Covid 19 and sports

Whether we like it or not, Life in the US is about to change. The mass hysteria at the grocery story is only the tip. This virus is loose in every state and with an incubation period of 5-8 days, it may already be widespread…most likely it will be a slow roll into communities and be a killer of older folks with poor immune systems.

Some viruses take 2 or 3 seasons, meaning, they will get you next flu season. Just not a lot known about this killer yet. What really pisses me off is how the media sensationalizes it to get ratings. Me, I just want straight talk and to be responsible and to help out where I can.

It was a fun bball season while it lasted. If this was the last game the cougs play, they surely got robbed because I had them as a sweet 16 team. I still think the NCAA will try to fit in a March Madness somehow, someway.

I think it would be good for the public’s mental stability to have something positive to look forward to. I do think this virus will get lots of focus and we will find a vaccine for next year sooner than later.

Do you think college Winter athletes will get another year of eligibility? Like Childs and Haws being able to play again next year? I don’t. And I don’t think they should. I know that sounds harsh. But they played almost the whole season. And for some, like seniors at Univ of Portland and San Diego, they did finish their season.

If the season was cut short in the middle or even 2/3 of the way in, I’d feel differently.

By the way, I’m not sure Childs would want to come back for another year. He’s already a little old to be trying the NBA.

Btw, have you noticed how many BYU guys are playing overseas? I expect Haws, Toolson, and Childs to join them next year.

Childs will have a shot in the NBA. He fits in well. I wouldn’t want him to come back. Time to move on to the new guys.
I think the NCAA should still play the tournament. They could do it in May.

The thing about Corona Virus is that is actually been around for a long time. It is found in your family pet and must be vaccinated for it.

I just spent the weekend up at my cabin, It was so nice to smell clean air, and not see a single person closer than 30 ft. My son told me if it gets worse( both my wife and I are over 60 +), he is going to insist on my wife and I to move up to the cabin and he will bring in food for us. If I had better and more reliable internet service I may consider it,

Craig, I thought that extension was for the spring sports like Soccer, Baseball, Track and Field, etc,

Floyd - Yes, the extension is being discussed for Spring sports like Volleyball and Baseball. But it’s also being mentioned for the end of Winter sports. In the article on the front page, Pope mentions it.

Okay, Never heard about the winter sports section being included… Thanks for the update.

Just curious for those people who thought this was a hoax, still believe that?

I am not saying people are not over reacting to this, but it seems that some of the things I have researched, says this is a legit bad boogeyman virus.

Complete nonsense. As of yesterday, 87 deaths in the U.S. 87,000 flu deaths this season. 0.1%. I’d like Fauci explain why he thinks 1 million people in the U.S. could die. Especially since it’s only killing those over 65 who are immune deficient. Do you want to explain this oh most knowledgeable one?

I will say this. A friend of mine who died 3 years ago said then the U.S. society has been around too long to stay sane much longer. We now are witnessing why Rome burned with insanity.

I have to be concerned about the lock down throughout the United States and across the globe. It is obviously a real disease and can kill people with the elderly being the most vulnerable. I just wonder if the total shutdown of everything is warranted. I worry about us becoming a police state. The effect on businesses and jobs could be devastating. I have watched a few press conferences and I am convinced so called “journalists” today are the bottom of the intellectual heap asking the president and others when this will all be over. How can anybody answer that kind of a question? One answer to the question is that it will be over after the election if a Democrat is elected. That’s my cynicism speaking. The other answer is it will be over when it is over to paraphrase Yogi Berra.

My company is requiring me to work at home. That is a good thing. if there is anything positive about any of this.

A friend of ours we minister to is less active. She attends another church and plays the organ for them. I think part of her issue is she has been very liberal. But, for the first time in 3.5 years, she watched a press conference today with the President and his team. She messaged me how she never realized how the press was so bad to the President. All she ever tuned into was CNN and MSNBC. She also said how impressed she is with Trump and Pence. Ya, the media sucks.

It’s a real virus. What bothers me is Fauci saying if this spikes we could see 2 million die. I think he’s talking about inside the U.S. Just fear mongering! They say the virus may have first been here in October. How does he extrapolate 91 deaths to 2 million? Especially since over the same basic time 90,000 people have died from the common flu? How does this end up being a police state? Makes no sense.

Go look at Italy, because that is exactly what they didn’t do (lockdown) and the count of positive virus soared.

Contrary to what other posters think, What the President task force team suggest for us to do is based on the data coming in from China, Korea, Italy, France and England.

Now I heard what they are doing in California, and I have to admit, I think that is overboard. But from what the doctor on the task force team said “The restaurant and bars closing” is to mitigate the spread of the virus.

I listen to Governor Cuomo of New York, as you might expect he is no fan of Trump. But today he said, “I think what the President has done is right thing to do”, Then he went on to chastise the media for trying pit word against word to cause confusion and fear.

The way he presented it, I thought the message was clear to the media “Stop with pitting Democrats against Trump” during this crisis time. It is time to come together, time to think as a group (Americans) and not parties

Let’s look at this. Check a chart on the worldwide pandemic. Notice some places the death rate is low. Some are high like Italy. We didn’t lock down right away either. Yet, 91 deaths in a country of 350 million? Why is Italy so high? They have a lot of older people. But so does some of the others with lower death rates.
Another thing someone mentioned was medical workers who care for the sick with this virus are getting seriously sick at a much higher rate regardless of their younger age. What does your huge brain tell you why?
I wouldn’t use Cuomo or Newsom as a good sign. They love totalitarianism being good leftists. They are happy. This would be a good time for them to confiscate guns.

hey everybody, let’s just err on the side of caution this time around. Italy is in a big s__t storm because they were not proactive. Seriously, we have China, bad example and Taiwan, good example on how to beat this.
Avoid big crowds
Wash 20 secs with real soappy water (about the time it takes to sing, Happy Birthday)
Self coronatine if you senior and are compromised.
Sars was a great example of what will happen so lets just all do our part and quit arguing about it.

Did we go through all these contorted stages with SARS? No… this is a great example of why the second amendment is so important. People start starving because hoarders are taking all the food. Anyway, I’m not staying cooped up for this hoax.

I am really not arguing with anybody about this. I am thinking out loud as much as anything and voicing some concerns. If a place like Italy loses 10s of thousands of people and we end relatively unscathed then it will all appear good that we took some tough steps.

I don’t care so much about the loss of sports but the general shutdown of society is a concern. If it saves 10s of thousands of lives then it will have been worth it.

That’s another concern. How do you know so many would have died? Last I saw was 91 earlier today. Fauci said yesterday there was a spike from 8 deaths to 22 in a single day. It seems to have killed more people each day for the past 2 weeks as we have become more paranoid and more isolated.

I heard that Fauci is going to announce tomorrow that Grasshopper is his new Press Secretary and Spokesman.

1 Like

How about head of the CDC. I’ll first stop this crazy fear mongering that 2 million Americans are going to die.