Dennis Dodd - 11th

Tom Fornelli - 10th

Chip Patterson - 10th

Barrett Salle - 5th

Shehan Jeyarajah - 11th

Jerry Palm - 9th

David Cobb - 11th

Will Backus - 11th

Barrett Salle, who is higher on BYU than his peers, expects BYU to finish fifth behind only Texas, Kansas State, UCF, and TCU. For BYU, its ability to improve will come down to the many transfers on the roster. The Cougars knew they needed to add more talent to the roster after last season. They addressed their needs as much as they could through the transfer portal. BYU will count on new transfers to fill as many as half of the starting jobs in 2023. Most notably, BYU will start veteran transfer Kedon Slovis at quarterback. If Slovis can exceed expectations, BYU has a very good chance to finish better than 11th in the conference. If Slovis struggles like he did last year at Pitt, BYU will end up near the bottom of the conference in its inaugural Big 12 campaign.

Thoughts on these predictions? What do you think of Barrett Salie’s assessment?

I’m comfortable with Jerry Palm’s 9th. Means, 7 wins and a bowl game. Here is what the D news says
Projecting BYU’s fortunes in first year of Big 12 - Deseret News

Picking 2023 games

BYU 38, Sam Houston 14.
BYU 42, Southern Utah 10.
Arkansas 34, BYU 24.
BYU 34, Kansas 28.
BYU 37, Cincinnati 21.
BYU 37, TCU 31.
Texas Tech 42, BYU 37.
Texas 42, BYU 34.
BYU 37, West Virginia 24.
BYU 38, Iowa State 24.
Oklahoma 34, BYU 28.
Oklahoma State 41, BYU 34.
Wins: 7. Losses: 5.

■■■■ Harmon may be painting a better picture of BYU 's football future outcomes than what would be reasonable to expect, but I feel he is closer to the truth than the majority of prognosticators that put BYU near the bottom with 4 wins and 8 losses. I believe Slovis will perform better than many predict and the new players coming to BYU through the transfer portal will also perform better than predicted. My concern is how well our defense will do. It won’t take much to do better than last year, but will it be good enough for our offence to score in those close games in the weeks to come. Here’s hoping for the best. Go Cougars!

5 wins, 7 losses. Texas and Oklahoma were beatable a few years ago, but I don’t see it happening this time.

Now, I would love to be proven wrong.

Okay, you are wrong :grin: