Ty Detmer moved to ALA-Gilbert

that’s some high caliber stuff there.

Bring back Detmer or Beck or someone that knows what a NFL QB should look like.

I don’t know one iota of how high school fb works nowadays. But high schools in AZ are getting former OCs from major college programs. Wow! Even leaving winning the 6A championships.
Are these ALA just football factories that can attract the best talent to then funnel to colleges?
How much $$ can Zak Hlll and Detmer make at that level - got to be a good chunk over 6 figures.
Are other states set up like this for HS football.
So can I assume that Detmer and others at ALA schools (how many are there?) like at the top of the AZ HS football pyramid? My prior impressions these were just small HS programs but seems to be a huge deal in AZ, Or?

Anyway, have Detmer come back with this Zak Hill and take over OC at BYU -
“Hey hey, Ho Ho, that ARod guy has got to go!”

2 Likes

ALA-Queen Creek and ALA-Gilbert have high-end athletics that attract serious athletes looking to play Division 1 sports. I’m at ALA-Ironwood, which has been the red-headed stepchild in athletics, but we’re having our best year in sports so far this year. We did make it to the Final Four in 3A basketball last year (losing by a buzzer beater. We had the lead with 10 seconds left). We made it to our first 3A football playoff game ever this year, thanks to a new head coach who previously coached college football in Texas. He has instilled and brought culture changes that will bear fruit for years to come. In baseball (which I coach), we have high prospects this year with a mostly senior varsity team.

ALA has new high schools in Buckeye (West Phoenix), Mesa, and Florence/Anthem. These programs are being built as enrollment is new, but the article also mentioned that the new Mesa high school lured away Mountain View’s coach.

I don’t think coaches make astronomical money, even at the elite levels. I think it has more to do with the environment and networking. Even lowly Ironwood had one of the Osmonds as our fine arts director when I came here four years ago, and ownership seems to know and be able to get things out of all kinds of people (mostly LDS-networked).

For Ty Detmer, his initial hiring was off the heels of his BYU firing, and I think he’s been grateful to have the job in a good environment. When they asked him to move over to help with the PR situation, he was happy to help, and they reloaded at the other coaching positions.

1 Like

High school coaches can make a lot of money in other ways. Jim and I have seen it done around our county with some of the private schools. At the school I taught and coached, the football coach took over fund raising for the school and athletics. That was back in the 80’s and 90’s. We were being paid around $30k and the coach was raking in $100,000k. His wife worked there too. Big C. as he was called at Santa Clara supported Rolex watches and lots of extra perks. I’m sure for some public schools it happens as well to lay them well.

There are upset people in Mesa, too, with Mountain View’s football coach moving over to the new ALA-Mesa. But, Mesa Public Schools has been circling the drain (academically, athletically, and culturally) for years now, so it’s not surprising anyone would move over to a better situation.

There is a sense that American Leadership Academy are robber barons poaching coaches and players. My response to that: compete. In an open enrollment state, you have to provide reasons for people to go to your school. This has intensified as people try to escape the wokeness of most public school systems.

I went to Pima Elementary School in the 2nd grade. Then moved to California. That was in 1960-61.

Rubicon
Meant to thank you awhile ago for all your insight on ALA in AZ. Very informative. All knew to me.

1 Like

New to me.
BTW, from what you said does that mean Detmer is extremely well known in AZ HS football circles, like upper echelon?

Ironically I was just having a discussion with someone who knows things and let’s just say fish knows what he is talking about and, once again, the Hopper is misinformed and making statements about something he has no knowledge of. There is a reason the current football administration scapegoated a couple more coaches this past season. That is what they are good at currently. My comment several weeks ago about scholarships… the one that Floyd got so upset about rings true to some degree. I just threw it out there to stir the pot but there is a lot of truth to it.

Sorry Hopper, you don’t have any information so your comments are sort of irrelevant other than being a misinformed opinion.

Not so fast Hopper. You don’t have enough information to be making a statement like this. What you have done is basically express a very uninformed opinion.

Also, the current coaching staff has become adept at playing down to the comeptition and blowing very winnable games with nonsensical play calling and a bizarre game plan that simply doesn’t work. BYU had no business not being bowl eligible last season. How did the staff respond? by firing two very good coaches and yes, scapegoating them in the process.

I don’t see things improving next season unless the proper changes are made. It’s a sinking ship.

This thread is about Detmer. Show us anything that I said wasn’t true…

Not the reason he was let go. There is a reason Detmer spent so much time with so many teams in the NFL and didn’t play much. He understands the game. He would have been a big help to Sitake if not for philosophical differences and disagreements on a variety of things, least of which was probably the way the offense was going to be run. Do you think A-Rod knows more than Detmer?

Like I said, the current staff has become very adept at scapegoating’

You don’t remember the offense when Detmer coached. It was so predictable and so simplistic that a high school team would have made a game of it.

Detmer was trying to run a spread offense, the same offense many NFL teams run.

The conflict came in because Sitake is a Whittingham disciple and wanted to run more than pass. Detmer resisted, thus the scapegoating.

one other thing about Detmer, he was Tom Holmoe pick, not Sitake’s.

My comments was about disrespecting a polynesian player who happens to be good. That some how he did not earn a spot on the team solely because of his race.

For the record, During the glory years, Edwards and Company had a polynesian pipeline that gave us some great players.

Sitake is trying to get that pipeline going again.

Laughable.

You don’t remember the offense when Detmer played. It was revolutionary. Floyd is right, Detmer wanted to run something that was probably too complex for the coach and players.

1 Like

I understand that Floyd and I don’t have a problem with it . I wasn’t disrespecting anyone and like I said, if the team is successful I don’t care what their ethnic background is. I don’t think we have to be too concerned about any pipelines… those are flowing just fine. However, to suggest that is what is going on is kind of racist in a way, isn’t it? That a pipeline is necessary or the goal should not be a thing. I’m not accusing you of anything, just the way it sounds.

If a program is too focused on players based on their ethnic background that can be problematic.I’m just saying don’t worry about it, just recruit the players based on how well they can contribute to the team and don’t scapegoat good coaches who can bring success to a team just because they are successful or don’t agree with everything the coach thinks or says.

BYU scapegoated and got rid of the wrong coaches this past off season. I don’t see how that will translate to success going forward. The DC is a very good coach but he needs an OC who matches that, not one he has to struggle against. The TE coach was also very good but it is not his fault the OC didn’t utilize some very good TE’s and then scapegoated him for it. There were too many obviouisly bad calls on offense, that contributed to some very poor losses. Who’s that on? Get my drift?

1 Like

If we win, it will be because of the Defense. That is for sure.

I agree that the coaches were scapegoated (especially Clark). How in the heck can someone say Clark caused the issues with the Offense when the Tight Ends were never utilized for the past 5 years?

Clark didn’t run the plays… ARod did!

ARod is quickly becoming Tuaiki on the Offensive side of the ball, no imagination, not solid game plan or adjustments. how he kept his job is beyond me. Hopefully he is gone after this year.

2 Likes

He is greatly respected (and feared). Zak Hill (ASU and BSU offensive coordinator; 6A state championship in his only season at Saguaro) joining him is going to be devastating. ALA-Gilbert already had a couple of state championships under the old coach, but they are going to get them to the upper divisions. Hopefully, ALA-Queen Creek can continue their high level of play under Rich Edwards and Max Hall. Any who transfer have to sit out the first half of the season, or there would be a real threat of mass transfers.

As it is, it is a real recruiting draw to play for Detmer/Hill if you are an athlete who can and wants to play in a passing offense at Division 1 (ditto for linemen).

Thanks for the info - very interesting system.