Thoughs on this oncoming football season

The QB battle:
It never was a battle. Once Taysom Hill announced he was coming back and once they said he was 100%, he became the starter. Would you sit the greatest athlete BYU ever recruited, a duel threat guy that can outrun everyone on the field? I didn’t think so.

And if Mangum should be called into running the team, he is light years ahead of where he started last year. I would think that our running game would open up just on Tanner being in there and defenses having to respect his lazar arm.

This 6-6 baloney that I hear from the sports world, I just don’t see it… Injuries will determine it BYU loses 1 game or 5 games. With senior leadership at QB, at running back and on the defensive line I would expect BYU to win all the games except maybe the MSU game.

Will BYU have growing pains with an entirely new coaching staff? Absolutely but if Hill stays healthy, with Brown and Williams in the backfield I would think that BYU can put 30 points on the board in every game except for maybe Mish State. So the real question would be…can the teams we play put 30 on us? UCLA can if their QB gets going but I don’t see many others out there able to do it…

…The real question here is the Intangibles such as our field goal kicking game. turnovers and the big one…will BYU be able to stay healthy playing week after week against some of the best football teams in the country. If Hill and Williams stay healthy on offense and if our run stoppers on defense, (Tuiloma, Tuala, Laiataua Mo 'Umga) don’t get hurt, BYU could be in for a special season.

Love the blue goggles.

fish,

I like your post and I agree with it in almost every aspect.

I see a win vs. Arizona, at Glendale, Arizona where we will have as many or more fans than Arizona. Arizona is favored by 1 point, but we will win it. I hav e a seat in section 141 center, five rolls off the field.

I still see us having a huge problem playing Utah in Salt Lake City where the fan base, because of ticket allocation sales, will be on the side of the utes. I have seats 5 rows off the field in the Red end zone.

I see the game in Provo vs. UCLA a very close, down to the minute win for BYU. I see these two teams as being very close year after year after year. I would love to have the country as seeing these two teams as rivals. I have seats in the end zone center, 5 rows off the field.

I really expect to win the game in West Virginia even at their home with the 12th man on the team being on their side.
I am sponsoring a TV Block party to see the game on my 80" TV Home Theater with surround HD sound,.

I think that it is a no brainer that we will win Toledo at PROVO. This will be a game that I watch on TV, and will give my
season tickets to this game to my Provo grandchildren.

The game in Michigan vs. Mich.St. will be much like the game last season vs. Missouri and that may hurt us.
Again, I will sponson another big Block party to watch the game on my TV at home.

The game vs. Mississippi State ,we will go against all odds, and win this game in Provo. Again, I will be center of end zone,
5 rolls off the field.

The game at Boise State, we will win, but it won’t be easy at Boise State. The ticket allocation will award Boise with the
12th man on the team. I will be there 5 rolls off the field in the middle of the uprights.

We will win the game at Cincinnati. Will be tired. The game will not be the blow out that we would like, but we will win.
This is another block party for me to watch the game from home.

The next 3 games will be enjoyed by my Provo grandchildren using my season tickets, while I watch the games at home.
These games were determined as wins on the scheduling board that really does not need to be played on the field. I may or may not watch them.

I live in Riverside County between Los Angeles and San Diego Counties (North/South) and between Orange County and San Bernardino County, East/West) I live in Menifee nest to Murrieta and Temecula. If anyone would like to drop by and say hello at the games, let me know and I will give section, row, and seat numbers.

I predict the season for BYU to be: 10-2 and that, with this schedule, should deserve a confetti parade from Central to the stadium with the whole Provo community walking down University in the middle of the road, which should be closed to all
traffic other than the parade. It will be the beginning of a new successful era where the games are won on the field and not in the scheduling.

Hello P5 conferences, Take Notice.

Harold,

Instead of loving the blue goggles, instead, love the talent on the field along with the 10 coaches that have played for BYU plus the other 2. Love the fact that the guy running our Offense and is also the QB coach, is our Heisman Trophy Winner,
Tye Detmer, and the Receivers coach is one of our best receivers ever at BYU and in the Canadian League, he has his jersey retired and he is a in the hall of fame. Many have had success in the NFL. We have a boat load of talent in both players and coaches and everyone is focused on football with no distractions.

You can wear any color goggles you want. This is the start of a new era for BYU Football. Enjoy it.

I don’t buy into your false dichotomy.
I do love the blue goggles–and this time of year when they are bluer than blue.

I also love the talent on the field–talented teams though sometimes don’t succeed as fans desire.
I also love the fact, and dislike the fact, that so many of the coaches are from the days of BYU footballs greatest successes.
I love the fact that Ty Detmer is running the offense–just wish it had happened sooner and that he had more experience as a div 1 coach.
Love the fact that Calhoun is back coaching–the best, or one of the best not just receivers but coach of receivers BYU has had.
I like what I’ve seen of the new/renewed culture on the football team.

With or without blue goggles it is the start of a new era for BYU football.

Harold,

You say that you have not bought into my false dichotomy. You are correct because it is not false.
You have indeed bought into all the truth that I have expressed, using your own words,

“I also love the talent on the field” (No explanation needed)

"I also love the fact, that so many of the coaches are from the days of BYU footballs greatest successes.
(No need to conmfuse the issue with other comments.)

“I love the fact that Ty Detmer is running the offense–just wish it had happened sooner.” (enough said)

“Love the fact that Calhoun is back coaching–the best, or one of the best not just receivers but coach of receivers BYU has had.”

“I like what I’ve seen of the new/renewed culture on the football team.”

“With or without blue goggles it is the start of a new era for BYU football.”

How can you say that you do not buy into what I say, and than in print, totally agree with what I am saying???

Fish…
I think the big issue for the QB’s is how healthy and experienced will the O-line in front of them be…

I had a eye opener on the rigors of the being an O-lineman under Anae’s GFGH scheme.

As you know my friend’s son is on the line. He has started since his sophomore year. His dad told me that with the GFGH schema it takes a toll on the lineman because they are in the scrum every offensive play (ask anyone who has ever played the line, just how hard it is). I found out that one of the reasons that they O-line was not as good last couple of years was because the majority of the starting lineman were dealing with major health issues, but kept playing, I guess because of pride or maybe not enough available lineman, not sure.

I think with the new scheme Ty is bringing in, we may see a vast improvement in the lineman this year.

1 Like

Very good point about the linemen. Two years ago when we played Wisconsin, everyone kept saying that "whoever won the war in the trenches, the line, would win the game…and they did.

Who is your friend’s son so we can cheer him on?

I like that Karoma comes back and still may not be the starter, tells me a lot about our depth at line.