Why would a good QB come to BYU?

When ARod does the same thing year in and year out by using the portal to get a starting QB.

BYU football: How Aaron Roderick describes QB situation heading into spring practices – Deseret News

Starting competition is between Ratzlaff and Bohanon. NOT ONE WORD about Ryder Burton or the other QB who Arod recruited.,

I think it was Jim or Fish that stated ARod does not appear to know how to develop QB’s, instead he opts for the portal QB’s.

I don’t know much about the other QB’s, but I watch Ryder Burton in High School, this kid has what it takes to make in college as long as he has a QB coach that knows what to do. ARod is not that guy in my opinion.

BTW, Spring ball starts Thursday.

very good point. and I would watch to see where any of our HS QBs land on the roster. If they keep getting pushed back by Tranfer QBs. why would you want to come play for ARod?

1 Like

That problem will likely be resolved by middle of next December. - unless they want to go play for him in Ephriam

1 Like

I reread the article, Ryder Burton is mentioned several times. At this point, i will give AROD the benefit of the doubt (that he knows his QBs but i stand by what I said. Finnegan is now 3 years into BYU so I see the dilemma.

He was caught off by surprise at Robbins leaving and while I am big big on Maritn and have always loved Ropati, We do need more RB beef in the Big 12.

Not a fan of the RentAQB so we will see

He mentions getting reps for them, not that they are in the group to earn to be the starter.

That is what I meant by my comment.

1 Like

I’ve posted before and will say it again: ARod has been at BYU 7 years. He has not recruited a single HS QB who has had meaningful PT at BYU, much less been a star (Zach Wilson and Jaren Hall both signed before ARod was hired). 7 years. Why would ANY top HS QB want to play for him?

Because they still believe in the legacy of the BYU QB and are hopeful that they can follow in the footsteps of the Heisman winner, Superbowl winners, NFL MVP’s etc. that have all come out of BYU.

That is the only thing I can think of. Based on some of the most ridiculous play calling I have ever witnessed by an OC, that has to be the reason.

1 Like

Oh, I guess I just said the same before reading your post.

ARod really sold us HARD on Retzlaff, his big-time dual threat QB. Well, as a supposed “dual threat” QB he went 0-4 as a starter and he neither “threatened” with his arm nor with his legs. He got to 200 yards passing ONCE and needed 42 attempts to do it, in a blowout against prevent D and backups. On the ground he averaged 2.3 ypc. So there’s that. Ok, our O Line did royally suck, so I’ll withhold judgment for now, but…

I predict Bohannon is the starter anyway. Like it will matter much. We forget how truly terrible Sitake’s team was this last year: we lost EVERY conference road game and our only two wins were against awful Cincy and barely average Texas Tech.

Because he can sell.
He sold kalami and Holmoe at the end of last year when anywhere else he would have been fired. Bottom five in offensive categories is the evidence. And the bonehead call - we all know which one.
Look, I want him to succeed and be the best OC we could possibly have.
BUT!!!
Statistical probability is about 5% of that happening - given past performances at byu and Utah. And 5% is optimistic

1 Like

Sorry, just saw your post
We’re on the same wavelength as to what skill he excels at

I predict a turnaround this year. We will go 9-3 or better in league. The offense will be 100% better.

That would be great! And beat the pukes

After the 1st day’s practice, Sitake said that it is down to a two way house race for QB.
Now here’s a little nugget
BYU Quarterback Jake Retzlaff Trained with John Beck During the Offseason (msn.com)

Pope was ready for the B12. Sitake not so much. But hope springs eternal.

1 Like

tlarimer- I agree with you. I underestimated Pope on this years team. I give him a lot of credit. He seemed to come on like gangbusters his first 2 years and saved the program from free fall and then the transfer portal hit …… he went to that well too much but he seems to have steadied the ship and this brand of bb will draw better athletes and shooters to BYU. No question that Pope is sailing in the right direction.

On the other side of the barn we have ARod mucking out the horse stalls full of eaters but not performers on offense. I don’t want to root against BYU fb but it might take a few embarrassing offensive performances to get ARod fired. It is a matter of time…… and the bad scheduling may be a blessing in disguise to get him out of the barn so we can burn it down and rebuild!

now we have to address to 2 big concerns in the post season
NIL
Getting Pope/coaches paid so they stay

Haha good luck.

I talked with a friend about this very thing the past week. His kid played baseball at UCSB and the head coach there was offered to be the coach at BYU but declined when they told him they couldn’t pay him much but he would be a great ambassador for the church. He has had higher offers to go elsewhere, while at UCSB, but chose to stay for various reasons. The guy has been a very successful coach, particularly when it comes to developing pitchers.

We have had a lot of “great ambassadors” for the church (who weren’t paid much) in the past, but those days are gone. We have the alumni and resources to pay our coaches to be great ambassadors and great mentors like in the past, BYU just has to do it. We don’t have to have the highest paid coaches out there but we don’t have to have the lowest paid ones either. There are lots of less successful programs who pay thier coaches a lot more money than BYU does.

We can find a balance that works.

1 Like