BYU's class of 22 is the bomb

Ironically the only 2 undefeated BYU teams in history shows us that 1 of them won the national championship being voted by your religiously biased media and coaches. RC Slocum is the head of the CFP right now. He voted for BYU’s National Championship. Just spouting off religious bias as a reason for BYU being ranked #14 is not a good look. Get the facts straight and make a sound argument without the ranting emotional outburst because it isn’t becoming.

And we need to start putting more than 1 guy a year into the NFL. If BYU is sending several guys to the league every year, it dilutes the “weak schedule” argument. Speaking of weak schedules, can you imagine if we were in the Big12 this year? Hahaha! That league plays some atrocious defense. This BYU team would be putting up 40-50 every game this year in that league.

I was with you until the Cincinnati remarks. Currently, the strength of schedule for BYU is 71 and Cincinnati 64. That’s only an 11% differential change. The difference from BYU’s decrease to #14 from #8 is 75%. BYU also beat a ranked team and Cincinnati has not. The AP and Coaches have it right.

No way BYU deserves to be in the playoff. But 10000% deserves a NY6 game. But we all have to remember that the CFP ranking committee was created for one—and only one—reason: to make sure the P5 conferences keep the big bowl money. Putting BYU in a NY6 game costs the P5 millions of dollars and the guys on the committee are the very guys whose athletic departments get the money. That should be easy for us all to see. That said, I THINK 10 guys on this BYU roster can make NFL teams, and if that’s true BYU is without question one of the 10 best teams in the country.

1 Like

Chris, you get the “BOOM! Mic drop” award for that post. The reason the Iowa AD sounds like such an a-hole so because he can’t/won’t just tell the truth: “We can’t let BYU play because it will mean giving BYU $5m instead of giving that $5m to my own conference and thus giving my Iowa U athletic department an extra $500k to fund my non revenue sports.” We could respect him if he actually just said that, but instead he talks like a two faced (par foe the course) politician.

The AP and coaches both have Cincy ahead of BYU … so I agree with you that they have it right. Cincy SOS is better than BYU. Cincy is going to play a ranked Tulsa… maybe twice and if they win that it will help them even more. Hopefully Tulsa wins.

Hopper you have to look at the SOS of the teams in between Cincy and BYU. You can’t just say that a 75% decrease hit BYU out of the rankings without looking at the SOS of the other teams.

Boom! back at you.
We are all chasing our tails on this one. 1-The CPF says over and over that BYU did not play a tough enough schedule…2-The media tells them what BYU had to do just to get a schedule and what they are seeing (BYU #1 nationally scoring margin, defense bla bla bla). 3- BYU tries in vain to schedule a good P5 or ranked G5, there are no takers.
BYU football: Only game Cougars are playing now is the waiting game - Deseret News

Everyone in the football world wants to see just how good BYU is except the CFP committee. They were designed to keep all the $$$ and they are doing their job. Deal with it.

There may be those that really care-I don’t. I’m more interested in getting better each year and winning the games we should and developing the program. 4 teams, with tremendous recruiting potential, no religious conduct stipulations to turn recruits away and make the final 4 each year. You look at the players on these teams andi its like watching a lower level NFL team-size, speed, athleticism. You are right- no chance and probably rightfully so. After all, in the past decade BYU has been a mediocre team losing to some other mediocre teams. It’s a process that must be endured and rightfully so but it is moving forward. In all facets of life their are facets of bias and discrimination, especially when it comes to money. All we can do is move on and keep developing the program and get better and I believe that is what BYU is trying to do

1 Like

Most people in the south know that the CFP committee and those before them are corrupt and in the pockets of the rich and powerful in college football.

I didn’t say that in a vacuum. I also included the fact the strength of schedules are not that statistically different. 11% at the most. So, I agree Cincinnati belongs ahead of BYU. Just not 75%.

That was 35 years ago. Are you claiming that the landscape and circumstance is exactly like it was 35 years ago? Nothing has changed? In that scenario, yes BYU would have a chance to win a national title. But things have changed, haven’t they… In fact they have changed a lot. Much of the change is a direct result of what happened 35 years ago, is it not? The best team in college football is determined through a playoff, the only voting that takes place is to select which teams participate in that playoff.

What in the world are you talking about? I would love for you to find where I actually said any of this. Do I believe it is possible though? Sure I do. Like I said, things are different today than they were 35 years ago, but you don’t seem to recognize or acknowledge that. You think some group is going to vote on who they think is the best team? No, they have a thing called a playoff to determine that.

If you want me to get the “facts” straight, what facts do you want me to use? Facts aren’t even used to decide who is worthy of attention or what team is relevant. I can point to Utah in 2008… how about those facts? They beat 5 ranked teams, the sacred cow Alabama, went undefeated and still didn’t win the national championship. I am glad that Larimer shed some more light on what it obvious to most of us currently. The CFP committee exists for one reason, to protect and horde the money and throw a bone to the rest of the outside college football teams every once in a while to keep them “happy”. BYU can line up for their bone every once in awhile and hope it comes their way but they will NEVER make it into a playoff with the hope of winning a national championship ever again. That happened in 1984, accept it and stop dreaming the impossible dream.

I don’t know what else I can say…

Nope I am not claiming the landscape is the same now as 36 years ago. It is better. Less bias. The BYU national championship isn’t the reason they have a CFP now. The BCS didn’t even come into existence until 1998, 14 years after BYU won. The CFP didn’t enter the picture until 30 years after BYU was voted National Champs in 2014.

If BYU goes undefeated 2 seasons in a row let alone 3 seasons … which is your comment that got this issue into the forum … I think they will be in the CFP and win it at least 2 times of the 3 seasons they go undefeated. That is the bottom line. I think that under normal circumstances in a non Covid year, that if BYU goes undefeated they will be in the CFP. Your spouting off about BYU going undefeated 3 seasons in a row and not even being invited to the CFP is what I took issue with to begin with. My opinion is that BYU will get invited into the CFP with an undefeated record in a non Covid season.

Not even one of the factors? BYU’s national championship has nothing to do with the CFP’s existence. You are cherry picking my comments, twisting them and choosing how to respond to specific points. What about the Utah comment? What about Larimer’s point about the purpose of the CFP committee? These are facts we inherently know and there is plenty of evidence to support them.

Listen, UCF went undefeated 2 seasons in a row and didn’t sniff the CFP. Can you tell us all how many non P5 teams have been invited to the CFP since its inception? I will save you the trouble… NONE. Those are two pretty big evidentiary “facts” that might lead a person to believe that it will not happen. If you combine that with the fact that we both know BYU isn’t going undefeated one season (when they play a schedule like the one they had planned this season) let alone 2 or 3, then it is easy peasy for you to make your claim that they would win it all 2 of the 3 times. You and I both know that will NEVER happen, yet somehow you will continue to dream the impossible dream. :flushed:

The reason I spouted off about it is because it can never happen. I don’t care how good they are, there is no way they could pull off 3 undefeated seasons in a row playing a competitive schedule (one good enough to gain them consideration). What makes you think it could? Other than blue goggled delusion and dreaming the IMPOSSIBLE dream… what makes you think it would happen? What sort of evidence can you provide that even makes it something to consider or talk about? It’s crazy nonsense.

First, when you use words like “Always” and “Never” and phrases like “couldn’t ever” or “won’t ever” you lose credibility. Inevitably you will be wrong.

I didn’t bring up the 3 undefeated seasons in a row … you did! I think they could go undefeated and get invited to the CFP but 2 or 3 seasons in a row probably isn’t going to happen. Although BYU has run off nearly 25 wins in a row before so you “never” know.

I am not addressing the Utah comment or Larimer because those issues weren’t what I was talking about. You made silly comments about knowing “for sure” the future and what the CFP would do if BYU went undefeated 2-3 years in a row. I am saying that the CFP would let BYU into the CFP if they went undefeated 1 year but especially 2 years. You can say that you believe they won’t be allowed in … and I wouldn’t argue with you. But when you tell us what we believe and what the CFP will do … when you have no sway over the decisions made by the CFP, and no crystal ball, it gets old reading your all knowing comments without the disclaimer that you believe rather than “know” what the the future holds.

We weren’t talking about whether BYU could go undefeated for 2-3 years. You were saying that if they did that the CFP committee still wouldn’t let them into the playoff. I disagreed. That was the argument.

All “knowing” aside, I do BELIEVE that in the 6 (and now 7) years that the CFP committee has been in existence they have not invited one non P5 team into the playoff. I don’t BELIEVE they have invited a G5 team or independent, they haven’t invited another undefeated non P5 team, I don’t BELIEVE they have invited a team outside those from their “elite” group of 65 teams. Is my BELIEF accurate?

The reason I say “they” is because they (the CFP committee) are the ones that determine who goes and who doesn’t. They have a few committee members from outside the P5 conferences, but I BELIEVE those representatives are there to give fans the perception of objectivity and fairness. I don’t BELEIVE they have much to say about the final poll. :laughing:

I apologize that my use of certain words doesn’t meet your level of standard for credibility. All of the sudden I am not credible anymore. Thank you for the condemnation. Let me rephrase my “BELIEF” about BYU and the CFP. I do not BELIEVE that BYU will get an invitation this year or the next 100 years (notice I didn’t say they will never be invited).

Here is why I BELIEVE this -

1. I BELIEVE there are 65 football teams from P5 conferences (that is 13 per conference average) that start the season off in front of BYU and every other non P5 team (by virtue of their BELIEF that they are part of the elite group of college football teams nationwide) for that invite.

2. I BELIEVE that if 6 of those 65 P5 teams finish undefeated or with one or even two losses (which is highly probable) I don’t BELIEVE BYU/any other non P5 team would be invited, even if that team is undefeated.

3. I BELIEVE (actually it is fact) UCF, a G5 non P5 team went undefeated 2 seasons in a row and wasn’t invited to the CFP, being ranked behind multiple 2 and even 3 loss P5 teams in the final rankings of those undefeated seasons.

4. I BELIEVE the 1984 BYU national championship still chaps the hide of many of the college football elite P5 teams, coaches and fans, past and present. I do not BELIEVE it is the reason the CFP came into existence, but I do BELIEVE it is one of the factors.

5. I do BELIEVE that bias still exists in college sports, particularly those where lots of money is involved. That would be football primarily and basketball. Has that bias improved in the last 50 years? Maybe, but it is certainly debatable, especially when it comes to the big money sport of college football. Perhaps we should ask the 100’s of knowledgeable sports writers, coaches, players if they BELIEVE there is bias this season?

6. I do BELIEVE that what I stated here is relevant and that some of it is FACTUAL and TRUE.

Lastly, I BELIEVE that you, thawk, would be well served to look at the entire picture and puzzle in an effort to see all of it. I BEIEVE it might provide insight with regard to what actually happens in relation to what you BELIEVE can happen. I BELIEVE the real world is a harsh reality for us even though we can always hope for better. Unfortunately that better world will have to wait until after the second coming. We have to deal with the real world today.