Who will be the starters?

Harding will start. Barcello May come off the bench. George won’t redshirt. He may be the best at 3. Harding at 2. Haarms at 4 with Lee at 5. Depends how good Harward really is.
Lohner May be too good to not start. The competition will be great!
The other thing is how well do they play together as well. That will make a huge difference.

Whoa, had not thought of that. But to clear things up. Harward is a athletic beast who gave Childs all he could handle in practice. If Haarms is the spread forward then Harward will get starter minutes at Center (whether he starts or not) Lee is a steady stat player who will get plenty of time even if he is limited physically just because he is such a smart player.
Harding, Barcellos and Averette would round out the starting 5.

Here is the deal…Most rotations are 7 or 8 men with a few guys getting minutes when injuries or foul trouble hits. This BYU roster is at least 10 guys that would of started for Pope last year. So you tell me who gets pine time? If Haarms plays the 4, he competes for Baxter and Lowell time.
Just thinking out loud here.

Personally, I suspect that the reporter heard stuff from Pope that he didn’t fully understand.

Haarms at 4 on offense and 5 on defence makes sense.
Lee at 5 on offense makes sense but then who at 4 on defence? I think it was Pope said the number 1 thing he’s had Lee working on was covering more space.

That doesn’t answer Harward, Baxter, Lohner, Townsend…

Burgess has more than once stated that he thinks with the talent they have in the front court he expects them to be the best front court in the nation… They certainly seem to have plenty of bodies with fouls to give up against any team they will likely see in conference or dancing…how well they come together and how soon they come together will determine the pre-conference. Well that and Covid.

I think you are right in your last paragraph. Deep is needed this year more than any other year. You keep leaving out George. Watch out!

with Lowell out for the season, the starting five should look more like:
Averette
Barcellos
Harding
Baxter
Harrms

https://www.si.com/college/byu/news/jon-rothstein-ranks-byu-basketball-second-in-wcc-heading-into-the-season

SI has it this way:
A
B
H
Lohner
Harrms

I just don’t see starting a true freshman over a Junior, and for several reasons. Baxter knows the offense whereas Caleb is new to the program. Lohner is also miles from being a great defender (I whatched several of his games) Don’t get me wrong, Lohner is a freak offensive talent, he has a true stroke from 3. If he does start, it will be after an injury or because he earned it after 20 or so games.

I also feel that George will have a say in playing minutes.

last season BYU had 3 guys that could put up 20 pts per game without a sweat. TJ, Childs and Toolson.

Looking at the lineup this year we have 2 proven scorers in Barcellos and Harding so where do all of our points come from?
Harrms should get 10-12 a game
Baxter, maybe 8 per game
Lee, maybe 8 per game
Averette gets 10 per game
Barcellos, 14 per game
Harding, ups to 16 per game and he is the high scorer, then BYU is in trouble against great teams

As you can see, BYU needs several guys to step up in a big way

Now this is the kind of stuff I want to hear, thank you fish! Very uplifting stuff that I have been waiting for. And I agree
Lowell might be available (healed) if this season start later on