At Oregon, thoughts

BYU will win 45-15. The Cougars will score one more point against Oregon than Georgia did the opening game.

It is so early in the season I won’t make a prediction on this game or the season. It takes about 4-5 games to really know how good everybody is. I am cautiously optimistic about the season but not getting my hopes up too much. We have seen BYU get big wins early in the season only to lose games they shouldn’t lose.

This BYU defense is classic Tui. They are giving cushion to the Oregon receivers that allows them to get into the end zone without any contact. Crazy bad defensive plan. Get up on the receivers with our vaunted DB’s!

Yep! And what’s with our great OL with the run?

Classic BYU. Get talked up in press. Think they’re great. Out to the woodshed we go!

Couldn’t stop the run, ballgame

Classic tui

Correct-o mund-o! BYU lack of speed shows again. Not up to the best teams yet. Getting there slowly (sorta a pun there). Maybe in 5 years -
Offense is pretty good! Jared Hall getting a lot of pub. And well deserved.

Problems with the Running game showed up again. Yes, defense was bad in the first half. But, our offense should have been able to score more as well. The line pass blocks well but does a crappy job opening holes. Well, on to basketball :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Agree. But not yet to basketball. I am excited about and really want to see them beat ND, Arkansas and definitely Boise State.
A 2 loss season would be a great way to go into the Big 12. In a way too early prediction - I think we can finish in the bottom of the top 3rd in conference next year.

3 games and our running can’t move the ball. I want to see McChesney playing. Brooks is a bust. Katoa isn’t much better. Alabama wanted McChesney. Why isn’t he getting a shot now? If Coach Sitaki is reading our comments, think about it…

Several posters here who should know better are the textbook “definition of insanity.”

Anyone who’s been a BYU fan for decades should not have “had a good feeling” about this Oregon game. We’ve seen this again and again over the decades, and have no reason to think Sitake and Tuiaki would break their track records and patterns. Sometimes, there is a surprising and refreshing exception to this, like the Baylor game, but that doesn’t mean that the mold is broken. Lucy will pull the football away more times just this season alone.

I think we’ll play really well against either Notre Dame or Arkansas, but not both.

I have said this before, as long as Kalani has a soft and blind spot for Tuaki, nothing will change and BYU will stay “middle of the pack” in the Big12.

Pattern:
BYU comes out gang buster for a big name team (Utah, Baylor) then has to play a team that throws and all aggressiveness disappears and the “Prevent” defense comes out because Tuaki does not have faith his CB’s has the ability to defend the deep pass.

What is their excuse this time? Injury? Two players (Batty, Mariner) on the defensive front line was hurt.

The problem is not the talent of our players, it is Tuaki is over his head on being a DC and play calling. This is why no one should be able to hire their cousins to fill the role of DC/OC or whatever…

Rubicon, I knew what was coming, I commented before the game that BYU could not defend the pass and was told “they looked good against Baylor”… I did not even take the time to watch the game, I went fishing with my youngest son instead,

But, we did look good against Baylor. We were aggressive putting pressure on the QB and on the WR.

Thus my comment about the pattern…
Started the same way last with Utah

Hence my comments about who would win the Baylor/BYU game. If we score first and keep the opponent off the scoreboard on their first drive it shows me that the coaching has dialed in a game plan that has a good chance of winning. This Oregon game was all about defense and how we manned up on their receivers. Good teams like Oregon can ball control you right out of the game. Tui is the perfect coach to go against for a team that can keep the ball for 40 min a game. He simply isnt capable of bringing pressure or common sense schemes without Sitake telling him or doing it for him. We need a new DC to be a legit top 20 team year after year. Our DB’s are physical enough this year to play man and stay with good receivers. The key is to limit the amount of time a QB has to check down. We can do it if we have Sitake at the helm but he is continually trying to teach Tui how to be a coordinator. Grimes was good. Tui isn’t. Tui won’t be lured away by any D-1 program to give him a shot because he isn’t good. We will probably be 8-4 or 9-3 this year which isn’t bad but we could have been a 1 loss or 2 loss team with those losses being nail-biters. We tend to get so sideways in our schemes on defense that we make teams look way better than we are like this Oregon game did. Oregon is about the same quality of team as BYU. The exception is that they have a better DC and a head coach who holds his players and coaches accountable until the very last second of the game.

We aren’t taking about Baylor Hopper. We are talking about the BYU defensive system and the results of the Oregon game, USF game last year and CC and on and on …. Whenever Tui is allowed free rein to do his 3 drop 8 baloney. Don’t the other BYU coaches on the staff ask “why isn’t anyone else in the top 25 doing this scheme?” …. Other than the local press in the DN and the occasional BYU broadcaster chanting the Co line no one with any football knowledge can point to the revelation thatTui has had about rush 3 and drop 8 into a zone being a workable solution to a good offense with pretty quick receivers. Zero! None!

My point was that we did not rush 3 and drop 8 against Baylor and pressured the QB and plugged the holes. So, why did we change against Oregon?

Because Baylor does not throw the ball like Oregon. It is that simple.

Tuaki is so afraid of the deep ball, that he uses his drop 8 defense (bend but don’t break) scheme to prevent.

Apparently what he does not realize is that by doing that, it leave our offense off the field for large chunks of time and therefore we can’t score.

The second point also simple: Kalani wanted to send the message to the BIG 12 that they are ready, so he made sure the defense was aggressive and adaptable. I am pretty sure he was doing the play calling for that game.

Tuaki is way over his head, he does not have what it takes to be a great DC, mediocre would be overstating his qualifications. But non of that matter as long as Kalani loves his cousin, he will not get rid of him until the AD forces him too.

I watched the game today and I saw confusion and some slow reactions with DBs. With that said, Hall is right that the offense has to do a lot more and take pressure off the defense and keep the defense off the field. I saw some bad play calling. If there was a game to lose this was it. We now have to get back to playing the way we can. Wyoming is no slouch! They can stop the run as well as Air Force found out.
On offense, I want to see McChesney play. I’ve seen enough of Brooks and Katoa. Give him a chance. I want to see Hall run a bit more.

It is kind of hard to get on the field, if your defense is allowing the opponent offense to stay on the field because of the drop 8 bend but don’t break defense.