with third place in the wcc, 20 win seasons and ncaa first round exits or NIT bids.

I’m not okay with mediocrity. They can and should do better than that.

We don’t get to the next level because fans accept mediocrity? Wow! How does that work? I thought the players still attending BYU play the game :slight_smile:
I don’t think anyone accepts mediocrity. We simply see the players this year are not ready to play at their highest potential for different reasons:

1. Maturity
  2. Missionary rust
  3. Physically weak and needs to hit the weight room - Haws
  4. Confidence

Completely Laugh Out Loud funny.

because the posters on cougarfan board are content with mediocrity the team can’t get to the next level…
Do you think yelling at the TV makes a difference too?

Yes, the majority of fans accept the fact that BYU wins 20+ games a season, finishes third in the wcc (that should make you laugh out loud) and goes to the NIT or loses in the first round of the ncaa.

They point to Rose’ overall record and compare it to other BYU coaches. They justify losses to teams like UVU as good because it wakes the team up. Everyone is predicting the way the rest of the season will go and they are probably close to knowing exactly what will happen. Everyone will say what they do every year. BYU had a good team and a good season… but the truth is it will end up like every other season has in the past 5 or 6 years and fans will be okay with it.

Tell me how that isn’t being content with mediocrity.

Apparently so. Just like our prayers for the Lord to help His university :innocent:

I think you missed our point to your comment. You made it sound like we have an affect on how the players play the game by accepting mediocrity. Like they miss shots because of us arm chair coaches or players :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eleven games into the season and most of us have had to revise our expectations for this group. I don’t know if you point to coaching or talent or immaturity or all of the above. The BYU program is obviously not on par with that of Gonzaga. At Gonzaga, having a winning tradition has certainly helped Mark Few reload every year. They lost a lot of good players and yet they are better this year than they were last year. I don’t how many recruits Mark Few has to beat the bushes to find and how many contact him about wanting to play for him. Either way, Gonzaga is able to reload every year and seemingly play well from day one. Contrast that with the BYU program this year. BYU also had a major turnover in players. Yes, BYU benefited having a senior transfer, LJ Rose. Maybe Rose should have tapped the JC pool to find a few more experienced players who could come in and contribute right away. But, Dave Rose has talked about how much he was looking forward to having a group of players who would have three years to play together. The downside to that is that the first year might be full of growing pains. The general thought was that Mika, Haws, and Emery had already played so much together that they would be way ahead in their chemistry and development. I think that advantage has been way over blown. I think the killer for Dave Rose has been the loss of Kyle Davis and Elijah Bryant. We don’t have enough maturity and experience without those two guys. Had they both been healthy, I would go so far as to say we would only have two losses and we’d be playing much better by this point in the season. The other possibility that Dave Rose probably didn’t anticipate is how well Mika would play. I think it is pretty unlikely that Mika will be around the three full years Rose was hoping to get. The reason the coaches get paid the big bucks is to adjust when things don’t go as planned. I’m still anxious to see how this season unfolds and how Dave Rose adjusts.

1 Like

Why on earth would I think that?

My point was that BYU sort of follows the same path every season and fans, boosters, etc. are okay with it. Honestly, how is this season shaping up to be any different than last season or the one before that. Since coming into the wcc, BYU has ended up in the same place every season. This season was supposed to be different with the arrival of the legendary LP3. The high school national championships were supposed to translate into a higher level of play, more quality wins and at least a berth in the ncaa tournament.

So the Cougars are 3-4 in their last 7 games, with an overall record of 7-4, 11 games into the season… They have no quality wins, unless you count Colorado, but that may not qualify depending on how the season plays out.

There seem to be signs of improvement, in spite of the losses, but there are signs of no improvement or development of the team either. Haws and Emery continue to get major minutes, yet they can’t consistently hit open shots. The team relies on Mika heavily, in spite of his being triple teamed. It is obvious that Rose is waiting for Kaufusi to finish football and Bryant to get healthy because Dastrup sits on the bench and none of the bench guards gets enough time to allow them to develop any kind of chemistry with the other players and even if they did, they would take a back seat to the gunners, who can’t seem to find their groove.

