Team has Quit on Sitake

It only takes one quality candidate to be a head coach

On BYUSN this morning, Matich: diplomatically said the team has quit.

IF Sitake is not just blowing smoke (which he usually does), the only way to get this team back on track is to play those who actually show, by consistent behavior, that they will play hard and smart. Otherwise there is the bench for those who will not or cannot play to that standard. No matter if you are the star stud player on O or D or special teams. At the end of the year, yank a schollie if it is waranted. The same standard for the coaches. Holmoe should do that for the HC.

Does the higher ups or the Athletic administration or the AD have the stones for that? I doubt it.

Well said,
I would think that most byu fans know that moving to the Big 12 would see growing pains that could take years. we were all patient with Indy and the impossibility of making a NY6 game. No so patient with the rec. league and the HS basketball gyms.

I love Sitake, this defensive debacle is not his fault other than waiting a couple of years too long to replace Tuiaki for a real DC. I feel bad for the seniors. Better days ahead.

One of our guidance counselors’ sons plays for BYU (secondary). He saw some garbage time at the end of the Liberty game, the first time he’s stepped on the field. This is the kid who (per his mom) has been reprimanded and relegated to the scout team and bench because he continues to want to play tight coverage and press receivers. He was told (again, per his mom) to “trust the system” and follow directions (play prevent defense — play way off of receivers and concede the underneath stuff in order not to give up the home run bombs).

According to her, most of the team is demoralized, and morale is at an all-time low. She says there are a few players (primarily young ones who haven’t gotten playing opportunities) who are hungry and desperate to prove to the coaches that they have high spirits and high morale, but according to her, they’ve already lost most of the team.

ETA: His brother, a defensive end with recruiting offers out of ALA-Queen Creek (Detmer and Hall’s team), is on a mission and is rethinking his offer from BYU. Getting drafted into the NFL as a defensive player has become a real concern for LDS players who perceive BYU as a real liability.