Big 12 invite is imminent

I was surprised that “All” sports were moving as well. Baseball, Track and field, etc. tends to be done on Sunday’s in the Big 12.

BYU no Sunday rules. I was thinking the same thing yesterday about the Olympic sports (baseball track and field etc.).

BYU’s influence on the Big 12 will soon be felt.

I know. I posted this several days ago. But, we are only one school and I’m sure they can make the adjustments. I think in their position they will have to. They need us more than the other schools.

My information–which I think is rock solid–is that the Big12 is fully cooperative with BYU in honoring our no Sunday play position–in all sports. It is part of the deal and Holmoe had significant leverage this time around.

1 Like

I know this is the football board, but indulge me for a moment: In basketball, since 2014 KenPom has ranked the Big12 #1 six times and #2 twice. Best conference in the country. Losing UT and OU is a lesser blow in hoops than in football, but I agree with those who have said that adding BYU, Cincy, and Houston in hoops is at least neutral and perhaps an upgrade overall in hoops.

Most significantly we now have a more realistic chance to keep Coach Pope for another 15 or 20 years so he can build a dynasty and maybe even win an NCAA title for BYU.

Hard to even comprehend what the B12 loses in football without UT and OU, and it will be on these 4 new programs to step up and compete at a higher level week in and out. BYU has shown us the last several years that we can be real good and real bad, beating top teams then losing to crappy teams, and never beating our arch rival–choking away some of those games in ways that are barely imaginable. Sitake better ramp it up the recruiting or it could get bloody.

Bowlsby has a lot of power, and it’s a REALLY REALLY good look for him to grab arguably 4 of the top 5 or 6 non P5 programs so quickly. I’m very confident from what I hear that Big12 retains P5 status.

But can’t we just forget about football (we may want to after the game tomorrow anyway) and think about what this means for BYU basketball? Salivating…

Sorry man, can’t forget about football. It drives every other sport on campus. And, it’s an awesome game as well :sunglasses:

I’m also a bigger basketball fan than football fan. Some of the best moments of my college life were spent with 20,000 other people in the Marriott Center cheering very raucously for Ainge, Runia, Taylor, Durrant, Roberts, Kite, Craig, and Trumbo. That said, I also enjoyed cheering at Cougar Stadium for the football teams led by Nielsen, Wilson, McMahon, Young, and Bosco. What a time for sports at BYU, and the exclamation point came in a packed, loud Marriott Center.

Boise, don’t get me wrong. I coached football for nearly 20 years and get to watch some of my former players in D1 on Saturdays (Montana over UDub last week was a huge thrill for me watching one of my former kids start as a freshman for Montana). And I love BYU football. But I’m also realistic. We don’t have the athleticism top to bottom (full 2 deep depth chart) to beat good teams all season. We just don’t. LaVell made up for it with an incredible scheme, a bunch of NFL QBs, and genius coaching. Bronco made up for it by recruiting defense, defense and more defense (lots of his former defensive players have been or are on nfl rosters). I like Kalani but it’s been 5 years and he hasn’t had a great season beating good teams. His recruiting seems to be excellent. His personality is excellent. Long term I think he could be great. We will see. But I have very limited faith in Kalani’s full devotion to his cuz running the defense. Average QBs routinely make us look bad and a good QB makes us look flat out stupid.

Utah 31-21 with Brewer throwing for 350+ and dominating TOP against a soft zone.

BYU 38 Utard 24

I think Utah will win, but I can’t pick against the Cougars.

BYU 31
Utah 20

i think initially you are right Tom, but I thinkin a few years we will be.

my prediction is based on which BYU defense shows up…

last week defense, Utah wins
good defense BYU WIN!

What this means is the Marriott will be a hot ticket…Sell outs.

So glad we were both wrong… I had Utah controlling the game from start to finish…They forgot to talk to Hall, Tuiaki and our Oline about it…We pushed Utah around all night. Hall might just of gotten his name talked about as the next BYU QB to get drafted…Sizzling fast.

My close friend very high up in the program has been telling me for 2 years that Hall was “the guy” and that he had “mini Taysom Hill” athleticism to go with A+ character and leadership. Right after the bowl game he was saying that the media would make a big deal of a “QB battle” and the coaches would be coy, but that Jaren was The Man if his hip was completely healed (which it was not at the time).

I can’t recall when it was in the game, but Hall had a pass vs Utah where he had time to throw and threw a deep angled crossing route (I think to Pauu) and missed badly by like 5 yards. That’s a throw that Wilson makes 99% of the time, and it showed me that there is a lot of room for improvement for Jaren. That said, the raw talent is undeniable. On the 66 yard run called back, when he turned the corner he hit ANOTHER gear and blew past a guy who thought he had an easy angle like the guy wasn’t even there. As he becomes more confident and as our WRs get more in sync with him, he could be The Real Deal.

If he leads us to a win over three straight Pac12 teams and to back-to-back upsets over ranked teams, look out for the hype machine :slight_smile:

ASU will be more difficult to hold down their offense. We may have to hope our offense will click better and outscore ASU.
I’ll be late to the game as Saturday is my 50th high school reunion night.

Thanks for letting us all know, we were very concerned! :joy:

My concern is that if a game depends on him throwing a lot downfield (if we’re playing from behind, for example, and they’ve bottled up our running game), he is not the man. He is indeed like Taysom Hill in that regard. A tremendous scrambling quarterback, but teams can plan for and take that away, and make him beat them with his arm.

That’s what I would do: dare him to throw downfield on you by taking away the run and scrambling options.

Not concerned about that. Give us the long passes. I’d like to see that…

I think part of the issue with his down field throwing is the timing with his receivers, hopefully he can work on that this week.

What happened to our vaunted Tight Ends? very little use in the first two games.