Slovis in the NFL combine

showed well
BYU football: How did Kedon Slovis fare at the NFL Combine? – Deseret News

I hope he gets a chance. My memory of his BYU playing is that he was good some of the time but he made some marginal decisions and throws some other times.

I liked him a lot as a person. He seemed to be a real good guy and he had some skills. He is the kind of guy you want to succeed. Maybe if he hadn’t been injured BYU would have beaten either, or both, Ok St and OU.

No, according to the masters of the universe Cougarfan it’s 100% on Arod. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Being facetious here. Yes, injuries were a deep concern to begin with for our first year in the Big 12. As with basketball, good offenses limit the easy scores for our defenses. As with martial arts too, as an analogy, great offenses limit the defense responses and overcome good defenses. Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Bill Superfoot Wallace, Muhammad Ali…But, the masters will argue anyways.

None of us ever said 100%.

I think the consensus was somewhere around 93%. Of course you don’t hold him responsible for anything, which is odd. Your martial arts analogy has nothing to do with Roderick and his puzzling game plans and play calling.

My analogy was perfect. A great offense can be a great defense.

93% is about right. About anywhere else he would have been fired. He’s got one final chance. Odds of success are stacked high against him. I give him 5% chance of success and being around another year. I hope he turns it around.

I feel like A-rod has hit a wall. How many opportunities, and they were simple, easy to call opportunities, does an OC need before the HC finally says “Hey, I don’t think you are understanding the flow of the game and what is working or not working. Often times the play that should be called is not and the situation is very obvious. We don’t have to out think or make abstract, inexplicable calls in game winning spots or opportunities”

He isn’t recognizing the obvious, the play calls seem random and guess work instead of what you might expect from an OC who has a feel for a specific game and makes the calls that work.

BYU’s defense was at the mercy of the offense so many times it was disheartening and frustrating to watch. It was like the offense played into the hands of the opponent instead of dominating them when the opportunity to do so was there for the taking.

This is true, but when the offense tosses the opportunities aside game after game, it becomes more about a puzzling offense being a bad thing for the defense.

Hopper - great defenses usually win championships. Bad offenses …. Which we have at BYU will kill a good defense by wearing them out. If you have a great offense that wins the TOP and scores points an average D can allow a team to win most of the time. However, I can’t recall a great offense winning a championship with a below average defense.

2 Likes

In your response is the answer I’ve been saying all along. Bad offenses in basketball give the opponents chances to run and score before the defense has a chance to set up. Defenses want to set up well into enemy territory to make offenses have to go 80 yards or more in football. Bad offenses gives the ball back in good field position in football and sometimes pick 6s. In basketball it translates to alley oop slam dunks.

This is a football thread.

BYU’s football offense lost a lot of games last year. Made BYU NOT bowl eligible for the first time in a long time and it was totally inexcusable.

The offense literally lost a couple of games all on their own.

1 Like

Poor offense usually leads to poor field position. This makes it easier for the other team to get withing scoring distance with either a touchdown or field goal. Pretty simple to understand. Not the defense’s fault because our defense is more of a bend don’t break defense. Same with basketball. Poor offense leads to easy outlets and fastbreaks for the other team. Looks like we aren’t playing defense but it is just they start with better court position with long rebounds and outlets. Same concept.