How or when is this pattern going to change?

Because two replies patently said so.

According to this poster

[quote=“JCoug, post:21, topic:7187”]
This is because you guys are content with mediocrity. It is one of the main reasons BYU never gets to the next level… too many fans . . .content with third place in the wcc, [/quote]
we fans and posters on this board simply need to change our expectations…

Even now the point seems Laugh out Loud funny.

A real answer from me, is that Rose grows as a coach,.
He has to figure out how to beat Gonzaga more consistently with the talent he consistently gets.
He has beat Gonzaga five out of the last six years on the court. But still due to the losses in the conference tournament holds a losing record to Few. Of course Few has the highest current winning percentage of any active NCAA coach, and fourth all time. Rose’s goal of winning the WCC is harder than it was in winning the MWC, just on that basic fact alone.

I think he took a step forward this year with better conditioning. I haven’t seen players this year tapped out the way they consistently were last year even at the beginning of the season.

His disappointment this year is palpable. He, like many of the fans, thought the upgrade in talent would make a major difference. It has been a long time since BYU was bitten with the injury bug like this team has been. I wonder if the conditioning made a difference here as well. Elijah’s injury probably not. LJ’s not. Beo’s and Frampton’s probably not, minor anyway. KD’s the different conditioning might have contributed.

The inexperience is where I come down. I think I’ve seen signs of toughness from these players that the KC led teams didn’t have, but the little things that come with experience working together have consistently slipped. Coach K and Coach C, with their stream of one and done’s don’t have the problem, so this underlines the fact that it is an experience issue.
Last year Few in Gonzaga had an experience issue as well. But his team finally gelled in the last quarter of the season. I think this must be the hope of the fans at this point. Well that and Kaufusi making a difference in the middle. He was after all the big man with the most minutes last year. The only true center even today on the roster. At this point I don’t see Bryant’s return making a huge difference but I haven’t seen him play and the coaches’ all have.
Over the summer Coach Rose was nearly giddy when he thought of three years with these players. The first year has been rockier than he expected. The third likely won’t happen but with Dastrup and some other bigs developing the third year may still pan out.
Yes I know…still the future…But this year’s 7-4 team is better than last years was. The new offense hasn’t jelled the way the old one had years to develop.

You are taking my comments out of context. This is not the first time you have used this tactic to try and make me look foolish.

Fans being content with mediocrity is not the reason the BYU basketball team seems to be stuck in that position. I am only commenting on how it seems like this pattern has followed suit year after year.

At the beginning of the season nearly everyone here was posting about how different it was going to be… STARTING THIS YEAR because of the large number of talented players coming into the program. After 11 games, I don’t see it. I see glimpses of what could be but I saw those last year and the year before that. Next come the excuses and reasons for why the scene doesn’t look much different. I liken that to the acceptance of what happens year after year and that is MEDIOCRITY.

Apparently there is some sort of communication problem because you don’t understand what I am attempting to describe. But this isn’t the first time. It seems you would rather cherry pick some comments and make them out to be something that wasn’t intended.

You would make a great tabloid reporter.

I will give you credit for your follow up comments after misconstruing mine. Your insight and perspective are well written and explained. Perhaps I would do better if I took more time to explain what I see better.

I’m not sure how to interpret the Gonzaga and Few explanation. I didn’t see the same “experience issue” you do. I saw Karnowski on the bench with an injury. I saw a less talented team, overall, than in past years. I also saw a lot of older players who contributed significantly to their success. What I see this year with Gonzaga is a lot of new players who don’t have a lot of experience, particularly playing together. In spite of that, Gonzaga is off to their best start ever I believe. They have played several quality teams and seem very capable of playing as a team, knowing their roles and coming together to do what it takes to win basketball games.

I don’t see why BYU can’t do the same. I don’t want to accept mediocrity, yet that is what BYU seems to deliever, regardless of talent and over-hyped expectation.

