The Delemma We Have With our Loved and Appreciated Coaching Staff

Of course, that is only your opinion. Do you have any letters, emails, texts, Twitter, videos of their decisions for BYU football? :grinning:

"I believe that football is way down the list of their priorities in the Church. "

Tex Coug, I made 4 replies on four different things that I quoted you on. I believe that you are 100%
correct on all 4 counts.

I don’t think that we can blame Sataki or any other coach for our lack of success. I don’t think that we can blame any of our players for our lack of success.

I think you hit the nail on the head. We, as fans , coaches, and players are hitting our heads against the wall for nothing. We are programed to fail.

The leadership refuses to pay the required amount of money to hire the the coaches in the areas that they are experts in.

We hire a Defensive coach as a head coach and an offensive line coach as an Offensive Coordinator and then we blame the coaches and the players for losing to teams like Washington and Utah that pay to get the experienced coaches. We can’t even beat Toledo. It is the leadership that is not the authority in all things obviously. (Doctrine yes. Football no)

Why bother anymore if the leadership is not really interested in our football program.

Why is it that they can invest in Coca Cola and Pharma and the many other business ventures, but they won’t invest in BYU Football? Why is football so far down on their investment list as being important?

If the leadership is not interested in investing in BYU football, than why should the fans be?

Maybe the leadership needs to see a stadium full of empty seats just to get their attention.

Our coaching staff is not the problem. Our players are not the problem. The fan base is not the problem. It is the lack of commitment from the leadership that is the problem. It is the coaching staff that is the scape goats. Not fair to them or to the players, or to the fans!

I love my BYU Cougar Football team, and their coaches, and their fans. We deserve more from the leadership.

Okay grasshopper.
Tell me how it really is wise one.

Floyd,

Perhaps you are correct that the story may have origniated from a different source. I really don’t know, but it was the Desert News KSL and the Provo Hearld where I read about it. I don’t read those other sources.

Respectfully, Ron

John Brady,

With much respect for you, I must remind you that the name P5 and G5 came after the time of Lavel Edwards.

Another point is that if we got one team, that was under the cloud of P5 per season, it was like the most fantastic season we could have. I remember thinking the name “Rice” on our schedule seemed big time. “How little I knew”.

The year of our NC, I believe we had 3 such teams. On a regular basis, it was not until his last 1-3 seasons that we started adding those tuffer teams to our schedule.

I believe that his final year, Lavel had 4 such teams on our schedule.

I respect you and most all that you post.

Thanks

Ron

Blaming the Brethren for losing games. Really? To me that is really silly.

I don’t really expect much change in the salary structure at BYU. As it is now BYU only picks up half of Sitake’s salary the other half by boosters. They are currently ranked 126th in the nation in paying their coach only UMass and Idaho State pay less that are on their schedule. If Sitake was really successful BYU probably couldn’t retain him anyway so unless a million BYU fans want to kick in a buck…nothing will change in that respect

With all the fast money going all over, you’d think they could spare $10 million for coaches at BYU :rofl:

I had a thought and question. If money makes a coach better, do soccer and volleyball coaches at BYU make a lot less too than other top programs? Probably. But, those programs and coaches are top notch! So, is it really the money? I don’t think so.

It hasn’t always been that way. Maybe the hand full of really top teams simply get more 5 star players because of the name and history of the schools. Does that mean some of the high paid coaches aren’t good coaches? No. But there are other factors why top teams are always top teams besides what they pay their coaches.
Again, why are our volleyball and soccer teams keep winning and in the top tier? We don’t pay those coaches top salaries either.

Because they aren’t high profile sports that don’t pay like money making sports like football and basketball. It’s about supply and demand. Look up and see what BYU’s women’s soccer or volleyball coaches make compared nationwide. My guess is the aren’t in the same stratosphere with football and basketball. The best teams in basketball and football have the highest paid coaches and when a really good coach rises from the woodwork he will get paid according to his success rate which coaches duties include recruiting 4 and 5 star athletes. It’s plain as day if you do the work. An anomaly would be Notre Dame whose coach isn’t in the top 30, but the again you get all that history and mystic. BYU lost out on the Navy coach because of what he termed “ their lack of straightforwardness” and was rewarded a new contract with a service academy triple of what he would get a BYU. Again, it doesn’t matter to me what BYU pays a coach, but you better be willing to lower your expectations, because you will get a mid-level program on the plane of a MWC team and even then they don’t approach some of those teams like BSU and lately USU or SSU. The proof is staring you right in the face, while you continue to gripe about inconsistent play and make what if excuses. Think where we would be if boosters weren’t paying half of the coaches salary. Whatever the church wants is fine but quit crying about not being a P5 school

