Final thoughts on end of the regular season

Come now…You and your bird brother are going to claim grades as the excuse? I assure you both Stanford and Notre Dame have much higher standards. Let’s keep this discussion within logical reasoning.

Hopper, not “much higher scores” at Stanford and Notre Dame than BYU! BYU average ACT is 29.3, Stanford is 30.8 and surprisingly Notre Dame is 31.3.

BYU enrollment is 33,000, Stanford is 16,000 and Notre Dame is 12,000. BYU FB seating capacity is 64,000, Stanford is 50,000 and Notre Dame is 77,000. BYU could fill over half of their stadium with their own students, but we don’t! Stanford could only fill almost 1/3 of their stadium with students and ND can only fill 1/7th of their stadium with their students. The season ticket holders appear to be the ones filling the ND stadium because the student section is only about 4,000 seats or about 25% of the student body. Stanford has 5,000 student seats so their alumni or season ticket holders are also responsible for the vast majority of their attendance. BYU offers about 16,000 student seats … down from 22,000 back in the 1990’s and 1980’s. That is a concern and points to the increasing grade geekiness of the BYU students … coupled with a greater percent of married students now than in decades past… and a much greater married % than Stanford or ND students! The Overall BYU attendence is down over the last 2 years by 5,000 a game. Stanford is down also. ND is actually up this year … but the team is doing better than they have in 10 yrs. So, the number one factor in attendence appears to be the the success of the teams! Stanford and ND have roughy the same percentage of student attendance as BYU. BTW, the colleges with lower admittance scores than BYU, Stanford, and ND have much higher student attendence % at football games … like Oregon, Texas A&M, Clemson, Alabama, Washington State, Utah State, Boise State, Houston, Memphis, Miss St, Penn St, Ohio St, Mich, Mich St and Iowa St. You can go down the list of colleges who have decent FB programs and also don’t have tough entrance requirements … including Utah since 2003 and they beat our pants off in the percentage of student body attending football games! Maybe it is just our sorry football team but I think the high study habits and requirements …coupled with the changes to missionary age and % of married students are hurting the BYU attendence. Everyone loves a winner though … and we can’t produce that right now either.

WOW! Bill O’reilley would give you an A+ for the spin you presented. Going from entrance requirements for athletes to trying to figure out why attendance is down. ACT? Takes more than a high ACT score to get into ND or Stanford. A lot more!
As far as attendance, that is usually attributed to success of the team. My wife went to BYU in 1972-74 and said they wouldn’t have to ever worry about good seats and could just walk in and sit around the 50 yard line. When we got there in 1977, the program was winning and I had to sit for hours on a specific day to get good tickets on the 20 yardline second deck. Second deck is better than first in my opinion anyways.

Cheap shot? What have they done in the past 10 years, other than attend a few games, to show BYU Athletics has more than minimal importance?

Another cheap shot. You think they waste time?

Maybe I am delusional but there is some hope for the future. I believe about 8 freshmen started on offense at different times. Several other key players were sophomores. There is no senior on the offensive side of the ball who will be missed in my opinion. I am not sure who returns on defense. That may be an entirely different story. I know Corbin Kaufusi, Takitaki, Shelton, Dayan Gwankalu (spelling?) all leave. I am not sure what defensive starters will be back without scanning over the roster. Anybody know who is coming back or how many defensive starters come back? The placekicker returns and he was decent and was a freshman. I think the punter leaves but he wan’t that great and shouldn’t be hard to replace.

Next year should be better. Whether it will be enough better to make us all happy is another question.

I am by nature an optimist and it usually takes a few games to deflate my optimism. About one more stinker like Saturday’s fiasco against Houston will deflate my optimism for hoops this year. Houston is a good team but not so good they should come into Provo and dominate the game. It reminds me of the disasters the last few years against UT Arlington and Utah Valley State. For right now I am hopeful football will be good next year.

