A Trial Period of Change, For Success

Because Detmer offense during the year was getting worse each game, not better. Grimes offense, while stagnic at times, showed more improvement as they year went on.

That is pretty much “Why” in my opinion.

Am I sure what? That French had the language that would make a sailor blush? Yes, Bart Oates tells of some legendary chewing out, that was anything but standards of BYU.

Think again dude…

Jim McMahon could not meet the academic standards of BYU today, he enrolled around 38 years ago, so i think I proved my point.

How you come up with comment is beyond me.

No, are you sure he wasn’t a member?

I knew this would be difficult for some to follow. Today, a 4.0 is probably a 3.0 40 years ago. So, raising entrance requirements restores the capabilities of those 40 years ago.

Yes, I am he was another religion

Jim McMahon was Catholic, like his Dad. He wanted to go to Notre Dame. BYU offered him a schollie.His Mom was LDS.

Roger French was Lutheran… When he coached at BYU, he lived in his Pastor’s basement during the season.

He could have been a sailor as well, since his language during the games resembled that of a Sailor.

Sounds like he was a dry water basement living Mormon :hugs:

Grimes came because BYU offered him the OC position. It is the next step to HC. Grimes will be at BYU until we have an outstanding year and he gets a HC job.

If you followed the Thread, he said Kakani would recruit Grimes to come here as a Line coach.

Floyd,

You amaze me, (in a positive way), with all of the accurate detailed trivia that you have that
become pertinent to the conversation at hand.

I did not know that Grimes was not LDS. Thank you for this information.

In regards to your statement, “Follow the Thread”, what I actually said was this:

I wish we could have hired Grimes to come, and pay the amount required, to have Grimes be our Line Coach.
I do realize that we being BYU, (Independant) and he coming from the SEC, we would have to pay him much more than he is getting as a line coach for the prestigious SEC. It is still my opinion that it is the lineman, Offence and Defense that wins or loses games. Yes a great QB, WR, TE, and RB could even be greater, with the outstanding line.

I was in hopes, that we would get a different coach, equally qualified for the position, as Grimes was for the line position, to come and be our OC.

Yes, I realize that this would cost what we would consider a fortune. Money makes money. It takes money to make money. We need to invest and reach our goals instead of dreaming of goals that will never materialize without spending the money. The $80,000 per year for a quality coach is over. (Edwards) We must realize this.

Awe !!! Texcoug.

I JUST LEARNED A TON FROM YOU.

I knew that Jim considered himself a Catholic and wanted, but was rejected from the opportunity to play for Notre Dame.
What I did not know, but what I just learned from you, is that McMann’s mother was LDS. What a surprise to me.

Jim McMahon was from Roy Utah. No, I didn’t know about his parents - Dad as Catholic and Mom as LDS.

dew, thanks for the additional information. I had no idea that Jim was from Utah.
With the new information, (new to me), regarding Jim’s mom being LDS and the family
lived in Utah, I have new faith that just perhaps, one can teach an old dog new tricks.
Happy Holidays.

Ron

If old dogs can learn new tricks then I have faith Jim Hawks can learn too

Funny Grasshopper. I did not know that Jim Hawks was old. Happy holidays to you, to Jim, and to the rest of those on this site.

Ron

I’m old too and broken :wink:
2019 should be better for football but basketball 2019-2020 we shall see.

He’s really old :slight_smile: Happy new year!

grasshopper,

Is old, in your opinion, anyone over the age of 30?
Back in the 1060’s, the youth warned us that nobody over the age of 30 could be trusted.

ron