BYU vs.NEVADA... here we go

Generally true statements but a think you are stretching the idea that BYU can play with top teams. I don’t think that is going to be the case.

Emery’s 3 point shooting… LOL! What makes you think that is going to happen?

Worthington is going to get plenty of playing time, he is a team captain.

The thing that this game proved is that Rose should have been employing this same strategy in an effort to develop talent and depth over the last decade or more. I’m not sure where this change in philosophy came from but it is good.

I won’t blame the result on officiating but they certainly didn’t help the cause for BYU… it was advantage Nevada most of the night, particularly with the bogus calls on Childs. to start the second half.

It’s like his 6th year playing for BYU, he is now a team captain and will see lots of floor time this season. Maybe Baxter will get fed up with it and leave this season or maybe that Lee kid will.

Still boggles my mind how much credit and playing time he gets.

One of the trademarks of arrogant officials is to key on the best player of the team they dislike the most. It just goes with the territory and all of these guys have lots of experience.

Childs has to learn not to swat from the side at the 3 point line. That was a foul and easy to call. The others were too.

Yes, Emery will be a big help shooting. He can spot Hardnett. Hardnett can flat out play.

Yes, I hope Rose keeps playing deep into his bench because they all showed they can play. Nevada is the real deal. But, for 35 minutes we were with them. And then we ran out of gas. #44 had a good game. He has to play as well as Baxter.

Fish I agree with you about Baxter and Harding. Both athletic and long. I think they will both be good. I hope Emery comes back strong, because I won’t watch another 29 games of Haws playing like he did tonight…Haws looks just completely overwhelmed physically at both ends of the court…his body looks exactly the same as it did in HS. Do these guys not work out, or do they just not care??? And for crying out loud, Dave Rose needs to put a leash on Haws–you can’t green light a guy who shoots 31%. Haws shot 40% two years ago, when he was the 4th option on offense and everyone was guarding Mika and Bryant and Emery, and Haws got a lot of open shots. Last year he was a primary option and he was terrible. Tonight looked worse.

Yep Haws is a major disappointment. Nevada exposed to everything that’s wrong with our team. We have no depth behind Childs and Haase got knocked around like a little paper bag. We need Baxter and lee to step upAnd worthlesston To sit down

TJ played 32 minutes and all other starters played less. Tj put in 5 pts and 5 TOs and didn’t get yanked? You think Heath Schroyer would have sat on him - I know he no longer at the Y. As TJ said back in mid Oct he was happy about getting back to fast pace game - see this article:
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900037299/byu-basketball-to-play-more-fast-paced-up-tempo-style-this-season.html

When I read that, here we go again like, out of control TJ again.

Y Childs will get plenty of help before next game. He will play more minutes staying out of foul trouble.

Luke Worthington only played 3 minutes compared to other 3 guys Baxter 15 min, Lee 4 min and Nixon 17 min which I hope those three will improve and less time for Luke.

And yesterday before the game Dave Rose got an extension till 2020-2021. Look like he won’t be quitting soon. But I was glad last night he put in a lot of bench players on the floor with those 3 young freshman “Baxter, Harding and Lee.” I hope Dave will continue to play a lot of guys and play less on TJ & Luke too.

TOO MANY missed 3’s need to be fix a long time ago like after Jimmer days. Yesterday before the game last night, DN article, it was mentioned there will be a lot of 3’s shooting just like Jimmer Time. I said, “I don’t think so - more like Bricks.” I tell you there are too many talking from this team and as well from medias.

Oh well, just move on and hope for better the rest of the way. If not, another 3rd place or worse.

Looks like a replay of every year since Jimmer left. BYU stayed with Nevada as long as Nevada kept clanging balls off the rim. If Childs gets in foul trouble, watch out because there is nobody to replace him since Dastup left. Baxter and Harding are a year or two away, but doing ok for 1st year. Ugh, I’ll take Emery over Haws at this point. BYU will do ok as long as we don’t play anyone good so there will be hope in Cougarville after the next two games. Nevada was way to athletic and long for Childs to dominate and avoid foul trouble. BYU COULD HAVE QUIT-early on but didn’t do that was good

The difference was free-throws. Both teams shot very poorly, although Nevada made two more three-pointers than we did, and shot threes a little better (28% to 19%). But Nevada shot 39 free-throws to our 19, making exactly 16 more than we did. We shot an anemic 63% from the line. Terrible.

