Coastal Carolina

Would the CFP come back with, “CC is not a P5”? Just lookin at all the angles.

Wow Chris, great info on the CC president! I had no idea so thank you for sharing. Liberty AD is a real stand up guy and I’m happy for their program: any good indy program is good for BYU, and TH should try to schedule Liberty every year.

Defense:
CC allowing 135 ypg, rushing and 175 ypg passing. That is an EXTREMLY good pass D number, but only an average rushing D vs competition worse than BYU has played.
BYU allowing 93ypg and 191ypg passing–a good number BUT if you take off the 120 allowed on two garbage time TD bombs vs BSU, BYU would be 5th in the country allowing only 157 ypg passing.

Offense:
BYU averages 192 rushing and a whopping 340ypg passing.
CC averages 203 rushing and 238 ypg passing.

CC likes to run the ball then throw deep. I say good luck running vs our DL. But they average 10 yards per attempt, and that is a very efficient and dangerous passing attack. And they have allowed only 6 sacks in 9 games, which is AWESOME protection and decision making by their QB.

CC has a very good pass defense this year–as does BYU.
Both teams have good QBs.

CC has some legit playmakers and great speed. I hope Sitake has the courage to rush 4 or 5 and play man, because their WRs and QB will shred us if we play the soft zone. But I think BYU will have an overall advantage in size and talent on both lines, and that will be the difference. BYU wins and covers the spread.

I think that is a possibility Fish! But the public pressure will hit a new high on the committee. After all, Iowa St is directly in the bulls eye. CC beat Louisiana Lafayette and they beat Iowa St at Iowa. The CFP lead guy is from Iowa so he will have a big PR problem on his face IF BYU pulls off the win.

That guy has come off as being so disingenuous. Nobody deserves his comeuppance more than Berta. Guys like that have such hubris that they have stopped being embarrassed, but the media smackdown will be epic—IF we pull off the win and IF we win convincingly (I think a win by fewer than 10 points gets blown off as a good game between two top 20 teams–not two NY6 teams).

Play the game. Some are already starting to hedge on making excuses if we lose. Every team has tough road games. The players and coaches aren’t afraid of playing CC on the road, nor should they be. Going in to any game you need to be confident of winning and if for some reason it doesn’t work out- it’s part of the process, but at least you had the opportunity to make a statement. All we can ask in life is opportunities

Stats. BUYU

Key Offensive Stats

Stat Value
Yards/Play 7.7
Points/Play 0.648
Rush Play % 54.38%
Pass Play % 45.62%
Completion % 73.79%
3D Conv % 48.39%
RZ Scoring % 92.11%

Key Defensive Stats

Stat Value
Opp Yards/Play 4.5
Opp Points/Play 0.218
Opp Completion % 62.14%
Opp 3D Conv % 33.03%
Opp RZ Scoring % 66.67%

Stats. CC

Key Offensive Stats

Stat Value
Yards/Play 6.4
Points/Play 0.549
Rush Play % 63.31%
Pass Play % 36.69%
Completion % 64.43%
3D Conv % 53.77%
RZ Scoring % 86.05%

Key Defensive Stats

Stat Value
Opp Yards/Play 5.0
Opp Points/Play 0.254
Opp Completion % 61.16%
Opp 3D Conv % 29.47%
Opp RZ Scoring % 87.50%

Costal C allows the opponent Red Zone scoring 87.50% of the time, BYU-66.67%, biggest discrepancy I can find.

Great point! Winning on the road only makes it a better win! And the story of going cross country on basically zero notice will gain respect win or lose.

Also CC very run heavy. I can’t wait to see them try to block Khyiris. Our opp completion percentage is garbage, so I’m happy any time they run against us.

If I was picking what I would like a BYU opponent to try and do against us it would be RUN and it’s been that way for a long time😉

Looks to be a great matchup with BYU having the advantage. I would guess they have the edge on the OL and DL. Too bad I have to work😂

Our defense terrifies me against a good passer but I don’t fear anyone running on us. If CC can run for their average of 200 against Khyiris and friends, we don’t deserve a NY6 bowl anyway!!

Hans Olsen on Twitter: “BYU QB Zach Wilson is gonna have a day against CC. CC’s defense does a decent job of gap D but they struggle to account for mobile QBs. They leave soft spots in their zone and WRs separate on comeback routes in man. This game sets up very well for BYU’s offense. https://t.co/BKIBaNXQhr” / Twitter

Ya know that most gurus out there give the home team 4 points but for BYU to play on such short notice and have to travel so far, I would give them an 8 point home court advantage.

Young men, learn what melatonin is a take a bunch with you, you too Coach Sitake. I heard he had 3 hrs sleep thursday night.

That is true… But not every team finds out on Tuesday they are playing on Saturday across the country.

That is the only really hedging going on in my opinion, it does not give the coaches much time to prepare.

I wish BYU was at the point where Lavell was during the glory years, they never really changed their game plan from team to team, they told the teams, “You know what we are going to do, try to stop us” type mentality.

Travel would be the toughest thing, however BYU has been off for two weeks and should be well rested and anxious to get it on. Both teams will not have the advantage of film :movie_camera: so it’s a perfect storm and should be a good game and the opportunity for BYU to show that they can win under adverse circumstances, a lot like the BSU game and I like their chances

The one issue that bothers me in this contest isn’t the players or the home field or time zone advantage… it is that a very short week with almost no film study will put the focus directly on coaching and their ability or lack of ability to make adjustments and changes during the game. We might have better players but to put such a load on the coaches makes me nervous. I am not sure about the ability of some of our coaches to game plan on the fly. Not an excuse but just a worry. I would rather have the game measure our players vs CC’s players.

I think we have been preparing for two weeks for any team. Perhaps Floyd’s idea of Lavell’s method is what we will go on. Just try to stop our offense and hope our defense can stop them.

This is truly a test of our entire program with the national spotlight focused squarely on us for everyone to see. ESPN will love it. The huge audience of the East Coast will tune in and I suspect the coaches and teams of every power 5 conference will sneak a peek because while they love to exclude non P5’s they are wary of BYU actually having a legit team. Even those who don’t think BYU is legit have enough sense to know they could be wrong so they will watch.

You make a GREAT point noting that many are very, very concerned that BYU may be as good as Herbstreit, Des Howard, Rece Davis, and many other experts believe. Many of those people (mostly the P5 elites) will watch hoping to see BYU face plant. But MANY others will watch not rooting against BYU, rather just rooting for good football. If we play well we will win going away in front of lots of knowledgeable football fans and earn not only a W but respect from those fans.

Who knows–maybe Gary Barta will even see BYU play for the first time this year :slight_smile:

Interesting News in the sports Section of the Deseret News today…

Report: 13th-ranked BYU Cougars were tentatively planning on playing 7th-ranked Cincinnati Bearcats this weekend - Deseret News

So if Cincy did not have Covid-19 issues we would have been playing them this weekend.

I would rather take Cincinnati with a full week to prepare than CCU with no time to prepare