Ok State on the road

Are there any gimmies in the Big 12?

How I Love/hate ESPN. Love the years they kept BYU afloat. Hate ESPN+ but we are shackled with this money grabbin app.

Scouting these Big 12 teams all fit the same script. Stop the guards, win the game

OSU is driven by 3 guards
Keep track of Jr 6’3 Small at all times. volume shooter, assist leader.(Johnon)
Sr 6’1 Wright to a lesser extent (hall)
So. 6’5 Williams (Knell/Robinson)

BYU uses it’s fire power to win this one. Please don’t make it a tight one.

See how the refs call this one. Could be 80 free throws. We need to have a 10 deep game ready players for road games. Practice free throws. A lot of them. Hope the refs settle down after the game last night.
Fouss should have a big game unless they call fouls on him when he nudges his defender away.

Why so much talk about officiating when there is nothing BYU can do about it? Let’s see you wiggle your way out of this one…

Honestly, I didn’t like the way the officials treated Khalifa. He was mauled every time he got the ball and never got a call. The grabbing, arm wrapped around him and hand checking was excessive. They called a ton of fouls for the other BYU players but allowed the UCF big men to maul Khalifa.

1 Like

That’s the way it is with the bigs. The refs let them be physical. They always have since basketball was born. I have nothing to wiggle out of. The fouls were pretty equal up until UCF began to foul on purpose and often to the end.

Your comments about officiating having some effect on the game. You always say it makes no difference. Which is it? Let the worm wiggling begin!

Comprehension seems to be lagging as you get older :grin: You don’t get it. I’m not complaining that one team isn’t getting the calls. Or, referees hate BYU and the Church. I was easily understood as saying some numbs and contact that doesn’t affect the flow of the game doesn’t need to be called on both sides to end up with 70 free throws in a single game.

Hmmmmm…Ok State is a poor shooting team from the field (43), from the line (67), and pretty meh from deep (34). They have barely more assists than TOs (13.7 to 13.1). That’s not a wild number of TOs, but it shows they don’t move the ball very well. Small is a good player but forces too many shots; Thompson and Wright shoot a lot and are positively bricklayers (39% and 32% overall). Their two bigs are a 6’8"/230 freshman and Fouss will push him around. Their other big (Garrison) is a 6’11"/245 freshman who has actually looked pretty good, but he has committed more fouls than even Atiki, which is a chore. I think if Fouss can PLEASE make up his mind fast with the ball, he can get Garrison in foul trouble then feast on the shorter, skinnier guy.

Ok State shoots a lot of 3s (25/game) but at a pretty low % (34.0). If we beat them on the boards and guard the 3 point line, BYU should win this game by 15.

Ok State has only gotten to 70 points 4 times in 11 conference games, and won’t get to 70 in this one.

Ok State held to under 70 and BYU wins by 12.

Tompson had season ending surgery

Me likey. Pointing out that all of OSU’s bigs are Fr. Khalifa and Foos should have a big night.
Defend the 3, out rebound. Cover the spread.

Tom, once again, your insight far exceeds me.

which is interesting to compare to his take on Pope’s orignal BYU Cougar team

This is the offense that the Hopper is always complaining about and says he doesn’t like. Their schemes are great. The thing I don’t like is that they sometimes don’t play with 100% effort all the time and allow teams to get back into the game. USF tried to grab and hold Khalifa and put their big right up in his face every time. I thought the officials should have called more fouls in that situation because there were fouls. It worked well for USF even though BYU was in control of the game… until the level of effort on both ends diminished and they allowed USF back into the game, almost blowing it at the end.

As good as Coach Pope is, (and he is exceptional, despite his penchant for exageration), if he imposed the discipline on his players that Kelvin Sampson does, his teams would better…like Pope Sampson often has less than NBA talent though you wouldn’t know it from the teams records…but of course as a Hoosier alum I have followed Sampson’s carrier more closely than I should have perhaps.

Well, we got off to a pathetic start. Still asleep.

He had one job to do cover three guards that’s it. We got all fancy she see you with different defenses recipe for a loss every time.

Yep. And with horrible shooting this is a loss.

That double foul was the worst call I’ve ever seen