What the BYU 2024 signing class says to me

Tei, with the McKenzie brothers, and others you mentioned in another post.

BYU will have plenty of speed, now we just need a QB to get the ball to these speedsters

What is your view of Jack Kelly (sounds like an old Newies movie)? I heard he was pretty good, I thought we had two coming over from Weber, but only one sent in their letter so far.

I also think Adney Reid is a ā€œBIG GETā€ as well. His cousins are the Reid and Fano brothers on the Utah team. He is the son of former player Gabe Reid.

I am willing to give the kid a chance to prove himself both on and off the field.

Like I posted before, I grew up in that area, know several families affected by it, and that ā€œincidentā€ split the community. That is where I will leave it.

This is how BYU recruits:
BYU football: Cougars relied on ā€˜uniqueā€™ recruiting methods this cycle - Deseret News

What do you think of the QBā€™s we got:
Carson Suā€™esuā€™e?
Noah Lugo?
Enoch Watson?

You tell me? You are the one saying he did not.

Each person is responsible for their own sins and false judgments. That includes that community. And, you havenā€™t said you will wait and see. Your comments are clearly that you have judged him and continue to. See, weā€™ve already figured out that heā€™s gone through the repentance process or he would not be offered the opportunity to come to BYU.

I need to ask around inside the program and ask if Ryder Burton is ever the answer. I donā€™t know anything about him. I cringed every time Retzlaff dropped back to pass, and was totally UNDERwhelmed by his supposed running abilityā€¦

I like how you stayed out of it. :wink: And, you did a fantastic job explaining the concept of forgiveness and our job to assist those who are spiritually sick to get well.

Sueā€™sue: mission first kid, so we will have to see. Hill wants him on D but the kid is wildly athletic and looked like a big-time QB in HS.
Lugo: Google his Hudl film. He played BIG TIME Texas 5A football (same level as LJ Martin). On most of his highlights heā€™s the fastest guy on the fieldā€“this means heā€™s running AWAY FROM DBs who have D1 scholarships. He has a bit of a long windup on his throwing motion but throws a beautiful mid to deep ball and is very accurate off platform for a HS kid. I think he could be a real player for us.
Enoch Watson: havenā€™t seen as much of him. Mission first kid I think.

I was high on our JC QB of the year until we saw him struggle to hit even open guys. Someone not on here compared him to the Noddle arm Reilly, pretty good assessment.

Wonā€™t be commenting on any of these guys til I see them. Got burned on Retzlaff. I defer to Tom

Wrote what I did before I read your post. Hmmm Creepy how mimic youā€¦Iā€™d block me

I found this article about Dallin Johnson.

His grandfather Brent Johnson was a kicker for BYU around 1978-1980 timeframe.

This article brings out for me is that sometimes, things are more important than sports.

Dallin father is dealing with a serious life-threatening illness (MS) and Dallin wanted to make sure that his dad could still be able to watch his games. He turned down Utah, Notre Dame, and other colleges to accomplish his desires.

What a great example for putting ā€œFamily Firstā€.

For BYU-bound Dallin Johnson and family, football has been more than a game | KSL.com

1 Like

Floyd, thanks for the articleā€“sometimes we donā€™t put enough attention on recruits who donā€™t have a lot of offers, because sometimes itā€™s for Dallinā€™s reasonā€“since his freshman year he committed to BYU and never waivered, so other schools didnā€™t spend scare resources on trying to convince him. Being a US Army All American means he would have had probably 20 D1 offers had he entertained them.

The story of Dallin being ā€œdraftedā€ as center reminds me of a really fun coaching memory of mine: For those who donā€™t know, our school district offers football starting in middle school (as opposed to the traditional 9th grade start for school ball). I was the head coach at the middle school varsity team for many years (I have never worked for the school district other than as a paid coach). One year had a team that was LOADED. I mean LOADED, with multiple future D1 full ride scholarship recipients, and several other outstanding HS players. Anyway, during summer practice a kid came to talk to me. Decent sized kid and pretty athletic but shy and timid, and he had never played football. He said, ā€œCoach, what can I do to get playing time?ā€ I said, "Son, you work hard every day and I promise you will play. But if you can find one thingā€“just oneā€“you can do better than anyone else I promise you will START. He could hardly believe it. He says, ā€œCan I play center?ā€ I asked him if he could snap a football and he said no (we went exclusively out of the gun). I asked if anyone in his family could practice with him at home; he said ā€œI donā€™t have a dad at home but maybe my mom can help me.ā€ So I gave him a good glove for a center and a football, had my OL coach spend 10 minutes on a short tutorial, and told him to go work on it after practice. He came back the next day snapping the ball perfectly. The OL coach said, ā€œHow did you learn to do that?ā€, and he said ā€œWell, you told me what do do at practice and I told my mom I needed to practice. I snapped the ball to her for over an hour straight, around 500 snaps, and I think Iā€™m getting the hang of it.ā€ He wound up being our starting center and played every offensive snap of the season and did not have a single bad snap all year. He earned his teammatesā€™ respect and was a big part of our success. His mom later told me that he insisted she go in the yard and help him and for the entire season he did a minimum of 100 snaps a day to her. That boy never played football again after that season (future valedictorian BTW) but to this day is proud of how he beat out kids who were bigger and stronger just because he worked harder and perfected his technique.

1 Like

PS Some of you may know of Darius Afalava, an OT at Skyridge with about 20 P4 offers. I also coached Darius. Darius never played before he played for me but his folks wanted him in my program.
Iā€™ve always stayed in touch with his folks since they moved first back to Hawaii then to Utah. Darius is an awesome kid from an awesome family. His dad had a good NFL career and his mom was a surefire D1 athlete in multiple sports before a knee injury ended it for her. They know Iā€™m rooting for him to go to BYU and Iā€™ve talked to BYU about him as well but heā€™s still just a junior and has time on his side to decide.

Brent ā€œIndiana chokeā€ Johnson. 36 yard field goal to beat Indiana in the Holiday Bowl. Watching with my father and he missed it at the gun. Ugggā€¦Embarrassing. BYU a top 10 team and lost to Indiana. :grin:

ben bywater coming back.

It is not lost on me that BYU has excelled when we have a veteran QB, who has been with the team a min. of 2 years. I donā€™t like the revolving door QB approach any more then Popeā€™s revolving point guard door before he was stuck with Hall (a good thing)

Donā€™t you need a coach who knows how to develop QBā€™s first?

just saying :relieved:

Send them all to John Beck, ya think?

And subtract the expense from A rods salary. :wink: