Speculation about Bowl Opponent--2016

The MW does not have a “pecking order” for their bowl games beyond the LV Bowl. All depends on geographical fit and travel distance. Here is how I think it will work out. The MW championship game is SDSU at Wyoming.

If Wyoming wins:

Vegas–Wyoming
New Mexico–New Mexico
Hawaii–Boise State
Potato–Colorado State
Arizona–Air Force
Poinsettia–San Diego State

If SDSU wins:

Vegas–SDSU
New Mexico–New Mexico
Hawaii–Boise State
Potato–Colorado State
Arizona–Air Force
Poinsettia–Wyoming

My logic

New Mexico–Obvious

Boise State to Hawaii–Out of the teams that are Bowl Eligible, BSU is the only one with a fan base that will travel to Hawaii

Arizona–Big Air Force base near Tucson

If SDSU loses to Wyoming–Obvious

Leaves CSU for Potato Bowl

Wyoming/BYU Poinsettia Bowl if SDSU wins–Old rivals that haven’t met since BYU left MW. Although same logic applies to Colorado State and Air Force.

I was wrong about this…there are only 75 bowl eligible teams. Hawaii, with a 6-7 record get the auto-bid to the Hawaii bowl as a result. It does not change who BYU gets, however. The Cactus Bowl will be without a PAC-12 team whether or not Washington is in the playoffs.

If SDSU wins:

Vegas–SDSU
New Mexico–New Mexico
Hawaii–Hawaii
Cactus–Boise State–As a PAC-12 replacement
Potato–Colorado State
Arizona–Air Force
Poinsettia–Wyoming

If Wyoming Wins

Vegas–Wyoming
New Mexico–New Mexico
Hawaii–Hawaii
Cactus–Colorado State–As a PAC-12 replacement
Potato–Air Force
Arizona–SDSU
Poinsettia–Boise State

Ben, sounds about right. My understanding of the MW title game is at SDSU??? SDSU is favored and the idea of playing Wyoming is just nauseating to me.

Boise would be a national draw and BYU nation would love to see that game with a healthy Williams. SDSU would be fun to see given our history with them. All of these MW teams have either really good offenses or just pathetic defenses so the game would not be boring. BYU’s defense does not give up much so BYU vs. anyone is a win…anyone but WY, please

MW title game is in Wyoming. Temps should be in the lower 20’s and teens when the game starts. Wind chill will be a lot colder than that. With weather and elevation I think Wyoming definitely has to be the favorite. I live in Wyoming so I would favor a BYU vs. Wyoming matchup so I could finally shut all my neighbors up!

Thanks for the info. Clay

Sure appreciate the Poppinga family sending their kids to BYU. The coach that left with Bronco was in our stake here in Orem. Class act and always a good source when church lessons got boring.

Still hopping for a BSU rematch