Lol average head soccer coach salary 47k-coaches are standing in line for that job

grasshopper: So what is your point? If LE didn’t play 4-5 P-5’s (which there weren’t any P-5’s in LE’s day). So what does playing eleven games to 12 games make any difference? If BYU played a balanced schedule with 2-3 maximum P-5 games and the rest G-5 perhaps we would have a better record. BYU does NOT have the depth to play 3-4 P-5 in a row or in a regular season.

Sr_Burton: Good answer to grasshopper. I agree with you, BYU is a Church run school, not with a Notre Dame pedigree. The Church is not in the P-5 business. But somehow our Athletic Director seems to think so. I am not sure what he is doing with his scheduling of football games. Teams like Alabama, Oklahoma, Washington, etc. have three and four deep 4-5 star athletes on their football teams. BYU will never be three or four deep 4-5 star players.

You miss the point. Look up the pay for say Penn St. volleyball coach for women and the pay for BYU’s coach. Inner Penn pays a lot more yet the girls are always right there with them and other P-5 conferences. So, why do we get the talent we do for volleyball that is equal to other big name schools?
5 star athletes are looking for where they can leap from into the pros and make a bunch of money. Schools that have a history of winning national championships regardless of who the coach is. LE could have coached at one of those schools and won. And he wasn’t being paid at BYU what he could have elsewhere. But we won a NC.

But according to you guys they could if they were paid a lot more to get so called better coaches. Then we would be deep with 5 star athletes. But, you know that isn’t true. We still wouldn’t with the honor code.

Hopeless-we won a mythical NC because their wasn’t a playoff in place. We barely beat a nearly 500 Michigan team. Look at the facts. Look at the top 50 ranked d1 football teams at what they pay their coaches. Yes there is a definite correlation and no matter how much you whine and try and deny the facts it is the way it is. Leave out the soccer, volleyball, lacrosse-they are not high profile sports in college with tons of kids beating down the doors to play. While your at it call Alabama and tell them how foolish they are for paying Nick Saban all that money when they could have had Kalani Sitake for much less. Laughing stock

Of course, Ron, I know they didn’t call those conferences P5 then, but I think we can agree that those conferences, although not called P5, were still a step above the WAC or MWC–even then.

While the reference was anachronistic, I thought it would simplify the discussion. Sorry about that.

LaVell was a great football mind. He was inventive and allowed his assistants to thrive with a few course corrections along the way. But he was also an excellent talent evaluator.
If he had a fault it was that he was too loyal to the poor coaches on his staff. All the good ones moved on and after 25 years he still had coaches who never went anywhere. They gradually pulled the program down.

I wouldn’t discount the 1984 team. Michigan was a top 15 team that eventually went to #3 but lost 7 all Americans to injury over the first 5 games of the year. They upset Miami in the first game and then hit Washington and lost 4 starters on defense in that game. The next game they lost 3 offensive starters with 2 being All Americans. They didn’t win more than 6 games but were never blown out.

Interestingly the Holiday Bowl was a month after the season ended and all but 1 injured player returned to face BYU. That was their rallying cry. The 1984 BYU team has to be looked at in context of NFL players and common opponents to Washington and Oklahoma. There were common opponents and all of them said BYU was the best team they faced. Tulsa told Oklahoma that a healthy BYU would have beaten OK by 20. UW actually had the strongest argument because they beat Oklahoma in their bowl game. BYU graduated 10 starters from the championship team and UW lost just 4 and when they played in 1985 BYU whipped that same UW team by 28. The 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 2001 and the 2006 teams were the best BYU ever had. They could have played in NC games and legit won some of them.

I disagree. ASU under Frank Cush was a national powerhouse. TCU Utah BYU and even Boise St could compete with the big boys during that early 2000 run. It is when the P5 signed the monied contracts that recruiting and TV time went towards P5 league expansion that teams not in the P5 headed towards mediocrity.

1 Like

Why apologize to him. He’s all knowing and seeing. No one knows what he does. Having a different opinion isn’t allowed in here. If you do you will be labeled narcissistic and banished to outer darkness. I agree with you and it did simply things.