SAINT MARY'S Gametime

Yet he’s not in the NBA where the great college players go. He could have made it but got sucked into Europe league way too early.

Yeh I agree he left too soon for the NBA, but who knows his personal circumstances and maybe his wife and he wanted to live in Italy

Another selfish BYU “Star.” Another reason why Jimmer was a class act.

I have always said that Seljaas isn’t a D-1 player. He is too slow and can’t make his own shot. He can’t defend other guards. Let him go!

If I recall, he and his wife both served missions in Italy. By all accounts he is an awesome, funny, goofy, humble kid. He has done great in Italy, and he and his wife have to be having the time of their lives as a young couple living abroad while being fluent in the language. Good for him!

1 Like

Mika did far and away the best thing for him and his wife. Anyone who thinks he is selfish for leaving to pursue his dreams does not understand why we went to college in the first place

I don’t have a problem about Eric Mika and his wife moving on and going back to Italy which is good for them. They probably are doing their missionary work which is great way that they do that. But if Eric was still single he may stay for another year and he could well be playing for NBA or Italy. I wish them well which I am sure they are getting what they enjoy.

1 Like

Yeh I wish the best for them. I miss him at BYU- no one worked harder than Mika

My sentiments exactly. If he isn’t knocking down a high percentage of his shots-he is a liability on offense and defense

Another Rose transfer hits the pavement! Hardnett gone!! Take Rose with you … please!!

Interesting news from Vanguish. The main reason that he was not happy for a long time at BYU and not happy with his coaches. And one disturbing part that he was playing less when Nick Emery started playing again. What were Dave Rose, Tom Holemoe and BYU thinking about Nick staying in the BYU basketball team? I hope Jahshire can transfer and start right away when he join with some team near his home in Mississippi because he suppose to be graduating in April.

I am so glad the return of Nick Emery has been such a good thing for BYU. Look how well the game vs. St. Mary’s went…

“Hardnett had taken on a reduced role in the Cougars’ rotation following Nick Emery’s return from suspension in December, forced to share minutes on the guard line with a scion of one of the program’s most recognizable families. However, despite the decreased playing time, Hardnett remained a key part of the Cougar attack, providing a quick first step and ability to get to the basket off the dribble that was unique among his teammates. Most recently, he converted a string of clutch free throws to clinch BYU’s first road victory of the season over Pacific on Thursday.”

Hardnett was averaging 10.9 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.7 assists prior to his departure.

The pattern is disturbing and the reasons for him leaving are not good. The nepotism, favoritism and just overall health of the basketball program is not in a good place. That is a lot to lose right there but I don’t see it stopping with Hardnett. Why would Baxter want to stick around? This is another reason why recruiting has gotten so bad. Think of all the good players that have left… and unless you are a kid who is from Idaho or Utah and was a high school phenom (*haha) why would you want to play basketball at BYU?

I mean come on… this is ridiculous… Big Picture ridiculous for sure.

Add Worthington and Cannon to that list.

3 non D1 players starting for BYU. Rose has killed BYU basketball.
Rose will not last past the final disaster of the WCC tourny

There is no indication that Mika was having money problems. Anything more than the other married players. Staying a couple of more years he would still have Italy as an option. He also would have had an NBA possibility.

Well, we will find out Thursday if the team pulls together and steps it up. So, Hardnett quits school instead of finishing this semester. If I were his parents I’d make him stay and get his degree now. Then, if he wants out, transfer for next year. Going out this way, what coach would pick him up for one year knowing he might cause contention on their team?

Hmmmm, Hopper … he did finish the semester. He quit on the day before the first day of winter semester. Better for him to do that. Now he can play part of next year for another team. I hope he goes to Boston College and succeeds! From what I hear he laid it out to Rose about the issues that he saw with Roses treatment of players not named Haws/Emery. Rose asked him to be a team player and his response was that this ain’t no team!!

1 Like

Yep, among others! The list is long over the last 8 years.

1 Like

Yep, I’m sure coaches from around the world are lining up to sigh this guy. That’s the kind of team player they wan’t on their team. A small poor shooting guard with a mouth and attitude. He could have played next year after he graduates in the spring after the winter semester as a Graduate player. Just like Carlino did.

Jashire:
Best defensive guard on the team. By far.
Fastest player on the team. By far.
Strongest pound for pound on the team. By far.
Best finisher at the rim not named Yoeli Childs on the team.
Poor shooting? Huh? Second best FT shooter on the team. Not a good 3 point shooter, but this whole team sucks at that.
You call it mouth and attitude. I call it swagger and confidence. This soft group could use a lot more of that.

1 Like

The NBA culture is a dumpster fire. Why would any upstanding person with any sense of morals want to be a part of that? Your love for the NBA is only exceeded by your love for the head coach at BYU. Neither is all that impressive right now.

1 Like