As I watched the game I thought of how much better we would of been with Emery in there. Also I think we will get better when those freshmen get a little time under their belt particularly Lee.
I don’t who it was but they said they hated Nevada. Thie 84 year old cowboy played there in '56 & '57 and that field house is named after my old coach. WYCOWBOY

1 Like

You say this about the team and use it as an excuse for losing EVERY time. You said it last year, the year before, etc. and now you are starting off this season saying the same thing.

Listen… nobody played so many minutes that they “ran out of gas”. Nobody was too tired, it was the first game of the season so the conditioning and stamina should be just fine. The bottom line is that they got some iffy calls at key times down the stretch and they lost their mental edge… something they do frequently.

That is the truth.

But wait a minute… Haws was the two time Utah state player of the year, wasn’t he? So when you only recruit in your own backyard and you get a player of Haws caliber, it’s all good, right?

Light bulb moment here for those of you who aren’t seeing it. When you are the Utah high school player of the year and everybody is telling you how awesome you are and you believe it so strongly that it makes you cocky and smug instead of making you want to improve and be a team player, this is the result. You reap what you sow.

I have mentioned previously that he would be a problem because of his smug attitude and it is evident. He can shoot 10 shots and miss the first 9 but act like he is all world when he hits that 10th. The mission did nothing to help his humility, nor his drive to improve. I just don’t see it getting better as the season moves forward.

How well do you think this team is going to perform with Haws and Worthington as team captains? Do the rest of the players look to them as examples and for leadership?

I know this sounds harsh but I only point it out hoping that it will improve his perspective, attitude and effort going forward. I think it is possible but time is running out.

Right on dewsy… too many delusional posers who lack humility. They have the misguided notion that confidence means cockiness and a denial of reality. That is what has plagued this team since the Jimmer days. Jimmer was confident and always trying to improve and find ways to win. There are no Jimmers on this team…

The stats can really tell the story. The story is the same, just a different chapter of the same book. BYU can’t hit a decent free throw percentage. This just isn’t acceptable but somehow it is with Rose. 19% on three’s isn’t getting it done either. BYU played well at times but the bottom line is that they didn’t do what they needed to when it mattered.

This has become Rose coached BYU teams lately.

It was me. I just didn’t like the attitude of their players. Not a lot of sportsmanship on display, falling hard purposefully on the BYU players, locking arms and trying to create injuries. I was referring to their teams attitude.

Not sure Emery would have made a significant difference. He is a veteran like Haws, who didn’t do a whole lot. It remains to be seen who will see the bulk of playing time this season. That was a big step for Rose to take giving minutes to the younger guys. Haws played crappy and still got 32 minutes so I’m not sold yet. The reason Worthington didn’t play was because he was a fouling machine. His cruddy play will be rewarded with more minutes than he deserves as always.

Man, I need to back off a little. This sounds really harsh. Mellow out dude…

I.m pretty mellowed out at 84 years of age. My basketball playing days at Nevada were over 60 years ago. At that time there was not an UNLV, just the U of N. I remember at that time that the U of San Fransico was in our league and man could those boys play the game.

Hardnett ran out of gas. It was obvious. And others did too. The competition wore them down as they were much more physical and made us work much harder. Top 10 teams will do that to you.

Also, as Hardnett also said we missed a lot of shots going down the stretch. And that was due to fatigue as well. We always talk about our players being skinny and not enough muscle. It’s true and we wore down. As the newer members play more, that will happen less and Hardnett won’t have to play most of the game. Especially when we get Emery back :slight_smile:

Talking to yourself. Being bishop does that to people :slight_smile:

I liked our younger and new players. They have good strength, talent and upside potential. If Haws plays like that more he will see less playing time. Trying to dribble behind his back and pins the ball against his butt. Hilarious! He will eventually be splitting time with Emery and #44. Baxter and Lee should get a lot of time too.

You mean like last season?

Sorry, not going to happen. He will see the floor a lot, regardless of how well other guys are playing.

Haven’t you figured that out about the BYU basketball team yet?

Who played more last year, Worthington or Dastrup? If it wasn’t clear who the better player was then you don’t know much about basketball.

Coached for 10 years. Of course I know basketball. Do you? That’s right, you played VYBA and Nerdoff low school :slight_smile:

Haws got pulled three times for messing up. So, with Rose extension to 2021, he is doing things different. Have faith :slight_smile: