Coastal Carolina

CC has to prepare for BYU just as well, remember, they were prepping for Liberty up until the minute that BYU entered the picture. It’s a wash, what is not a wash is BYU having to travel on short notice. Give CC an 8 point, not the customary 4 point advantage.

News also surfaced (publicly, at least, as this is something we had talked about on our VIP Message board for a couple of weeks now) that BYU nearly played Cincinnati this weekend. The Cougars and the Bearcats had an unannounced (unofficial?) agreement in place to play in Cincinnati this week. But, due to the COVID outbreak at UC, the game could not come to fruition. Fortunately for BYU, they were able to strike a deal quickly with Coastal Carolina once it became clear that Liberty’s COVID issues were going to prevent them from playing in South Carolina this week. What a ride, this 2020.

12COMMENTS

The near-game against Cincinnati and the actual-game against Coastal Carolina signal a clear message from BYU. The Cougars want to play, and as long as they are able to reasonably prepare and ensure that they can travel without being told that the game is canceled at the last second, they will play anyone and anywhere. The Cougars have been on the butt end of criticism following reports that they had turned down a game with Washington on Thanksgiving weekend. While it wouldn’t have mattered in the end, because the PAC-12 set Utah and Washington up for a game that would have trumped BYU’s agreement, the criticism was loud and it was everywhere. But, the fact that BYU had agreements to play #7 Cincinnati and will play #18 Coastal Carolina should go a long ways in proving that BYU is willing to play football, but it just didn’t work out against Washington. per 247 sports

I like BYU to win big. Maybe 41-20? I think both our lines will overwhelm their lines and that will be the difference. I’m glad we got this game—ESPN game day, huge props from national media for having the stones to go cross country to play a ranked team on what was effectively no notice. Awesome. If BYU takes care of biz it will be awesome, but I think we have to win and have to win convincingly to get respect.

I know the powers that be are working like mad men to get this thing broadcast nationally but come on, ESPNU? Any news there?

Was listening to ESPN radio, they had the CC game caller on to pic his brain. He said that CC was going to focus on Time Management. Just get 1st downs. Run Run Run and Dink passes. If they can sustain long time eating drives, they think that they will slow Wilson and BYU down enough to win the game. They have a big TE, Likely who is fast enough to be a wideout, who, I think will play a big role in the game tomorrow. Speed at all the skill positions but average on the lines.

I would think that BYU, with its Line advantage on both sides of the ball will win the day. BYU will most likely rely heavily on Algiers to get the run game going early, get CC to commit more players to the box, then strike deep with Milne and Romney. Rex is going to have a big day as well.

if BYU stays calm, plays their game, we will score plenty on offense. On D, BYU can’t let Grayson McCall, a redshirt Fr, sit back and pick us apart. BYU should be very healthy and ready with exception of Batty off the edge (who is doubtful)

I also think BYU can score 40+ , If BYU shuts down the run, we win by a wide margin, otherwise CC game get into the 30s.

It also make s BYU look desperate. I can’t think of a P5 that would do it. Fresno St comes to mind back in the day. Given the CFP, it was the right move. I WISH THEY WOULD FIND A WAY TO BROADCAST THE GAME PRIMETIME. ESPNU does not do it for me. Couldn’t they rebroadcast the game nationally late night?

The big game announcement that I had heard through the grapevine was a possible Cinncy matchup, right about the Wash leak. Covid blew that up.

If BYU runs away with this game then I think they are a legit top 8 team. If they barely win it they are top 15. My fear after watching this CC team is that they are way better than people realize. Skill positions are speedy and they appear to have a good blocking scheme on offense. The key to winning this game is our defense. If we can overwhelm them on defense we will win by 20. If we can’t stop them … it may be a 30’s battle on our hands.

Its a risk worth taking imo.

Hey, is this Jim I am talking to? How’s it been 'ol chap? Good to see thst most of the old posters are still around. Excluding S.G. of coarse. :grin:

They will come up with any and every excuse possible for excluding byu. Certainly if byu wins these last 2 games they HAVE to be in the top 12. Right? Not sure how the committee can justify a snub, but I wouldn’t be too surprised if they do it anyway.

Cards are stacked, but byu is doing everything they can do. Hopefully the hype byu can generate with a couple wins here will offset the bias.

CFP clowns will look like complete idiots if they keep byu out with an 11-0 record.

No not Jim. He has been missing since a stake Pres calling sidelined his free time.

Ahh, okay. Saw the name Hawk and thought you might be the infamous Jim. Good to meet you.

I am infamous? Infamous - well known for some bad quality or deed.

I used to think I was an asset around this place and people respected my opinions but that has sort of gone out the window lately. I have no credibility now because I have been too aggressive with my opinions stating them as things I know rather than things I believe.

I am assuming that Chudd is a different name than one I am familiar with from the past. Yes, I am “Jim” the infamous one. Not sure why I’m infamous, but if that’s how people know me then so be it.

By the way, I was released as bishop this past month so I have a lot more time on my hands now.