The irony about the football season is that many “smart” guessers said that BYU would go from 4 and 9 to 6 and 6. Yet, we are disappointed. Yes, we had the opportunities to be 9 and 3 going into the bowl. But, as we say Saturday, our freshman and sophomores are simply not as good as other big programs in the same position. It takes BYU longer to develop the 2-4 star athletes than say Utah’s 3-5 star athletes. But, we seem to eventually get them to a point that we can win 10 games a season. That’s where Sataki is.
Next year, we will be 9-3.

I believe our offense will be better next year. I think our defense could very possibly be worse. Whom do you see stepping up to fill our departing seniors shoes? I think 9-3 next year is optimistic. 7-5 at best.

Also, on the Utah game, I think the coaches deserve some kudos for having the team more prepared to start the game than Utah. The game took a turn when Hadley went down. If he kept running the ball, we would have won.

Where did I say that they waste their time, unless you consider BYU sports a waste of time?

Have to disagree about Hadley. That wasn’t the problem. The defense disappeared! So did the good play calling in the 4th quarter. But, so did the confidence of players. All coaching.

The BOT have more important things around the world to be working on. That’s why they hired a university President. It’s the university administration that is in charge of hiring and firing.

They lost when they started playing not to lose-not the first time

BYU’s football schedule is killing them. Jarom Jordan’s ideas that we need to cut the number of P-5 games is what I believe in. So long as BYU is playing so many P-5 games and has a much less depth in roster as P-5 teams we will more than likely not ever get into a P-5 conference. Our coaching staff, especially on the offense
is killing us too. We needed to call more wide open offensive calls in the second half in the Utah game.

I was looking at 2019 schedule.

1. Utah - tossup
  2. at Tenn - loss
  3. USC - loss (more injuries)
  4. Washington - loss (more injuries)
  5. at Toledo - tossup (still hurting)
  6. Bye - not enough time to heal players
  7. at USF - win
  8. Boise State - loss
  9. Bye - still recovering
  10. at USU - loss
  11. Liberty - win (barely)
  12. Idaho State - win
  13. at UMass - win (barely)
  14. at SDSU - loss and no bowl

BRUTAL early season again will hurt our BYU players. I like Independent but early season against thos P5 are killing our BYU team!

Utah is winnable, as is Washington, and Boise State. The latter two losing 4 year starters at QB so that’s a big question mark. Tennessee is doable, but a long shot. Utah State-i really don’t know whom they lose or retain. BYU should be good offensively, but defense is a big question mark, especially if they don’t upgrade the DC. It’s another one of those tough schedules that really don’t do much for us getting in a P5 conference, because we lose most of them.

1 Like

Ya, tenn is winnable. Utah is winnable at our place. Washington won’t be as strong as this year. USC is also winnable. They won’t be any better next year. Toledo we win. Boise is a home game and winnable. Utah State will be weaker. SDSU is always beatable. We will go 9-3

:smile:good laugh

I don’t see anything you said is based on any facts. They are just guesses without facts.

You do realize that BOT stands for board of trustees, which is different than the Quorum of the 12 plus the First Presidency. Some apostles do serve on the board but not all. But my original point still stands: BYU athletics has a very low priority. Image is more important than winning, even if one can win with a good image.

Depends what the mission statement is for the school. Everything else is built around it’s purpose for being. BYU is one of those schools. So is Notre Dame and so is Stanford. I once taught and coached for 16 years at a Catholic high school. When we had our 6 year re - certification, we always started by writing a new mission statement to increase production in the area(s) needing greatest focus. From there, every department formed their goals around the mission statement. The BOT understands this but I’m pretty sure you are clueless about this sort of thing. The BOT and the Brethren have to approve of the mission of the schools they own. With the fact that BYU total admission of students and the huge increase of the Church membership that it has become increasingly more difficult to enter into BYU. Just like with Notre Dame, Stanford, USC and many others.