St Mary's vs BYU

I knew it… here comes another round of excuses. You see, that is the problem, no matter what I write there is an excuse at the ready.

You know what that really means? No accountability. When you make excuses for everything that isn’t going right or working the way it should it doesn’t hold anyone accountable for their actions or in this case, their erratic, immature play.

Is there another team out there that can beat Gonzaga on their home floor three straight years and lose to Pepperdine three straight years? or get blasted by St. Mary’s three times in one season? or give up 114 points to Utah Valley junior college?

STOP WITH THE EXCUSES ALREADY!

List your system for accountability. All we get is Rose has to hold them accountable. What’s your system? What’s your answer if it’s not sitting them and letting the subs lose more games?

There were plenty of games early in the season and during the wcc schedule where BYU was in a blowout win situation. There were plenty of instances where the bench could have been given more minutes without too much danger of losing the game. There were plenty of learning opportunities available, that were never used, to help with that accountability.

So how did that “letting the subs lose games” work? The chosen stars did a good enough job of that without help from the bench, good enough to be concerned a little about the NIT bid. They will get it because BYU is a big draw and the tournaments are all about the money, but don’t yap about losing with the subs… they never played enough to be “held accountable” for all of the bad losses or good ones for that matter.

The accountability system compels the players to play as a team and learn a role, something BYU teams have had a big problem doing the last several years. This team wasn’t a lot different than those.

You don’t think the subs don’t know their place on the team? What subs can do is work harder and like Dastrup, get in shape. Beo, shoot when open…
So, you think playing less time for the starters will help them play more as a team and get use to each other? I don’t think so…
Again, you dodge my question. What is your plan for accountability if it isn’t benching players?

This is the 3rd time that Hermanson has burned us. Its like Rose does not account for all the players. BYU gets 5 assists in the game, SMC gets 21. I don’t care how you look at it, it points to either poor coaching or players not willing to listen to the coaches.

This is the 3rd game this season that teams have chosen to shut Mika down and its like BYU does not have a plan if we can’t run the ball down low. I would point to Jackson who plays for Duke, the first 20 games of the season Coach K kept him on a very short leash and he did not have the green light to take shots, now he is a star…you learn fundamentals first, then you become the star…at BYU we kind of do things backwards.

I dare anybody on this board to try and answer your question --------------

LOL!!! I’m worn out trying to help you understand.

How did it work out this season? How often do you think the starting 5 were on the court together? I’ll bet it was more than most of the teams in D-1 college basketball. The subs played very little and scored even less. How many times did they actually “play as a team”? Most of the time it was “hey, it’s my turn to score, I need to get mine” or “give me the ball, I’ll win this game” or “Ole’, I’ll move out of the way so my opponent can make a layup”… just great teamwork… LOL!!!

You bring it up! No one else! So, what is the magic key that will hold the players accountable?

I think the time they have had will go along ways…

The accountability is easy. When they commit glaring errors ie no defense, terrible passes, and or shot selection issues… pull them out of the game and sit them down for 2 min. The only thing Emery and Haws love more than playing time is their wife! They will get the message. They are competitive and I think they will correct their behavior. If they don’t… We lose the game anyway. You might just find that certain bench players start to find their way…

That’s what Hawks once said but wouldn’t repeat it. The problem was bringing in the subs didn’t help. We would have lost more games.

First off, who cares if we would lose more games? We weren’t going anywhere anyway. The only shot of winning the WCC tourney was to broaden the bench. Where is the evidence you can point to that we would lose more games?? What game did the subs lose?

That’s just a defeatist attitude. I’m glad they didn’t coach and play for mediocrity. Who would want a 16-16 year? No coach at College level plays to lose games…

First rule of cougarfan… don’t ever try to reason with grasshopper. He makes no effort to understand what others write, he only changes what they say to fit his narrative. His understanding is rudimentary, yet exacerbated by the fact that he coached high school basketball 25 years ago.

If it is any consolation, I understand your logic and agree with it. The truth is that the current team is a lot worse off than fans like grasshopper realize or believe. I hope they can turn it around next season but I am skeptical based on what I saw. The problems aren’t a result of mission rust or inexperience. They run a lot deeper than those superficial excuses…