BYU D was porous again

My IQ is 176. We understand what others can’t :sweat_smile:

The snaps and the holds are just fine for the short kicks. And, I did say for Grimes to come out of his perch and get on the field. And it worked!

gh: Give us a break. Oldroyd is a good kicker.

Right on Floyd. GH needs to look into all of the aspects of the FG kicking game. \

4 missed field goals within 39 yards that cost us the game against Toledo and USF. Had we not made the 1st down on 4th, Boise would have at the least tied the game in which we could have lost in overtime.
But, blame the coaches.

The snaps were good and the ball was squarely down. On a 31 yard attempt, the laces were the wrong way. But, even then, 31 yards shouldn’t be missed because of that reason. Sorry, he hooks and shanks field goals. Those aren’t just misses.
Some have the feel for the kick and others don’t. He has the leg and when it’s 50 yards he just kicks. Something about the shorter field goals he doesn’t feel. Maybe he can get it back. Until then, we have another kicker or two. Try them.

Ok, I do not understand your defense of Oldroyd. We praise the QB or blame him, according to the results of his actions, but we don’t praise the other backfield players or the O line at the same time. We praise the RB, according to the results of his play, we don’t criticize or praise the other backfield players or O line or the coaches on every play. The same thing for the receivers the TEs or each of the O line. To do so would be cumbersome and awkward to say each of the 11 players on each play. That would get old in a hurry! As for your other criticism of me: I must have missed the goal of this forum. I assumed (incorrectly I suppose) that the goal was to chew the BYU FB “fat,” to be positive or negative according to each person’s belief or perception. If I am required to write positively when I feel negative (or vice versa) this forum is not for me. I don’t write dishonestly. Hope this is not too cryptic.

If I do write cryptically, I guess that is the way it is - it’s not cryptic to me.

When attacked, I have always gone from 0 to 100 in about 2 seconds, verbally or physically. That is my history since childhood. However, I got on this forum to jaw with other BYU fans, not to war with folks. In the last few years, I have been trying to reform myself I did not get on here to be attacked and to attack back. Upon reflection this forum is not for me. Peace, I’m out.

You really do not understand the kicking game do you Scott… Kicking FG is a timing issue, if anything at all interferes with the timing, that will limit the success of the kick.

Second, we have three kickers on the team, if the coaching staff feels Oldroyd is not doing his job, they could of switched kickers. they didn’t so something else must be going on.

Lastly, Did you see Kalani laying into the long snapper during the game? I did…

Arkie,
Because I have been officiating football for several decades, I have slowly come to the conclusion that it is just not one person fault.

If the kicker misses a field goal, was it because he kicked it wrong, or did the long snapper or holder do something to throw off the timing of the kick. I remember Edwards talking about that during a post game interview, where he basically said it was a three man job to kick FG’s.

I can also say for a certainty that when the offense is sputtering, I do not always blame the QB, even though he the highly visible player. Take for instance the Toledo game, was Wilson really that bad or was it that he had to adjust because his front line was not giving him enough time or protection to do the right play?

Look at Steve Young, here is a Hall of fame QB that did crap while with Tampa Bay, Why? because he had a bad offensive line. He went to SF, and there they had one of the best lines in the NFL and Steve went into the Hall of Fame.

Lastly, I don’t care if you are positive or negative. As long as you are willing to admit that maybe something else is going on.

In my opinion, the main issue with the Offense has been the line, they did not open holes for the RB’s, they have not given Wilson/Hall enough time or protection to do their jobs. I have been very critical of the offensive line this year and has suggested that maybe they should bench of few of them to send a clear message. I have also been critical of Wilson “trying to win” to much and not stay within the scheme. His INT’s were made because Wilson wanted to thread the needle a little to much.

On personal note, when I say cryptic, I mean you do not put much detail into “why” you think what you do so other people can understand what you mean. Just because you understand your message, does not mean everyone else does. That is the issue, and you seem to take offense when I try to help you understand that if you gave more details why, then people may understand more. You learn this in your communication classes in college, “It is NOT what you think your message is, but how it is received that is important”.

I know sometimes my posts makes no sense to other people, so that is why I try to put the details down so it helps the understanding process.

The ESPN crew called it “suicidal” to go for it and not kick the ball away.

Love it.

Ron is quite a bit older then any of us here at Cougarfan. You have my sincere apologies being lumped with Hopper. I think I speak for the rest of us when I say Ron had a brain fart on that one. The Hopper is a known Narcist and keeps a running argument with all posters here at Cougarfan. Sometimes he says something intelligent but is too busy patting his own back for any of us to complement him. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

You can do what Tx and I do; Just never respond to him and the threat that he highjacks will die.

But by all means, Welcome to the board. I find your posts insightful, full of information, the kind of stuff that I look for.

Ya, many in here believe they jaw back and forth learning from each other. But, if they don’t get their way they get personal. Personally, I only get personal when they do that. I, like you, voice my opinion. I don’t agree with every opinion posted and like you I don’t and shouldn’t have to. And vice a versa.
Some have demanded that I accept their belief there are conspiracies against BYU and the Church with officials and I simply say just win. Some don’t like that and got personal.
With this in mind, I still like these people and actually learn things as well. It’s a good place to blow off steam as well. Stick around and try not to take things personal :slight_smile:

Yet, you are all over the DC and want him fired. No, the timing was fine. The holder was fine. The kicker is not blaming anyone but himself. When there is one missed big deal. But 4 in 3 games from inside the 40? Losing 2 games because of it? No. You have to try someone else at this point.

While I agree with most of your post, you almost never admit others may be right as well. And often don’t explain your points either. As do I. That’s why we converse back and forth. However, some post so much they lose consentration and get extremely wordy and impossible to understand.
Now, back to the missed field goals. Time to try someone new for the shorter field goals. We have to win 3 of the last 5 games to get to a bowl.

Still do, the reason the defense did what they did was because of Kalani taking over, and not the DC.
The guy should be demoted to Line coach and that is it.

Scott you want to blame the kicker, I perfer blaming the 3 man FG unit. Because to be honest, neither one of us really know what is happening and Kalani isn’t the type of coach to throw his players under the bus (think Mike Leach here).

And now you understand how they get personal when you don’t agree with them. They call you narcissistic when they refuse to yield and agree with you. But, as I say, you have to take the good with the bad anywhere. There is more good in here than bad. And our personalities won’t all mesh together. But all are welcome in my opinion regardless

If you have a QB not performing well do you blame the receivers and center snap? No, as with Tanner, you give him a chance to win games. But as with Tannner, you eventually replace him with Wilson. Oldroyd has lost 2 games and almost a third.
The timing was fine. The holds were fine. His kicking motion or alignment isn’t and it isn’t getting better.time to try someone else if he isn’t going to perform.

Sr_Burton,

First of all, I thank you for the great compliment.
Next, beyond the compliment, I agree with everything you said in your post below.

It is much easier to be objective both critically and complementing two teams ranked in the top 5 than it is to do the same with FCS teams and those G5 teams below the 65 ranking. The greatness and the faults that are consistent among top 5 ranked teams are easier, because of their consistency, to follow.

"You have great comprehension skills. It is difficult for fans of a certain team to view a game dispassionately and not be led by emotion. Hopefully most officials have this quality. I feel I have a lot better insight watching an Alabama/Clemson game than I do a BYU game. Last night was an exception, as I have a great deal of respect for Boise State. BYU simply outplayed them even though the stats refute that except for the turnovers. Which were huge. I believe BYU simply wanted this game more for whatever reason. "