BYU vs. St. Mary's Gaels predictions

Turnovers certainly didn’t help the cause, but there were other problems as well. Missed ft, poor inbound execution. Wild three point attempts

Will restate my question: Did either Harward or Baxter have extensive D1 basketball experience?

The last 1:48 was mind boggling. What was said it not said in the time out? Why did they rush everything?

Harward played a lot last year as backup to Haarms. Baxter looked very good until the injury. He should give it another shot.

I would say Harward had extensive D-1 experience with UVU and BYU. Because of the injuries Baxter-no

Another statement that isn’t valid or true. Not EVERY call kills momentum for one team. That is complete nonsense. As always you just don’t have a sense for the game and how it is played. You are very X’s and O’s and the game is so much more than that. Bummer, but you need to accept that you’re understanding is very basic and simple.

There are lots of other answers, you just don’t know how to find or perceive them.

How did you find your answer to the truth of the restored gospel? It isn’t the same for everyone.

No, you need to accept that your ideas about referees are silly simple ways to explain calling fouls against BYU. By the way, the game comes down to basics and doing them properly. That includes X’s and O’s. :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s probably true at the girls JV level but it just isn’t the case at the college and professional level of play. So the things you are familiar with are correct. Your analysis just hasn’t risen to the level of play we talk about here. Time to go back and take a class from a high school coach.

Okay Mr. Expert :rofl:
So, what are you going to do when the same things happen in the Big 12?

Watching the Gonzaga USF game…

There are 5 minutes to go in the game and Gonzaga has been called for all of 2 fouls in the second half. How strange at the very time I am writing this, a USF player is on the floor bleeding after an elbow to the face and no call on Gonzaga. I’m telling you right now, the WCC and the officials pandering to Mark Few and his constant complaining (Zags are up by 15) is disgusting.

BYU can’t get out of this league fast enough. Shabazz may have broken his nose and no call. Blatant elbow thrown at him and Few is still complaining at the officials about his own players. The guy is on the floor bleeding right in front of him and he just complains away. Honestly he should be embarrassed about it.

USF making a small run with some steals and layups (getting fouled on the layups) and still no calls against Gonzaga. The only call the Dons can get is if one of their players takes an elbow to the face and bleeds on the floor and the refs review it. Call was made after the review… terrible.

This is the perfect example of what I am talking about when it comes to officiating. If you look at the box score it won’t appear that bad but if you watched the game you will see how the calls and the timing of the calls during the game totally played into Gonzaga’s favor. USF tried several times, and made some good steals and shots, to come back but the officials were there every time they made a run to shut it down.

The Hopper will NEVER understand this… NEVER.

As Jim Hawk has said before Gonzaga is the darling team in the WCC. Yes I am ready to get BYU to get out of WCC to jump in now with big 12. Just hope BYU does not have to see another Darling team of Kansas Jayhawks.

Anyway yes it is sad to hear what was going on tonight game between Gonzaga and San Francisco us

My thoughts as well.
I am intrigued by What Erickson and Trey Stewart can do from a guard standpoint. Atiki will get much better, I like his feistiness. If Lohner can harness his fire like tonight, watch out. Fooooos is already a star.

Simple. Scouting reports say to double Barcello, teams didn’t until about 8 games in.
Tonight’s game is a good example of BYU’s season…LMU’s Pepe as injured, They abused us inside in the last game, without Pepe, they had little inside pressure and got way smaller then BYU, we scored 52 points in the paint tonight, LMU scored 4.

I watched that game, Gonzaga has way better athletes and they do get preferential treatment. Show me D1 or Pro Basketball that doesn’t do that??? Bron James comes down the floor, bodies a defender, gets the call…reverse the rolls and same player bodies James, James gets a offensive call on said player. $$$ talks

BYU will get no love in the B12, we will be their whipping boy in basketball. Don’t kid ourselves.

I know you are a big Mark Few fan and I don’t know if you saw any of the game but I was honestly shocked at some of his actions. He spends way too much time railing on the officials. At one point in the second half, like I described above, the Zags had been called for 2 fouls total and there were less than 5 minutes to go in the game. In an effort to come back from a large deficit, USF was pressuring Gonzaga into a turnover or two. Shabazz was guarding right in front of the Zags bench when the Gonzaga player turned toward him with his elbow intentionally out and caught the USF player in the face. Shabazz went to the floor and there was blood everywhere. Few was literally less than 10 ft. from him and kept barking at the ref about his players being fouled. It took him awhile to stop and then he kind of showed concern but it seemed token and only because he was embarrassed.

I don’t know, it was disappointing… it was like all that mattered was making sure he got after the refs for being slighted… the flagrant foul was only called AFTER the play was reviewed. The refs had apparently missed it, probably because they were too focused on the interaction with Few.

Also, this isn’t the NBA and Gonzaga isn’t Lebron James. I have watched some Laker games this season and they are not very good. Likewise, I haven’t seen them get any preferential treatment either. If they had, it would probably lead to some wins here and there. That hasn’t happened and I am not a Laker fan.

I saw that play, I viewed it as 2 guys going after the Zag player, who finally secured the ball, he then swiped through and Shebazz stuck his face into the zag player. broken nose. It was the right call but what is a guy to do when he is getting mauled? I don’t think the zag player was intentionally trying to injure Shebazz, just clearing space. It was the right call in the end.

Mark Few is under tremendous pressure to finally win the big one. He does nothing different then say Coach K or any elite coach does or doesn’t do.
I think this is the year he gets over the hump and wins it all.
Few stays there when he could make 30 million at a blue blood but he loves his fishing more than $$$$. priorities.

Perspective is determined by your initial prejudice. I watched the Gonzaga game and the Zags got the calls in the 2nd half which was completely the opposite of the first half where the Dons shot 10 more foul shots than Gonzaga. It was like 11-1 and it looked like Gonzaga got hammered inside. I have no respect for WCC officiating. Have the credibility to ignore the fans and the coaches and call the game straight. They almost look like politicians trying to secure votes. I expect Saint Mary’s to give Gonzaga a tough time Saturday and no-this won’t be the year Gonzaga wins it all-not good enough defensively and rebounding. Few is a top tier coach-his teams have been winning for a long time, even before they started getting top recruits and had slow “white” guys😁

Slow white guys. Speak for yourself :grimacing:
I’m glad you brought out the unbalanced foul shots in the first half against GU.
Those who complain about Few’s constant conversations with refs have no clue about the history of this. Frank Arnold was asked in a class that I was taking how it was to assist for such a calm respectful coach like Wooden. He started laughing and said Wooden is the best ventriloquist coach ever! He said every time a ref would go by he was talking to him. He said refs would try to avoid going by him. Wooden was relentless with refs.

I loved John Wooden-smart, classy, a real teacher of basketball and life

It is interesting how two people can watch the same play and see it completely different. I saw a Zags player being double teamed, getting frustrated because he had nobody to pass to, Few yelling at the officials and then the player putting his elbow out and deliberately ramming into the face of Shabazz. Initially nobody saw it that way, including the officials, but after watching the replay it seemed fairly obvious that is what took place.

The best thing is that I can completely disagree with fish yet I still respect his opinion and perspective and am willing to see it as a possibility of what really happened. I have been mistaken and wrong before and I am sure I will in the future as well. I think the constant haranguing of the officials by Few affects his players as well. They get frustrated and do things that aren’t always the best. Oh well. I do hope Gonzaga goes all the way but who knows.

Yes, it is interesting. Very interesting!!! :sunglasses: