BYU vs. St. Mary's

If you notice the spelling of the two words, there isn’t a lot of difference between hype and hope… except for the “Y”, if you know what I mean. :laughing:

That’s a good one, Jim.

Are you saying my faith is based on hype? This has been a new season for BYU. We play defense now and hold players more accountable. Against two top 15 teams we are holding our own so far. I think next year we may be one of two top 25 teams. Just sit back and relax :slight_smile: Have hope! Your faith will grow. Your belief strengthened. :innocent:

There was a good post last week about the different types of fans at the various institutions around the country and I thought it was pretty good and spot on for BYU. I remember as a little kid my brother-in-law was always hyping BYU about how “loaded” they were and then they would have a decent year but nothing spectacular. The same thing when i attended there-lots of hope but nothing dominant. Maybe hype is just another word for fan, but to me you can be a fan and also be realistic and objective. I hesitate to say anything negative about a coach or player so I won’t, but my objective analysis of BYU basketball would be-two good consistant players(Bryant and Childs)-two good, but sometimes inconsistent players(Haws and Hardnett)-one-this is what you get(Worthington)-the rest have undeveloped potential which developing is key to making a jump forward. Coaching-i wont take anything away from Rose-he has a great record and done a good job-3rd or 4th best in the WCC-Assistant coaches-:+1:better with HS-Outlook-3rd this year in WCC-2nd or 3rd next year providing they retain Childs and Bryant. To me this isnt hype or hope but an analytical assessment of the BYU program

1 Like

I was replying to a comment from “fish”…

ahhh, grasshopper… most narcissistic one. :open_mouth:

This is an objective post and fair. It may be a little on the positive side (not hyped) regarding a 2nd place finish but I’m okay with that. When they choke away a game to St. Mary’s, and lose by 10 in overtime, that is not a good sign. Winning programs that are showing progress seize an opportunity like that… they don’t fold.

Unfortunately BYU is not a program that is known for their mental fortitude… at least not since Jimmer.

And you are one to talk on the subject from personal understanding:-)

We have talked about the mental preparation for years now concerning all our teams. But, I’m seeing progress this year the fact we should have won the game in Provo had Bryant laid the ball up instead of the pass to Sejlass. That’s experience.

Exactly how? The result ended in a loss. How is that experience? other than learning what NOT to do? I guess it counts for something, either way.

Yes, at the end of the game when the game is on the line “winners always want the ball when the game is on the line.” Bryant learned something valuable for next time.” Possibly in the WCC tournament. Hopefully this Saturday :slight_smile: