The pre season ended, what do we know?

Depends on who we play. Lohner has to start with a team that has a big front line. Hopefully Atiki continues to improved. He looked better last game.

NICE FISHING REPORT, I’m biting.

Wish Tom would chime in, he must be coming off his food coma.

Hopper does make a nice point about Knight and his elbow. Square it - make it.

Here’s the thing…A perfect team is one where you can’t slack off any player. all five will make a basket if left open. BYU was there at points over the past 2 Pope seasons, and the reason why I have been critical of Lohner and his minutes. Before Foos and his 13 rebounds, Pope had no one capable of 10 rebs/game outside of Lohner, Foos changes everything now. But Foos can’t play away from the basket, or we get killed inside. With Baxter, BYU was not going to lose any of these games except to a hot shooting Craighton but even that game would of favored BYU.

Enter George and his hot shooting, Now our best 5 on the floor should be:
Baxter
Lucas
Knell
George
Foos
with Johnson interchanging with Knell. Johnson has better analytics then Knell but Knell just pops when starting with Barcello/Lucas. Johnson can play without Barcello or Lucas on the floor, he is that good.
Any other combo is a sharp let off on offensive production.
Knight can create a shot but clearly, Pope’s offense is new to him and he has not figured out how to play in it…yet.

If you want our best defense team
Barcello
Lucas
Johnson
Lohner
Foos.
This combo will net you 10 more rebs per game and make things tough
Now only 4 guys can be counted on to make a shot. Lohner has got to find his shot
Erickson is coming on strong but only has real minutes against inferior teams so wait and see
Knight is in a pickle with too many shooters eating up time.

The way Pope coaches’ it’s not really critical who starts. It’s pretty well unanimous who the first 10 are and any of the second five could log more minutes than the starters. BYU needs to dominate the boards and needs all their players. The game against Westminster was a pitiful effort and Knight and Johnson missing didn’t help. Hopefully they shake off the Hawaii doldrums, because they have a tough game coming up with St Mary’s pretty soon, that’s critical. So much about shooting is confidence and I wish Lohner would get a shot of it

Good analysis. I’m not quite as high on Lucas. He has some great moments. But, he’s losing his dribble and balance 3-5 times a game turning the ball over. I then think maybe Johnson. He does good but then he zones out with the strangest turnovers. Basically hands the ball to the other team.
I wish Stewart would get more time.

I like Johnsons effort and typically he is consistent and smart but dang he needs to learn to finish when he shoots and/or goes to the rim. He misses way too many easy or open looks that often allow the opponent to stay close or get back in the game when BYU has an opportunity to separate themselves.

In fact this is an ongoing issue with this team. They don’t have a killer instinct like they did the first game vs. Oregon. I know they are missing Baxter from back then but the rest of them need to come together and be consistent.

They jumped out to a 6-0 lead 30 seconds into the game vs. Westminster and only outscored them by 6 the rest of the game… A 12 point game, in which they never really put Westy away (though it was clear they would win) is not going to serve them well in wcc play.

They have had time to develop chemistry, now it is time to put it into action in games.

The illnesses have caused a lot of this. I think all of them except Lohner, Fousse and Atiki have been sick.