TCU, the scouting report

If we beat TCU, we will be 5-1 and just one more win gets to bowl eligibility.

Whelp. No rushing game. No winning in the big 12. This game was disastrous for BYU’s psyche. Gonna be a long season.

You need to get deeper than that. The main backs ran the ball a total of 24 times. We were 2-14 on 3rd downs. We had the ball 5 times in the 1st quarter. Passing game routes are JR. High School level (not the players). Slovis starts every game poorly. Not ready mentally or physically.
Half way through the season isn’t the time to move players around and work only on fundamentals. We need more complicated plays, screens, slants, TE schemes and players can’t quit after first contact and stand around watching. New OC.

Grading the 2023 season, so far:
HC gets a D+ or C- (but for the entire time he has been HC and regarding the team performance, not
administrative stuff).
OC and staff gets a D, the O is offensive to us fans.
DC and staff, dunno, too many variables in their short tenure.
QB - serviceable but not much more.
O line - a C.
RBs - D+
Receivers - B-.
D line - C-.
LBs - C+ to B
DBs - C+.
Special team staff - B.
Special teams - B+ to A-.

Overall Team: C to C-.

Thanks for the breakdown. I’m with most of your grades. I the punt team was really bad. Two balls were tipped. They fixed it but too late.
The OC coaches get an F. At this level to see all the mistakes players are making is pathetic. On the pick 6, the receiver stopped his route in a man coverage. Never do that. That wasn’t Slovis fault. The receiver should have continued and been between the QB and defender. Things like that.
The RB are good. It’s the blocking schemes and poor technique giving up after the first hit.
May I suggest everyone listen to the BYUSN today with what Dave McCann and Trevor Matich said. It’s what I’ve been trying to say about the lack of creativity.

Need to vent now that it has been almost a week. I’m not sure exactly what to say but I do know the sour taste is still in my mouth. That was probably one of the worst games I have ever witnessed by a BYU football team. I didn’t see one thing that I thought was good. I guess if I were to pinpoint the one highlight of the game for BYU it would be the punt that was downed somewhere around the 5 yard line. That is it. There was NOTHING else to be happy about.

This is exactly the kind of game that I fear everytime BYU steps on the field. The announcers were mystified, disappointed and truly surprised at how bad BYU was. I have seen them do many of BYU’s games and they are usually complimentary but also honest. They had nothing good to say and I think they were bummed that they didn’t.

What they don’t have at their disposal is years and years of being a fan and witnessing this kind of stuff frequently. That is why I stated earlier in this thread -

and then this at the end

And now I know why. Because the mental fortitude to go into TCU and simply compete on an even level isn’t there. How many times has BYU made a new QB (his first career start) look like a world beater and all american? So many I can’t count them all. How many times does a BYU team with a good record (4-1) go into a game where they are at least equal to their opponent and get a beat down? So many I can’t count them all. I could go on and on but it’s like a broken record.

I don’t think I’ve ever had such a long love/hate relationship with anything like I’ve had with BYU sports and BYU football in particular. It’s the worst.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree with Jim more on his post. It is just too bad that we can’t treat sports at BYU like the university treats the athletic dept. It makes them stand on their own. Financially support themselves. I am ok with that. But we can’t treat coaches like employees of the church and school. They have to treat coaches …… who get paid big bucks to perform …. Like good sports programs and institutions do all across this country. ARod needed to be fired years ago and Tui shouldn’t have been hired at all, let alone 7 years of employment with zero to show for it. Sitake should accept a pay cut or simply pay him a stated amount per win. You perform you get more pay. You lose you get paid less. We simply hang onto coaches way to long at BYU. Even LES should have stepped aside 3 years before he did. Rose should have been asked to step aside 2 years before he was asked. I know people will be mad at these comments. ARod is not close to a good or elite OC. Hill needs time to get his guys. 3 years is the lifeline to him. We will see origress or not by then. We simply don’t have the accountability factor in the BYU sports program because we treat the employees of the athletic dept …. Including coaches as church office building staff! We need to move to the big league of sports if we want to compete in the P5 realm and the Big12.

