Steve Sarkisian - USC Football Coach / Mormon

Ok Floyd, I am going to give it up. I am a licensed clinical social worker with 2 graduate degrees, one in counseling psychology and one in clinical social work. I am now semi-retired with 35+ years of clinical psychotherapy behind me. I have worked in outpatient, residential and inpatient chemical dependency programs. Additionally, I have worked extensively with mental health patients, a substantial portion of whom have comorbid chemical dependency problems.

Some people develop a chemical dependency problem not out of any problem(s) but because they like the effects or for social lubrication or social pressure or for other non-problem reasons. Many of them have an inherited predisposition to become alcoholic / addicted and that eventually catches up with them. Other people do turn to substances to cope when they have some sort of problem(s) (including mental health problems) but the problems are not the CAUSE of the substance dependency. Many of these people also have a genetic predisposition to have substance problems. Many people who have drinking problems are psychologically dependent but not physically addicted. Others become both psychologically dependent and physically addicted. Alcoholics / drug addicts generally are unable to successfully resolve life problems until they become stabilized in sobriety. Chemical dependency is a PRIMARY disorder that must be successfully treated before other problems can be successfully addressed. Once sober, they can begin to work on resolving life problems and some of them succeed at this to one degree or another.

There are always exceptions to the stereotypes. For example my father drank alcoholically in his late teens and the first 9 years of his 20s. At 29 years, he just decided it was time to grow up, quit drinking and get married and he did just that. He even had an occasional beer or 2 later after he was married which never led him to go beyond 2 beers. Later still, he got bored with beer and never touched it or any other ETOH for several decades until he passed away.

I donā€™t mean to lecture but there are a lot of misconceptions out there about chemical dependency, a very complex disorder, even among ā€œhelpingā€ professionals and I may have some myself.

Thanks for your candor Roy, I appreciate itā€¦

I was just wondering your background, because there are people who posts that think they are expertsā€¦ just look at some of the postsā€¦

I never drank because I am allergic to alcohol (big ole hives pop up), which I am not sure if it just something I am allergic to or something to do with having several generations of heavy drinkers.

I really like your description of the problem and it very clearly understoodā€¦ thanksā€¦

I based my understanding on what my doctor, Social Workers and AA members have told me over the years, as well as watching my father and grandparents behavior and understanding ā€œtheirā€ issues with life and the things they dealt with.

I appreciate your clarificationā€¦ Thanksā€¦ hope I did not come off rudely, It is just that this subject hits to close to homeā€¦

No problem Floyd. In addition to my Dadā€™s alcohol issues, his sister was alcoholic and one of his brothers literally died directly from alcoholism. So it home to me too, past my professional career.

Roy - Fascinating background. Did you parents join the church?

Thanks Craig. Yes, my mom joined the church when I was 7 years old and my dad later in the late seventies, I baptized himā€¦

1 Like

Sometime a person has to sink to the lowest possible point, like Lamar Odom, hanging on to life. But not everyone has to go that far. They just need to admit the problem and accept help.

Who thinks they are an expert? So far you and Roy are the only ones that might be able to claim thatā€¦

I believe that the guy can overcome his problem. Heavenly Father didnā€™t put us on the earth to fail.

I am not an expertā€¦ just someone whose childhood consisted of living through my parent struggles of addiction to booze.

Please donā€™t take what I say about my dad wrong, he was a good man that tried to do his best for the family, he simply used alcohol to cope with the stress and personal inner issues. He taught me more about what true charity is than any other person in the church.

He had a hard life growing up (at age 17 he became the primary bread winner for his mom and 5 siblings after his dad passed), he did his best with what he knewā€¦

Steven,

If my memory is correct, (not sure), but I do not think that Sarkisian was LDS.
No, USC did not bring him down. He had the same drinking problem while at Washington.

Everyone is being extremely kind and respectful to/of him calling his drinking problem an illness and everyone wishes him well with his rehab situation.

More than once, he has put the AD on the hot seat. I feel sorry for Pat Haden.

I donā€™t claim to be an expert, just someone with a lot of personal and professional experience with such issues.

I think you defined the word ā€œexpertā€ā€¦

and the word on the streetā€¦Witt for USC head coach

Interesting. This would certainly be the time for him to bolt, when his stock is at an all-time high.

Yep. His name has been mentioned a number of times on SF Bay area sports news since Sark was fired.

I imagine 6 or 7 million a year would be attractive to Whitt.

Of course heā€™d do it for that. He spurned his alma mater for his arch rival for a couple million bucks; for $5-6/season? Heā€™d go anywhere.

Itā€™s going to be John Harbaughā€™s job to lose. He it the top pick for the job right now.

grasshopper,
Diversity of thought allows growth while having only one opinion prevail promotes stagnation. It is easy to put down something you donā€™t understand, but you show your own limitations when you do.

So, if you have two or more opinions on one subject would that make you bi-polar or have multiple personalities?
D&C 4:5 ā€œAnd faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.ā€
Ephesians 4:3 - 6 ā€œEndeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bonds of peace. There is one body, and one spirit, even as you are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptisms (not many or diversities), One God and One Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.ā€

Once we are converted and know right from wrong, do we still need diversity in thought that the above scriptures might not be true? I think not.

Rblack-where u been dude-missed your posts-come on back-and ignore the riff