St Mary's Takeaways

Players who have been out for months have to play to get back into their groove. So, playing against SM gave him that time on the court in a real game. Had he waited until Pacific, he may have made some of the same mistakes as he did with SM. Rose is correct to have played him.

Hopper, we had plenty of room against Pacific for playing time for Bryant. Rose may be one step ahead of us … and realize that an NCAA at-large bid is not a reality…so he didn’t care about losing to StM. However, if he had wanted to have a legit opportunity to beat them, it would have been done by leaving Bryant on the bench.

Thanks for your insight! Now that Bryant is playing better, what do you think of Rose playing a four guard offense when Mika catches a blow? It seems to open up lanes for driving for a shot or for driving and kicking it out to the perimeter.

So who is the main backup for Mika in the four guard lineup? I submit that at this point it should have been Dastrup… because he is a better passer, sees the floor and could have defended the inside better. He is big, strong, stays on his feet and can block shots. But he is the last big man off the bench… Rose prefers Shaw and Kaufusi.

This is just another reason why I believe the way he has been handled is a big mistake.

Dastrup doesn’t run well. We’ll probably see more of him as he gets back into basketball shape (probably next year). Rose has always liked to push the ball up the floor. Shaw does that better than Dastrup for now. But, I still think Dastrup will be a good player for BYU as he gets into basketball shape…probably next year. What would you think of Childs in place of Shaw for the 4 guard offense. I guess it would all depend on the matchups.

Disagree. If he’s ready to play you always play your best players. After he made his errors he turned around and had a great second half. 40% from distance and helped get back in the game (within 5).

LOL! that was in the first minute or two after they were down by 8 at halftime. The truth is BYU never really “got back in the game” against St. Mary’s. I thought they played well overall so it was kind of a bummer when they never really got close to making it a game. Nice try, but the Cougars never really mounted a strong effort to make it a game.

Well, they did. I know you don’t understand:-)
Not missing short shots and a couple of layups and we take the lead. Along with not getting to the free throw line where we could have also caught them in the second half. Next year with more poise and experience!

If Rose is going to use a four guard lineup he would almost have to have Mika in there. Or Childs. Shaw would get overwhelmed he just not big enough. dastrup or Kaufusi have very little experience with the rest of the players