The New Years bowl picture

I say we would have been 11-1

Fish I agree on Utah beating USC and then actually playing BYU. We have to beat them … if we do … NY6 for sure and maybe a CFP shot also

OSU is stomping Indiana
Cincinnati will win easily
Clemson not playing
UCLA will not beat Oregon
USC beats Utah
Wisconsin will not stomp NW
Oklahoma defeats Oklahoma State

I was thinking the same exact thing. If both byu and Cincinnati were to get in, doubtful, but I’d bet my house that they would get paired up together. Just like TCU and Boise years back.

The BCS will do absolutely anything to keep their illusion of dominance over the college football world. Much like the politics in our country, they control the narrative. Always ducking, weaving, and manipulating. No way would they play a BYU type team unless they absolutely had to. And even then they would find a way to scuttle out of it.

10-2, 11-1. That would be a tremendous year. Its kinda ridiculous that even if byu pulled off a season like that in 2020, with their killer schedule, they would be no better off than they are right now. Playing weak teams is boring, yes, but you cannot deny the results.

Schedule weak early. Build confidence and your ranking, then play 3 or 4 good teams in Nov.-Dec.

Hard to get big 5 teams to schedule outside their conference late in the year, but maybe Mr. Holme could get a rivalry going with Norte Dame again. Imagine what a Norte Dame Game would do for us right about now. Even with the crappy schedule, a win would give byu a lock for a new years six for sure.

Well, your pretty much wrong with those predictions to this point. OSU barely hung on to win

32-7 at one point-Indiana made a good comeback-good for them

Who has the best chance to make the College Football Playoff? (espn.com)
The good news…OK beats last hope OSU, puts the B12 out of the playoff picture…OK takes on NY6 spot.
NW takes out Wisconsin. Moves Cin and BYU up up the ladder.

Who has the best chance to make the College Football Playoff? (espn.com)

Cin upped its playoff stock, moving well past BYU, to 35%. and importantly, past Clemson to gain the 4th spot (we all know what will happen next)
BYU fell from 25% down to 14%.
Oregon jumped to 27% and USC to 15%.

I say BYU now has to play a good P5 just to get into a NY 6 game.

At this point, OSU was exposed and very beatable.
Alabama looks like a NFL franchise.
Still a whole lotta football to be played, players to be injured, covid to take out games.
My big worry is where the P12 lands. Oregon is going to roll in its last 3 games but USC could lose to Colo or likely Chip Kelley @UCLA.

You are right”a whole lot of football to be played” I believe Cincinnati still plays Clemson which will be a loss for them. BYU supposedly turned down a game with Washington, which I believe was smart as the PAC12 wants to dictate every little nuance regarding the “privilege of playing a PAC 12 team. As for Oregon, I’m not completely sold on them either, especially on the road. If BYU could possible play Texas, or Texas A&M and win, it would look good for them, but most likely these types of games aren’t going to happen. Another option would be an ACC opponent, maybe North Carolina or Virginia, which has won 3 straight or Miami. Just idle speculation. Probably, if we get any game, it won’t be a top tier P5 team

BYU wants to see where the CFP committee ranks them before they accept a Wash game or any other team out there.

If you read all of the ridiculous requirements Wash put on a BYU game, I would say, “they need us, we don’t need them”. Make em come here if they want it that bad.

You sound just like Jarom Jordan on BYU Sports Nation :face_with_monocle:

BYUCampus,

" BYU is doing well in the polls BECAUSE it is doing well on the field. "

After beating N. Alabama, 66-14, we fell in the polls from #8 to #14.
Yes , I agree that bias is a big part of it, partly because we are LDS perhaps (Maybe),
but mostly because we are not a P5 team.

We we’re invited to play at mutual open dates, the P5 pac 12, now #8 Washington Huskies,
with losses, but we refused.

We have open mutual dates with #7 Cininnitti, 8-0 season, while we, at #8 had a 9-0 season.
Neither team ended up with a great SOS. Why are not we playing each other on these mutually open dates?

Why does our OB, on his head band, read “any team, any time, anywhere” if we refuse to play Washington and not try to play Cincinnati on mutual and available open dates?

What is that suprise announcement that is soon to be coming from our AD.

fish,
Can anyone guess when that surprise announcement will be coming from our AD?

