Twice on the same floor

[quote=“grasshopper, post:20, topic:7718”]
just one thing that we could control, shooting
[/quote] The cougs can’t control their own defense? I am totally flummoxed.

Sometimes the offense is better than the defense. Such was the case with UTA. But, that simply means BYU’s shooting has to be good. Better than 22%. Especially on our own court. Had it been, UTA may still have won. But, BYU would have had a chance.

No. BYU was not even close in this game. They had no chance from about midway through the first half or so. The score, which was a double digit 15 point win for UTA, was closer than the game. UTA was up by 20-25 points most of the game.

Why can’t you acknowledge reality?

Because you won’t. See, the score was 15-15 and we were making shots. Then, we went cold for 6 minutes missing open shot after open shot. Why not accept this reality?

A good team with good players makes those shots, at least enough of them to say close and give themselves a chance to compete, especially on their home floor. BYU is not a good team. There are no good teams that get blown out on their home court.

The excuses for missing open shots and going on long scoring droughts were always related to the high school gyms or some other lame reason. There is no excuse for missing wide open shots for long stretches of time. That is just being a bad team.

There. I accepted the reality and explained it… something you have a hard time doing.

So, that was Alabama’s problem in the first half and down by 10 points to UTA. Alabama was missing easy shots so they aren’t a good team. Your logic is full of holes :slight_smile:

That’s just silly to say good teams don’t have shooting slumps. On half of one game and we aren’t a good team. Just rediculous!

Sadly it has been far more than one half of one game…
Barely beating so so teams and losing most of the game horribly to the one legit team so far on the schedule…does not mean only one half of one game was played badly. it just means that one half of one game was played badly enough for the team to lose.

The team is not beating teams it is beating as soundly as it should. that includes New Mexico, Westminster, Colorado College, Niagara, and Princeton. One whole game that had reasonably expected results…and that against the worst team in Division 1, does not add up to confidence in this team or any team with such poor results.

The offense has had good moments, the defense has too. all of the starters have too. But put the whole performance together and it just has not happened…can it…I used to think so. But two out of Rose’s worst three years have been the last two. This year is looking like it will be three of Rose’s worst four…can it get turned around?
Perhaps. Jay Wright at Villanova certainly started off well like Rose then had some bad years and now is in his best…Rose can turn it around…I believe…this year possibly…next year probably. The year after that will be the year when we see if Rose has the stuff left in him to get the team back to its heights.

So he can turn it around this year. However, in the same post you state we are only a good team. I don’t think you even know what you think. Much like Jim :crazy_face:

you don’t seem to be reading what I wrote and you seem to be attributing things to me I didn’t say…so …

Grasshopper is totally confused now. I see no point in trying to get him back on course. His mind is made up and it can’t be influenced away from the reality (or lack thereof in his case) he wants to see.

I am watching Utah play UNLV right now and either one of these teams would beat BYU badly. I don’t see any way for BYU to compete this year. I am going to say it again, but the LP3 ruined BYU basketball, for the past 3 years and going forward. Honestly, if I was Yoeli Childs I would transfer to Utah. I saw that the Utes are the only team in the pac 12 to have a first round nba draft pick every year in the last 3. I don’t like the Utes, but the coaching staff knows how to develop players. That Kuzma kid is playing pretty well right now.

Having said that, I see that BYU beat a Niagara team that has won only one game so far this year by 7 measly points. Oh, and Dastrup played a total of 4 minutes. Go ahead Rose, ruin the potential on this team so you ensure the 20 victory season and a possible NIT berth. It seems that fans are content with mediocrity.

Sorry, I’m just losing interest in BYU sports… and it isn’t just because they are a losing and underperforming program right now. They are just boring to watch, even when they win.

All BYU has to do with either Utah or UNLV is to shoot 45%. BYU would be living at the free throw line. These guys are playing defense with their hands. Bad…

Jim, you are looking at these games through tainted blue goggles. Relax and enjoy the games.

I am enjoying this game. It is nice to see teams that compete with one another, not a team that rolls over and plays dead on their home floor.

I don’t even know what you are talking about. This is 2017-18 season. Not last year. We didn’t roll over against UTA. We were in good position to shoot the ball. Even in the paint. We simply didn’t make shots. I like our team this year. They are playing as a team. No glory ball.

They stunk it up vs. UTA.

UTA was hotdogging it out on the court with fancy harlem globetrotter stuff because they didn’t respect the Cougars. What game were you watching?

Dastrup is a bench sub, once again missing opportunities to play and help the team when it matters during league play. Same old song and dance…

What are you talking about “glory ball” and “playing like a team”? According to you the last couple years nobody ever did that, so why even bring it up? According to you, BYU has always played team ball…

You are contradicting yourself.

Then you should be pleased about how we are playing team ball. You are contradicting yourself.

I haven’t seen enough to definitively say that the team is playing “team ball”. We will see as the season progresses.

I see Dastrup sitting on the bench. I see Worthington is a team captian. I see Emery has left the team. I see Bryant getting hurt again. I see BYU struggling to beat weak teams and getting beaten badly by good teams. I see Gonzaga and St. Mary’s being light years ahead of BYU but I don’t see BYU doing what they need to improve.

I see BYU finishing third in the wcc if they can hold off USF and some other decent wcc teams.

While I was impressed with Gonzaga, I wasn’t with St. Mary’s. Perhapse a 2nd place is possible this year.
We miss Emery. I wouldn’t start him but definately come off the bench for Bryant and Haws. Brown isn’t ready.
Hardnett played better today. He may be getting more used to D1 ball.
Dastrup is puzzling.

Put your money where your predictions are… BYU will get a beatdown from St. Mary’s at home as well as at their place. They have the same basic team as last season and BYU is worse.

second place might be possible if BYU was in the women’s division of the wcc.

So this was the excuse for the loss to UTA… funny it is the same one for the loss to Alabama. BYU was 4-17 on 3 pointers, that’s like 23%. See, you have excuses built in… get them ready for the next game against a decent team.

St. Mary’s is beatable. They got beat today.