1 Like

I have no control over those things. So, I simply watch and enjoy the games. Some need a psychiatrist…

My post was for everyone else on the board, not really for you!

Dr. Seuss is a great psychiatrist…pick up his books at Amazon…:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I know this might get to Jim, but BYU does have a former OC that is proven. He engineered Weber State run to the FCS Championship the year before he came to BYU.

Fesi Sitake (Kalani cousin) is proven on various levels. But yet, ARod is making the calls? Not sure what is going on.

Kalani is a good coach, however, his decisions on who is his OC and DC’s is not the best choices.

Where we go from here, I am not sure. I would have Fesi do the play calling, and AROD do whatever he does that does not hurt the team performance.

Then next year, look for a quality P5 OC to replace AROD.

I did notice that Arod did put Conner Pay back to his rightful position “Center” that should help.

1 Like

I don’t think the OC ever coached at Weber State. He has been at BYU for 20 years. The DC coached at Weber State and I think he is a good DC. I’m concerned that the defense is on the field too much. BYU has not been able to establish any kind of gameplan that works well on offense. There is no flow or rhythm, no contimuity, no consistency at all. I’m not sure what the offensive philosophy is from game to game. Honestly it is pretty “offensive” to me as a fan of football. They didn’t win that game last night, TTU lost it.

Did anyone else see TCU get blasted by Kansas State yesterday? Yeah, I think anyone with an understanding of football could see that one coming. Once again, BYU is a pretty mediocre team with mediocre coaching, no game plan, no halftime adjusting…

Anyone want to add to that?

Fesi Sitake is the reciever position coach at BYU, but before he came to BYU, he was the OC at Weber State.

Check out his bio if you dont believe me.

The first half we had a game plan. We were creative on both sides of the ball. As I wrote in other threads, I see the same thing you do. Opponents make halftime adjustments and we decide to get conservative and throw away anything creative. I was glad to see Robbins in the game and productive. Early on in the season when he played he looked slow and weak. Now he’s more healthy and it shows. LJ will still play if he wasn’t hurt. But together could make a difference with the run game. That would open up the pass game and more creativity throughout the entire game. So, my prediction for the Texas game is 28 to 24 BYU.

Why wouldn’t I believe you?

Why is everyone so quick to be offended and snappy?

Come on Floyd, I’m always nice to you.

That’s my line :rofl::rofl::rofl:

There was a guy shown during the game on FN1 that had a blue painted face that looked a lot like you. Was that you?

I quit trying to predict what this team will do. And after Sat, TT win, I am encouraged. Not that BYU can beat a high scoring team or another road win but at home where Big 12 teams are new to LaVal Edwards Stadium, anything can happen.

But in no way is BYU a mediocre team. On another post, I underlined that BYU is Winning with Defense, Hill has made a huge difference. With Big powerful Robbins back, there is breath back at RB. Big change.

1 Like

I responded to your post JIm, in which you said that the OC never coached at Weber State, which I never said, I said we have a FORMER OC from Weber State on staff.

Not snappy at all, just stating facts… My point was that Fesi is Kalani cousin, which you have issues of nepotism at BYU sports. Thus my comment about your feelings.

The difference I think is that Fesi is actually a proven product. He knows how to call the plays. At least on the Weber State level. In my opinion, would be any worse than AROD?

I watched a little of the game on tape, Our secondary is using walk-ons and 3rd string safeties, in fact they recruited a receiver to play safety in the TT game.

I will give Hill a break, normally changing a scheme like he has takes at least a year to understand the nuances of his scheme, where to be, what to do, etc.

Still curious why we don’t seem to have pressure from the defensive line. Although the defensive ends were having a field day with the backfield.

Not sure there is anything that can be done with the offense until ARod is removed. Next year will be interesting to see what happens with the offensive line, because we could lose 3 or 4 of the starting five next year through graduation, leaving early or the transfer portal.

Nope, In Portland visiting my 9th grand-chid born a couple of months ago,

Since you watched the game on FS1, did you find the amount of commercial breaks annoying in the first half? Seem like they had a series, break for commercial, then another series, break for commercial and on and on and on.