BYU vs. LMU decapitations, etc

Aaaaaaaa, hit some weights. Quit recruiting Mr basketballs and start recruiting athletes.

By the way, I evaluated Bryant a year ago and thought he was another 10 or 12 PPG guy. He worked his butt off in the summer and became an NBA prospect. No that is dedication. A good coach gets more from players, you actually win some you should have lost. Rose has won some (@ Gonzaga) but them he losses far too many toilet games to be called a good coach. I just think he’s tired

I am too so I’m goin to bed. So disappointed.

I care. I want this fixed and it’s doable. No excuses anymore. [quote=“JimHawks, post:20, topic:7845”]
There is just way too much running of the offense. It is stale and you can tell who they are expecting to score so that is who the opponents guard. There isn’t enough freedom for other players to do anything, let alone shoot. They just fill spots on the floor.
[/quote]

I’m not sure what you mean here but it sounds like what I’m thinking. The ball needs to find the open man and go up. I’m all for being patient because run and gun takes more athletes we don’t always have. But by all means get players moving off the ball and less stand around and watch Elijah work somebody. And sometimes they do a good job of that. There’s a lot of standing around.

I saw numerous times, even with the designated shooters having the ball, where they stuck to the offensive plan so strictly that they missed opportunities for drives and wide open layups or easy shots. It is like they are robots sometimes. The worst thing was nobody hitting the boards when a shot went up. That was mind boggling. Almost zero second chance points IMO. They always look to force opportunities for Childs and Bryant and Haws. Every so often Seljaas gets a chance but nobody else does. When another player shoots it is rare.

Oh ok I get what you’re saying now. The whole idea of a motion offense is options upon options of ways to score and adapt and beat the other team. You don’t force things, you adapt to their decisions and make them bad. It’s definitely not a ‘play’ that you have to execute.

It’s interesting that someone or two said coaching isn’t important. It’s all about the players. Hmmm… now it’s all Rose fault. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

This was a frustrating game to watch.

1. Low 3 point shooting percentage for BYU
  2. LMU hit shots they haven’t hit all year
  3. LMU played tough defense that we never adjusted for
  4. Too much dribbling
  5. Really bad spacing and passing
  6. Where is our full court defense?
  7. Bryant out for 6 minutes really hurt
  8. Referees missing the first flagarent foul on Bryant was just plain inexcusable
  9. Haws is up and down from game to game. When this is obvious sit him and go big
  10. Dastrup makes too many mistakes in the short period he is in there. Yet, he does good things too. Yet, his shooting is struggling too
  11. We practiced more for Gonzaga than LMU and was looking past LMU

Dave Rose on BYU’s loss to LMU: “I don’t know which is uglier, the stat sheet or the actual game itself.”

How about the “ugliness” of the fact that your teams do this every single season?

How about the “ugliness” of not being prepared for each and every game?

How about the “ugliness” of the fact that BYU holds on to this mistaken belief that they are good enough to just walk into any gym and beat every wcc team not named St. Mary’s or Gonzaga… the only two teams that they really ever prepare for?

Those are the ugly things about BYU basketball.

I’ve explained why this is the case and why it will continue to be a problem. No single player on BYU is chastised more than Dastrup. Everyone wants to blame him for everything, including you.

It’s ridiculous.

LAUGH OUT LOUD
Thank you.

I agree…sadly.

I love the NIT…I just keep trying to convince myself…and it doesn’t work…

I give up…

You think this is bad, try being a Jazz fan… They just blew Golden State off the floor by 30 points… but lost last week to the worst team in the NBA (Atlanta) by 30… Go figure…

1 Like

What people fail to understand are two things:

1. Teams sometimes play and shoot way over their potential LMU
  2. Some teams just match up well against you LMU

Coach got into others too last night. Let’s face it, we were slow to the ball last night. We didn’t go for rebounds. It’s like we were conserving energy for Gonzaga. And, when Bryant went out we lost any momentum.
With that said, our offense effort didn’t adjust to their aggressive full court defense. Everyone was making bad passes. I mean really bad passes. Lobs to Childs were short and to the side into the defenders. No bounce passes hardly at all. Too much dribbling. No blocking out and going for the rebounds. Yet, you are inconsistent on whether it’s the coaches fault or not.

and others fails to realize that teams have schizophrenia at times… :open_mouth:

Does saying “your” team help you with your loss? Come on, I’m surprised on how well this team has done this year losing 2 key starters.
My question is this, like in football, we seem to not have the same ability to learn and run more offenses and plays than other teams. We should be able to change up the offenses when we get teams that play the type of match up zones we saw last night. And it was well hidden by LMU. We did try a couple of things but our passing was horrible.
Well, tomorrow is Gonzaga and we obviously didn’t prepare for LMU. So, the game tomorrow should be better as we probably prepared for Gonzaga.

I don’t understand Haws. The last few games he looked good. Last night he was off balanced and not squared up for shots and free throws. That’s all mental. Sejlass same way.

The problem is we’ve made a habit of losing to sub 200 teams. One game, ok. 6 games since I think 2016 where we lose to a sub 200 team? That’s a trend. The last time St zags lost to a sub 200 teams was 2011 and 2010 respectively. There is a coaching issue here. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s there.

Speaking of, anybody have any data on the first 10 minutes and our median scoring? I feel like we start slow most of the time but I can’t say that for sure. Maybe we need to do a better job of stepping on throats early?

Oh I’m pretty consistent on what I blame players for and what I blame coaches for. I blame TJ when he breaks rank and free wheels without production. I blame the coaches when he doesn’t get yanked. It’s certainly a problem with both. But each of them has to look at it like they are the entire problem and can fix things on their own end.

Seriously, why do we keep losing to horrible teams? St zags rarely does. They aren’t too different from us in terms of talent. I can’t figure it out. Consistency has to be the new metric for success. It’s our only way forward as a team.

Oh and I think @fish mentioned we need to start recruiting athletes over Mr. Basketballs. I like that point. It’s the old Boise state approach. You find the guy who has upside and can project well but hasn’t produced yet. That would help against these teams.

I gave you the reasons why we lose to what you call bad or weak teams. LMU’s players made ridiculous shots that they normally miss. Some nights those go in. They played above themselves and we didn’t because we most likely practiced more for Gonzaga than LMU and LMU banked on it. They had a great defense.
We are still a very young team. I hope everyone stays for next year and Dastrup continues to improve because him and Childs could be a great 4 and 5. Or, we go back to the olden days and play 2 really good guards and a small forward, big forward and a Center like Worthington.

Again the problem is the trend. And I didn’t call them bad teams, the stats do. Sub 200 to be specific.

I am hopeful for next year as I do see a positive trend. But we must be consistent, or at least as consistent as St. Zags. That is a reasonable expectation.

They are bad teams and when BYU loses to them they are bad on the nights that happens. I agree that a loss to a lower level WCC team every 2-3 years is acceptable and can be expected but multiple losses to those type of teams on a yearly basis shouldn’t be the expectation. Either the players are playing below their abilities or they aren’t as good as the recruiting services have rated them.

Hey… how about this concept. Maybe it’s some of both? Why does everything have to be one fault or the other? You are the classic either/or person. With you it’s always the democrats… how about this idea? Both of the political parties are terrible.

It is a combo problem but it starts with the coaching. Then it filters down to the players. It isn’t Nixon, Seljaas, Cannon, Worthington fault that Rose plays them so much and they aren’t contributing anything. Same with Haws. He has gotten tons of playing time every game and he doesn’t produce. Everyone says he is a better player… I don’t see it. The team simply underperforms season after season. That starts with Rose… it is his problem primarily.