The CC game was so painful to watch. It was one of the hardest games, in recent memory, to sit through. I officially hate Coastal Carolina. They are a mediocre team that is having the season of a lifetime as all the cards are falling together for them. They have jerky players, a poor team vibe and honestly, they aren’t very good… they were just a little better than a horrible BYU team tonight. I wasn’t impressed with anything but their running backs. The QB was average, their defense was average, their O-line held a lot. The officials for this game were terrible. They never got control of the game and they acted disinterested in what was going on, especially when they stood there and watched Wilson get abused after the hail mary pick at the end of the first half. Somebody try and convince me they are a good team, I’m listening.

Next season BYU beats them by 30 when they go to Provo.

The only thing good about their school is that they will have the grandson of E.T. Benson as their president soon.

You obviously don’t know football. They are a good team. They have won 10 games. They were dominant in DII football for years and are making the adjustment just fine to D1. They exposed BYU coaches and a weak defensive game plan. They also exposed the OL of BYU as being slow of foot and a left tackle who shouldn’t be playing that position at all. QB is a freshman and he did a great job. Sour grapes. They might make a NY6 bowl and if they do they will give it a good fight. Legit defensive end, 2 great RB’s and a very good offensive line. They can pass rush in their sleep better than BYU anytime.

The defense was poor. We know that. Not because of Kaufusi. Because of how the coach used him. He was interviewed after the game was in tears the entire time. Time to lay off him. Realize he’s just following and doing what the coaches asked him to do.

With that said, we should have still scored at will. That first play and touchdown that was called back showed what we needed to do. Get receivers out in the open and make the moves. We didn’t do that. Again, the play calling was just plain strange. And Wilson didn’t look comfortable out there.

I knew I could draw you in with those comments…

You are a hypocrite man. Always getting after me for my comments and then posting similar comments and making it seem okay.

You absolutely came unglued when I said “I know that BYU will never get an invite to the CFP”. Like who really cares if someone said that or not? This is a message board and people can say whatever they want. I don’t care if grasshopper spouts off a bunch of nonsense or says something I agree with. I let him know and I move on. I do the same with others as well. I agree with your opinions most of the time but you are losing my respect lately, mostly because of your attitude and self righteous comments.

Sorry to you if I am not smitten with Coastal Carolina. Other than a few highlights here and there they didn’t impress me at all. There is a reason they were picked to finish last in their division in the sum belt conference. Their current season is an anomaly, D2 powerhouse or not. It is their first winning season since becoming D1 and they play in a low end conference at that.

They are a red neck bush league team. Call it sour grapes if you want, BYU played like crap and still came up 2 yards shy of winning a game they had no business winning because of how bad they were.

I knew a guy who I liked in the past but he was kind of arrogant about his football “knowledge”. You aren’t that guy are you? Semper Fi…

Nah… not against an awesome defense like Coastal Carolina has. They are so good. :roll_eyes:

They had a good game plan and they were playing a team that had played one game in the last month. BYU had no time to prepare, had to fly across the country on 2 days notice, etc. This game was doomed from the start. I said something about BYU having nothing to be gained from this game unless they won big so there you go.

Keep on writing so we can get a better snap shot of your football knowledge. “There is a reason CC was voted last in their preseason rankings” … yep there is a reason. People like yourself who know very little about football vote too! 10-0 look at the scoreboard and time of possession and the fact that they have beaten 2 top 20 teams and one of those teams beat a top 9 team and the other beat a #22 team. Just keep telling yourself that CC is a bush league bad team. Just repeat it over and over and I think it will be true. You do right? Give them the credit they deserve and you won’t look so bad. Or don’t …

And BYU didn’t play like crap … they got beat by a better coaching staff and players who had a motive and a chip on their shoulder by hearing that BYU was the better team all week … by the pundits.

The BYU defense was coached like a middle school team. The key to a good defense is controlling the line of scrimmage and having a pass rush. BYU had neither of those things covered. It doesn’t matter how bad you say CC was … BYU was worse. Lose with class please.

There is a reason it is called a pre season vote …before the games are actually played!!! It is just one of the funnier things I have ever read that your down grading and bashing of CC consists of evidence of a preseason vote of being last in a league before a game is even played. New low even on your scale of evidence.

Yes they have 2, possibly 3 NFL type players on the CC team. BYU has 5-7, CC is NOT a better team, they are a better coached team.

I have to agree with you that this one was on the Coaches mostly. Although, we had a couple dropped passes that would have made a huge difference and a bad holding call and a non-personal foul call at the end of the half.

What Jim is saying, I think, we are much better than they are with the right preparation and coaches ready for the game. More than CC being good, the travel and other situations made the coaches and players not as proficient as we have been.

It’s not just the coaching. If CC had flown out to Provo for the game they would have made more errors and not as prepared. The decision to play had a huge influence in our performance. CC had played teams that run similar offenses and defenses as we do. But, we had not played against a spread offense like this nor a swarming defense like CC. We needed something on our side like playing in Provo making them travel and a little bit slow.