BYU vs. Gonzaga... a very winnable game, but once again who knows?

Rose needs to sit down occasionally too. Talk with his coaches like Few does. But, you mentioned that Few expects them to play like they practice. They get to play based on how they practice first. Talent, time whatever it is, our players don’t work hard enough in practice on game like conditions. And, our bench especially.

I see you actually watched the game. Which game was Hopper watching? Must be me-i can’t figure it out except I’ve see this replay so many times I’ve got it down pat-yawn

What’s your problem with my analysis?

Your analysis is fine. Obviously if you hit more shots your going to score more points and have a better chance to win. Sometimes you fail to look deeper Into what’s going on- otherwords why are we missing 3 point shots, or layups. Defensively, who is getting abused and why. If you have noticed Rose has pulled Childs immediately after launching 3 point shots the last two games. What does this tell you? It tells me at this time Rose doesn’t want him launching that shot. Seljaas started the 2nd half. Before Rose finally pulled him, they had worked him for 14 points. Offensively he was ineffective until garbage time when he made a nice shot. He is being used in a place he is not able to be successful at the present stage in his career. People have told you Dastrup should have been used more all year, if for nothing else to get him ready for the present time. You make quips like “He doesn’t practice hard enough” Can you really say with a straight face that BYU looks much better now than the first part of the season? No-in many cases they look worse. Gonzaga looks much better than when the year started and that’s on the coaches-both ways-unless injuries came into play. You want to lay the blame on Bryant for missing all those 3’s, but Few knows that only Bryant and Childs can beat them. They have been over played and worn down, they get doubled and tripled all the time and who is going to take the pressure off them. Maybe Haws, but Haws has been really inconsistent with his shot. In the first half it was Hardnett, but not in the second. What’s the difference between BYU and Gonzaga? BYU is on their home floor with thousands of screaming fans . The officials called a good game, Gonzaga is hit with more calls-yet Gonzaga turns it into a laugher in the second half leading by as much as 22. BYU was out executed, outplayed and out coached. That’s what happened and my guess is-it’s what most people saw, but if you doubt it ask Fish or Hawks or Claus or virtually anyone else. BUT your analysis is fine-BYU missed those shots😉

No reason to state this, I already know.

You have no clue what you are talking about but I know that isn’t news to anyone. How many practices have you been to this basketball season?

Same old drivel, nothing new.

Don’t need to because Rose has said this when interviewed. And, other former players who do analysis now say the same thing. I also followed the same direction while coaching from the head coach and what coach Arnold taught. You cannot reward players who practice poorly. I don’t expect you to understand this because you weren’t trained for this :slight_smile:

Dastrup hit a couple of 3’s early in the season but none since. Wide open 3’s too. I’m not sure what is going on in practice by no coach will reward anyone who doesn’t work hard and doesn’t do everything the way the coach wants. At least they shouldn’t. Something is going on and I doubt it’s just Rose.

I’m not sure with the personnel we have if we could have improved more. I do agree that Bryant and Childs have to play more than they should. I’m sure Rose agrees. But, just playing Dastrup or Bergerson more early on doesn’t mean now they would be performing better. That’s an assumption without proof. Early on, when they got into the game the bench didn’t perform and still doesn’t. We really miss Emery any way you look at it. I expect some other bench players next year will work hard and be ready for next year. Gonzaga bench and other team’s bench simply worked harder than us and played better than us. That has to change.

It is painful to read your posts… In fact, I didn’t even finish… either one. I started to read and just stopped about a sentence in.

:disappointed:

Did anyone look at the box score? I noticed that the Gonzaga starters all scored in double figures but the leading scorer only had 16 points. That is called team basketball. They also had Hachimura, the sixth man of the year in the wcc come off the bench and score 12 pts. so they ended up with 6 players in double figures and none more than 16 pts. The interesting thing is that at the beginning of the season Hachimura was just a raw talent with no experience. As the season progressed and he was given the minutes to develop and gain the necessary experience he just got better and better and now Few has a player who makes big contributions to the team.

Why can’t BYU do the same? Why doesn’t Rose develop talent? Why does the team look worse now than when they started the season?

Trying to understand Rose’s approach and strategy is almost as painful as reading grasshopper’s posts. It makes no sense.

Yet I have no problem understanding why and you do. Why is that? I can guarantee you that Hachimura didn’t get playing time until he showed in practice he could be on the floor. I’m sure Rose does the same thing. So, assuming he is then what isn’t happening is goal setting. At different parts of the season players should have goals to accomplish and if they don’t make them then they don’t play. If Rose is doing this then that’s why you don’t see much playing time for bench players. Few is getting his players to reach individual goals.

No more painful than your own with your conspiracies and assumptions about Rose. :sunglasses:

Some games when we are leading some 15 points or more he continues to keep his starters the whole way in the game “blowout” and not work with other players “including Dastrup” to “Develop” their skill. And sometime starts work on breaking some record or lose focus toward the end. Again, “Hopper Pactice Talk” - in some ways yes but they need to “DEVELOP” on their playing time in LIVE GAMES.

You think that skill is developed during a game? Ummm…no. That happens in practice. So, what does develop in a game?

The real deal is irreplacable. Confidence, composure, and real time strategy are best developed in games.

Your point that players shouldn’t play who screw off is valid. We don’t see practice so we don’t know. Maybe Rose is right, maybe not.

What I do know is what I can see in the game. Zach is out of position. Yo too, he’d play even better at the 4. My guy Luke is in a slump and I can’t trust him on offense and even on defense. Lately he’s made uncharacteristic mistakes. Eli is tired. The starters are playing too many minutes and as you’ve noted, force up too many shots. So, even if you feel like Dastrup, bergerson, and possibly cannon aren’t performing in practice, those are the guys we have to work with (I left out Nixon because he’s obviously performing well and frankly you could argue for sticking him in Luke’s spot though I would prefer he play at the back up 4 for 15 minutes a game)

This is how I would shake things out for minutes (and remember, it’s equally about protecting Eli as it is about developing Bergerson

1: Hardnet 20, Cannon 10, Haws 10 (only with weaker PGs)
2: Haws 15, Zach 15, Eli 10
3: Eli 20, Bergerson 10, Zach 5, Yo 5
4: Yo 20, Nixon 15, Dastrup 5
5: Dastrup 15, Luke 20, Nixon 5

You could make a lot of changes to this and I’d probably agree with you, but this is the picture I see in the game. For instance:

• Cannon might deserve more minutes and Haws might be a defensive disaster for ten at the 1.
  • Zach still can’t shoot…I just don’t know what to do with him.

Oh and a caveat, this isn’t meant as a tourney lineup…they would kill us. Just my observation for the season.

Come on Scott, you are probably the only one that believes you aren’t in the twilight zone and I know you are a smart guy, so is this being so obtuse deliberate or are you wearing extra thick blue goggles. I know at times you actually make sense, but lately it’s become a rare edition. Unfortunately this is a team in disarray, with a lack of confidence and probably mismanaged for a few years. I don’t care what they do, but someone has to change the direction of this program before it self-destructs. A lot of coaches reach a pinnacle and the their programs start to slide. The Emery fiasco may not be a good sign and who really knows why Mika left 2 years early other than “He didn’t like school” anyway hopefully things get turned around but you have to be proactive

“The real deal is irreplacable. Confidence, composure, and real time strategy are best developed in games.”

Yes! And this allows the skills to come through. Skills are developed in practice. Bergerson, in an interview with Rose said he’s getting better, and knows his position and what he needs to do and work on. He was actually an after thought during the recruiting. They were looking at another player and decided they could develop him. He’s a true freshman. In my opinion, this is Dastrups freshman year. Last year was a complete waste of time. They should have redshirted him. He was over weight and didn’t work hard to get into shape. He’s in shape now but a year behind. If he gets more serious he will start next year unless Andrus develops because he’s just as talented as Dastrup. Dastrup is also known to be a clown and busy with girls. He needs to focus on basketball more.

I agree with your lineup. I think we also are missing Emery a lot now. He would be able to give Bryant and Haws the rest they need. And you are right about being tired. We peaked a month ago due to fatigue. But, Rose has no choice with Haws and Bryant. Had Dastrup come along better he could give Childs a lot more rest.

The only other thing I’ll mention and I don’t know how this will be taken but it’s not up to Rose to warm up to the players. That’s a receipt for disaster. He’s the coach and it’s up to the players to conform to his rules and his expectations. Not the other way around. I don’t know any coach that would coach that way. The players know what to expect and what there responsibilities are. Even if Rose loses players he has to be the final decision maker based on his rules and expectations. The AD will decide if it’s working or not. Holmo is no dummy.

Hopper - How much longer do you think Rose is our HC?

Minimum 2 year maximum 5 years. Then, he and his wife will go on a mission.

I think I see what you’re saying here but I want to tease out some of the implications first because I disagree with part of it. I agree a coach must be the ultimate authority on a team and command respect. That said, everyone is an individual and their psychology is its own maze. A coach has to approach each maze differently or risk losing a valuable asset for mishandling them. So even if I agree that a coach must have ultimate authority, he has to use that correctly. In other words, he better choose carefully what the ‘rules and expectations’ are going to be.

Say what you will about Phil Jackson at the end of his career (or frankly that he was a system coach that relied on someone else for providing the system) but he knew how to manage his players and what each of them needed in order to work effectively. He treated Mike differently that Pippen and gave each what he needed to succeed. For instance, Dennis Rodman was famously a square peg in a round hole but Phil found a way to get the most out of the worm and keep him in the team orbit even if he didn’t always do what Phil was comfortable with.

In application to BYU, TJ and Jahshire are very different players and clearly need to be handled in different ways. All for the good of the team. It’s comparable to Kids. You could write a different parenting manual for each kid. You’re always striving for the same goal but the methods are often different.

You’re implying a hypothetical imperative. Rose only has no choice if he wants something. Presumably, you mean victories earlier in the season. I take the counterpoint. I’ll risk those losses if it means a well rested Eli now and a better developed Bergerson. Fans won’t like it, but BYU is an underdog and must play the long game, otherwise known as development. If we try to win like other teams, we’ll ultimately fall short. But if we put in the time to develop guys and preserve stars, we can play team ball instead of this frustrating hero ball that we’ve used for what feels like a decade.