BYU vs Utah in Vegas

I agree with you that overall, Utah’s athletic program (football, basketball) is better than BYU’s right now. That sort of thing goes in waves… only a few years ago BYU and Jimmer were destroying the utes on their home floor. Likewise BYU has had their way with Utah on the football field too.

*I’m not sure how or why you think Utah would most likely win, particularly without those 2 key playmakers. Utah started strong but is 3-3 in their last 6 and they lost to an injury riddled UCLA team at home. UCLA is not as good a team as they were when they played BYU, at home, earlier in the season. If you consider all the factors, I don’t see how you reach that conclusion. But… we have had similar discussions in the past about looking at different aspects and facts of a situation and coming to different conclusions.

Blah blah blah…no one in the PAC-12 knows where they are going yet. No one.

This game will never happen. Every decission Utah makes pertaining to BYU is because Utah is extremely calculating in every decission. I believe that they calculate all of the odds and make their decission based on those calculations. There is a good chance BYU would win this game and Utah without Booker and Cover is extremely boring to watch. If they did not have the wins that they have they would not get an invite to play in any bowls. Bowls are always about money and an exciting game. Utah is just plain boring to watch. Great defense, but terribly boring. On the other hand BYU is fun to watch.
Jeff

Who/what are you talking about?

Do you just have some inherent need to harrass Floyd?

On another note… why is Covey at Utah? From everything I’ve heard he wanted to be at BYU. The kid has a nose for the game… every time I have seen Utah play he does something special and just makes plays. BYU missed out on that one big time.

Covey doesn’t fit the 6’6" receivers Anae wants.
Floyd couldn’t either see or admit Taylor hit Emery first. The reason Emery only received a one game suspension is because Taylor hit Emery. But Floyd won’t admit it.

Actually Scott… They have NOT announced it…

My neighbor works in the AD office and we were talking while shoveling snow… Asked him if he was going to the Bowl game for Utah… he said he “No, going to my in-laws in Vegas”. Asked him if he knew where they were going, he said the Bowl in San Francisco… It was a pretty much a lock…

Scott, do you really believe the early release that BYU was going to the VEGAS Bowl was “inadvertent”? as BYU said it was, only to have it announced the next day that they are going there?

These schools know long before they are announced.

He had an offer from BYU, but I think the fact that Covey HS coach was a Whittingham, his cousin plays for Utah made his decision a bit easier.

On BYU Sports Nation this morning they announced Utah is becoming more and more a likelihood. Unless USC loses tomorrow, look for Utah in the Vegas Bowl. That’s fresh off the SN.

They are “Conjecturing” where Utah is going Scott… They don’t have anymore information that you do…

My comment is based on what someone who works in the AD office said to me… Is it FACT? No, because things could change, but from what my friend said was that is where they are going…

You forget that the PAC12 Conference determines who goes where, not what is best for Utah… Personally I hope they play BYU, that would be a good game.

Jim, I agree on the most part with your post says : (M-Mike H).

I do see a smart, if not coward, Utah team that knows the possibility does exist, that BYU could pull off a close win at the bowl game.

This would be a terrible defeat for the Utes. Bragging rights that they have enjoyed since going to the Pac 8/10/12 would be gone, They, a P5 member of a Pac 12 team, losing to a non P5 team, (BYU), would be too hard for them to take.

There would be no shame for them to lose to another P5 team, but lots of eyebrows would open if they lost to us, a non
P5 team.

Indeed, Utah has nothing to win with a victory over a non P5 team, (BYU), as they are expected to win, like we were expected to win teams like UCONN, East Carolina, Cincinnati, FCS Wagner, San Jose State, Fresno State and Utah State. And like there is no real honor wining over these teams, there would be no real honer for Utah to win over us at this time. However, if we would have lost to any of those teams listed above, there would have been a lot of embarrassment and shame. The same is true with Utah if they were to lose to us at this time.

So as I said above, the Utes are either cowards to play us, or they are smart for not wanting to play us, or perhaps,
the cowards are just smart for not wanting to play us,

I think, that if our HC does not go on a family outing or give our coaches and players time off with time to heal and rest, our chances of winning vs the Utes are better than 50/50 and that is just too big of a risk for the Utes to take.

The Utes will complain and threaten not to go to a bowl game for as long as they can in protest, but in the end, the Pac 12 will refuse to let the Utes back out and they will do that which the fear most at this time, and that is playing us,

Our coaches had better be ready, Film room is an absolute must. Teaching our team and all the coaches how to win this game is an absolute must and the same preparation or more must go into winning this as the preparation that went into the Nebraska, Boise State and UCLA games. Nothing less will do.

Aro, I tend to agree more with you than I do Dan_Snow on this issue.

Playing 9 P5 teams, like Utah had to do and come out 9-3 is a lot different than BYU playing 4 P5 team and coming out with a 9-3 record.

Even if Utah had 3 easy (give me) games, we had 8 easy( give me ) games. The average of those 8 teams had a SOS far lower than the average of Utah’s 3 (give me) game’s SOS.

Realistically, our 9-3 comparison to Utah’s 9-3 record is like comparing apples to oranges.

Having said that, I do believe that there is a slight chance that we could beat the Utes at this time, unless we just blow it with silliness, be that silliness coming from the players or the coaches or both. I don’t expect that to happen this time.

I’m going for USC.

That would be a great game also… UCLA also gives some interesting things as well.

But, who would be coaching us for the game? I bet the Vegas Bowl people are steaming!!!

Bronco said he was… So I guess that answer the question.

I wonder how the players will handle this. Especially with past problems we’ve had in Vegas with the wilder kids. Why could he not wait until after the bowl game to announce this? It doesn’t make sense…

My son told me the news about Bronco. I think his move makes good sense for him and for Virginia. I would bet $50 that Holmoe was aware and maybe even they decided together that it would be best for all concerned if Bronco left. Or Bronco saw the writing on the wall and got out when he could. This gives the Y a chance to bring some new blood into the program and hopefully this time a people person who is a great coach. Good luck to Bronco and to the Cougars.

Bronco is a people person and a great coach. That’s why Virginia wants him and willing to pay him big bucks!

No, they see that won-loss record and are hoping.

I was wrong.

Utah vs: BYU…I couldn’t be happier. These games are always close so I will say BYU 24-21