Not to criticize, but to scratch my head in confounded wonderment,

why is it that the band on our Possible Heisman Trophy Candidate, Zach Wilson, reads, "Any team; Any place; for any reason; "

While at the same time, we turn down a request from the University of 'Washington to play, on our open date.

The P5 Washington Huskies, a well-respected team that we should be able to beat, from the proud Pac12 conference would be a team, that would be a battle to the end.

I have confidence, that with our current QB; our current

receivers, our current RBs, or current defense and special teams, and our current lines on both offense and defense, we can and would beat this respected Pac 12, P5 conference team, that would give our school respect that it apparently lacks without the game. Make that game possible.

The game between Cincinnati and BYU on the mutual open dates should and must be played. That game, between the two teams with Cincinnati, ranked 1 point above us but with their 8-0 season being compared to our 9-0 season is in question. With these two teams having the same open dates, the powers that be, the AD’s of each school and ESPN, and the NCCA must make this game happen.

Yes, I agree. Playing these two teams, put us, (and each of the other two schools), at risk of lowering the ranking below what it is now.

Do you agree, that if we do not play them, we are at even greater risk of having a perfect season, that because of our SOS, means nothing to the NCCA and we have accomplished nothing worth bragging about.

Do you agree that our opportunity is greater, (win or lose), of getting the New Years Day type of Bowl respect if we play Cincinnatti and Washington, or do you think that #14 in the nation ranking with no New Years Day respect is better, keeping our 9-0 or 10-0 season in tack. Let me knowl

Read the requirements that were imposed on BYU to play Washington and because of those requirements the game would not have happened anyway. BYU does not have to act like the poor step-child and agree to a lop-sided agreement, just because they are BYU. BYU would jump at the chance to play Cincinnati, but there is not any incentive for Cincinnati to play BYU-it’s a no brainer- In a year when athletic departments are running in the red, the payouts for bowl games are an issue. The only teams that probably would agree to play us, would be lower ranked teams like Texas. Not a great proposition for BYU, as it would mean little if BYU won, as far as rising any higher, but we would play them anyway and being as we are ranked higher, maybe they should visit Provo-unlikely. The best thing BYU can do is entertain a fairly reasonable offer from anyone and go undefeated and let it fall where it will. BYU is a historic and storied University, with great alumni, students and some of the best facilities in the country. We don’t have to act impoverished to anyone

1 Like

Why do I take a little morbid satisfaction in watching Oregon go down in flames?

The P12 has mathematically eliminated themselves from the playoffs. In their infinate wisdom to start so late, they have cancelled themselves out of everything this year.

Big 12 did it by Tx and OK losing their first two. Then Tx today was sooooo pathetic that they could not do BYU even a little favor in beating ISU. BYU would sleep walk past either club.

Now OSU is in jeopardy.

Well, because of the league rules that said if another league game opens up then BYU is out. All players would have to immediately fly back from their family homes to Provo to practice. Then, in Wednesday, Washington found Utah opened up. So, no game and the players miss Thanksgiving with their families. That’s just one major thing why we didn’t take the game. And, the last time I looked, quarterbacks don’t make big time money commitments and decisions on who we play? Since when did Zac Wilson become AD? He didn’t. Understand more now?

Wash trolled BYU. Nobody took the bait

Cinn would never risk a game with BYU. They have 3 more games to worry about and they are sitting pretty.

UCF looks unworldly, taking down SMU by 40. Cin will still have to play them again in the LC game.

Finally some good news: Overrated Northwestern lost to lowly MSU. Ducks splatting all around BYU. I predict that BYU moves up because the committee got a DRUBBING over the weekend by all sports media. From any sane person and all the Covid dishevel in the P12, Big 10 and 12, I would think that the CFP would allow two good undefeated non P5s over the hot mess we see out there now.

Who is BYU Competing Against for a Spot in a NY6 Bowl? (si.com)

Northwestern did us a big favor. The big 12 needs to have 3 losses and everyone in the P12 needs one loss so now we root for Oregon,

BYU football: Cougars hoping College Football Playoff committee treats them better Tuesday than they did last week - Deseret News

BYU is top 5 in both O and D nationally, move em on up CFP

Oregon should defeat Washington, but with the PAC12 you never know if they will play