Thanks for the complements.

as far as my misunderstanding. your post. I was not the only one who read it that way…

Yes too many fans were expecting too much this year…and apparently Rose was one of those…but now back down to earth and back to work.

I love your comments here. They are very accurate, yet realistic and not so critical as mine tend to be. Also, I seem to have difficulty explaining my thoughts in a way that people will understand. That is frustrating to me.

If I compare, side by side, Gonzaga and BYU this season I don’t see a lot of differences in the players each team has, their experience level or their time playing together. If I am wrong then I hope someone points out to me how or why. We have 4 top 100 recruits. How many does Gonzaga have? We have some other fairly impressive recruits and some players with good experience playing D-1 basketball. This seems very comparable to what Gonzaga has this season, yet they are light years ahead of where BYU is right now.

I watched part of their game at Tennessee last night. They were in control of the game throughout until the officiating went so one sided for an extended period of time that Mark Few ended up with a technical as a result of it. It was really bad. But, somehow they stuck to the plan and did what they needed to, they ended up winning the game going away in a hostile environment.

Last year Gonzaga won the wcc with some decent year end play and a little help from the refs when they needed it. This year, if they keep playing like they are, they won’t need even a little help. Their team only has 3 seniors and lots of new players. How do they do it?

Well for one thing-if they make silly mistakes they sit. Few doesn’t allow “growing pains”. Their defense and offense is more structured. They look bigger and more athletic than BYU. Karnowski takes up a lot of space inside and he is a fairly smart player-doesn’t force much. Their 7 foot freshman center is going to be really good. Gonzaga is such a small school that it really kind of cool to see them go into these larger schools and win, like Tennessee. Hopefully there is more optimism by the time the WCC tourney comes but I’m not sure that I agree with this team being better than last years.

Perkins got a lot of time last year when he was making “silly” ie inexperienced mistakes.

This year assuming Coach Rose wanted to avoid growing pains, who would he have playing more?
LJ can’t play more physically, KD can’t play more physically. Aytes is better but according to his own words he still isn’t up to playing a lot more. Of the upper classman that only leaves kaufusi and Guinn.

Inexperience is what Rose has this year. He has always preferred experienced players even over more talented less experienced players. Especially at the beginning of the year.
This year he just doesn’t have any experience players to put on the floor.
Nielson, Chatman, Calvert, Toolson, FBiv all got more floor time than the current players. Obviously they are not available. Hartsock and Ainge for that matter would likely be more help than the current bench.
The coaches this year are making a concerted effort to be more player oriented. I suspect that the need to stop the leakage is the primary driver.

Perkins saw the pine a bunch last year for the error of his ways. Gonzaga was not as deep last year with their big man hurt. Sabonis imo should have stayed another year. Few is a good, intense, smart coach and not intimidated by the star status of his players.

Maybe so…but he’s on the floor just as much this year as last year. Josh Perkins - Charlotte Hornets Guard - ESPN

And it was a virtual consensus that by the end of the year he was playing much better than he was at the start. If he sat the pine so much because of Few’s policy, I would have expected fewer minutes last year than this year. . .not the same.

Agreed.
What a monster year they would be having if he had stayed though. Not measurable now of course, Can’t improve on 0 losses. But National Championship contender if he had stayed. Probably. They are mentioned on the edge of the conversation without him. If he were there. Gonzaga would be at the heart of the conversation.

Yeh my bad -Perkins averaged 30 minutes a game last year-shot 43%-averaged 10 points a game-not bad coming back from a broken jaw in 14

I’m sure Few pays his recruits well :wink:

Tennessee was pathetic. I wouldn’t make judgments based on playing them.

Sorry Tennessee is a SEC school, but it’s just another example that Gonzaga plays anyone home or road. And know your facts-Tennessee barely lost to North Carolina by two points, so I wouldn’t exactly call them terrible unless you are saying BYU is worse than terrible. Also lost to Oregon in overtime and Wisconsin by 8-all top 20 teams-so 4 of their 5 losses came against ranked teams. Pathetic-right!