Osu loss. That one stat

1- can’t win on the road without defense.
2-10. Refer back to 1

Even with hands in their faces they hit 3’s. And we shot some air balls when wide open. 7% from beyond the arc in the first half? 23% for the game? While OKS was 60% in the first half and 50% for the game? It seems like every game lately we shoot poorly from distance in the first half.
Defense has its problems. Staying in front of players by sliding better would help. What you wrote prior to the game about being too complex on the defense was evident out there.

1. See 1-10.
  2. I have been on him for awhile, but I’ll keep at it: Knell can’t guard ANYBODY. The entire team suffers on D when a guard simply can’t keep anyone in front of him. Add to that the fact that Knell is 6/31 from deep in the last 7 games. So far in league he’s proving he just can’t handle this type of athlete.
  3. Richie and Fouss both had a solid second half. Richie guards. Richie is an elite athlete. Richie should be playing more and Knell less.
  4. Dallin Hall got DOMINATED at BOTH ends by a true freshman averaging 5pg. What a disaster he was today.
  5. If I never see this team play zone defense again it will be too zone. That was laughable.
    16-20. See 1-10.
    What a mess that was.

PS Jaxson sure had his share of late matador close outs also. Absolutely no idea why Pope had these guys in zone so much. So ugly.

I know you want to harp on the defense. Fact is none of the guards could guard any of them. This has been going for a while now. So, where can we beat teams like Baylor on Tuesday? On offense. Like today. 23% from 3’s will never work. So, either shoot better or go for more 2’s. The defense is what it is. Of course, the fact that OKS shot 60% in the first half from 3’s hurt a lot. Still shot well in the second half too. That was unexpected. But that’s what beat us whether we played man or we played zone. We simply have to shoot better.

Didn’t see the game but looking at the stats it appears way too many threes taken when you aren’t hitting them. BYU has one of the best low post scorers in the conference. Feed the beast when you are cold.

2 Likes

A lot more 3s were shot towards the end trying to get back in the game. Hall hit 3. He finally woke up and stopped turning the ball over.

I have 93 reasons

Shoot better and we score 100.

play better defense they score 60

So, did you watch the game? We did play hard and attempted to stay in front of players on OKS. But, their offense was by far better than expected with passing and ball control. They were better on the boards too. But, they were really better at shooting 3’s than we expected. Not just the accuracy, but the number of 3’s they shot. That alone was 62% in the first half. While we were like 7%. And for the game, they were 50% and we were 23%. Had we hit just 4 more we had a good chance pulling out the win. Or, take 10 less 3s and pass it to Fousse and let him score 25 - 30 points and win. OKS was simply shooting out of their minds. Not just 3’s either. With hands in their faces too.

And, let’s stop with the Khalifa show that he’s a great passer. The fact is, since league began, he’s not getting the open cutters like he did against weak teams. He gives us little offense. And he can’t jump for rebounds either. I’d rather see more Atiki. Also, more Sanders unless Knell is hitting 3’s.

One more thing, if Adams is healthy, it’s time to burn his redshirt year. We need more talent out on the floor.

So, did you see the great defense in the NBA Allstar game? East 211 and the West 186. The East took 97 3 point shots. Made 42 of them. West made 25 out of 75. Better shooting overcomes bad defense :slight_smile:

And better defense can overcome bad shooting
Both can be true. A combination can be true.

And bad or no effort for defense in NBA allstar game is the apple and BYU bad defense is the orange.
See how that works?

1 Like

If you were making a joke using the NBA allstar game, then good one